Rogue Audio RH-5 Impression Thread
Mar 27, 2021 at 7:50 AM Post #136 of 718
So, today has been my first full day of listening to my new system and now that my brain has adjusted to the sound, I am absolutely floored with what I am hearing. I honestly did not know headphones were capable of this kind of sound, and my Aeolus and Atticus both sound incredible. I have never heard such a huge and enveloping soundstage out of either headphone. The tonality and timbre are spot on, and there is a touch of finesse and ease to the sound, but the transients are still lightning fast, and the bass hits hard and is so detailed and textured it’s insane. The amp has some serious grip and control on the drivers and you can feel the power. With all of this and everything sounding so natural and lifelike it really is like being “there”. I just listened to the song, Rusted Root - Drum Trip, which is an amazing tribal drum solo/intro, to the band Rusted Root’s famous song Ecstasy. I closed my eyes as the song was playing and I was transported to the last time I saw them live. I was standing front row at that show in a small venue in Dallas,TX years back, and I really felt like I was there listening with my Aeolus today and it was breathtaking. I literally started crying, as it overwhelmed me with how real it sounded. This amp is worth every penny and then some, and should be way more popular, and would be for sure if more people heard it. I absolutely love this amp, and I am happy to call the RH-5 my endgame hybrid.

This combo is insanely good, and is "Endgame" level sound!

Sonnet Morpheus & Rogue RH-5
20210326_174647.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2021 at 8:44 AM Post #137 of 718
So, I did some tube rolling yesterday, and the Mazda 6189 triple mica silver plate, sound really good. They have great treble and extension up top, but were a bit to pushed back in the mids for me, and lacked bass compared to the Raytheon 7730 long plate d getters. Don't get me wrong, the Mazda's do sound incredible. However, the Raytheon 7730 are much more present in the mids and bass, and just have more of that tube magic (delicate euphonic detail in the mids/highs). With the 7730 vocals and instruments sound real and lifelike, and with the Mazda 6189 things sound a bit more artificial.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #139 of 718
So, today has been my first full day of listening to my new system and now that my brain has adjusted to the sound, I am absolutely floored with what I am hearing. I honestly did not know headphones were capable of this kind of sound, and my Aeolus and Atticus both sound incredible. I have never heard such a huge and enveloping soundstage out of either headphone. The tonality and timbre are spot on, and there is a touch of finesse and ease to the sound, but the transients are still lightning fast, and the bass hits hard and is so detailed and textured it’s insane. The amp has some serious grip and control on the drivers and you can feel the power. With all of this and everything sounding so natural and lifelike it really is like being “there”. I just listened to the song, Rusted Root - Drum Trip, which is an amazing tribal drum solo/intro, to the band Rusted Root’s famous song Ecstasy. I closed my eyes as the song was playing and I was transported to the last time I saw them live. I was standing front row at that show in a small venue in Dallas,TX years back, and I really felt like I was there listening with my Aeolus today and it was breathtaking. I literally started crying, as it overwhelmed me with how real it sounded. This amp is worth every penny and then some, and should be way more popular, and would be for sure if more people heard it. I absolutely love this amp, and I am happy to call the RH-5 my endgame hybrid.

This combo is insanely good, and is "Endgame" level sound!

Sonnet Morpheus & Rogue RH-5
20210326_174647.jpg

Great write up @Wes S :beyersmile:

Mar 27, 2021 at 9:28 PM Post #140 of 718
Hi,
I hope everyone is doing well.

I was reading with interest about changing the fuse in the RH-5. I've never tried to swap a fuse, so I'm not sure how difficult it is to do. Is it like swapping out tubes, which I've done before? Also, are we talking about swapping 1 fuse?

I'd like to try, and was thinking of ordering the Hifi Tuning fuse. Can someone tell me the exact fuse to order? I think it's the slow blow 1A fuse, but is it small or large supreme? What about the Synergistic Orange fuse, is it the same type?

Thanks in advance,
James

Mar 27, 2021 at 11:25 PM Post #141 of 718
Hi,
I hope everyone is doing well.

I was reading with interest about changing the fuse in the RH-5. I've never tried to swap a fuse, so I'm not sure how difficult it is to do. Is it like swapping out tubes, which I've done before? Also, are we talking about swapping 1 fuse?

I'd like to try, and was thinking of ordering the Hifi Tuning fuse. Can someone tell me the exact fuse to order? I think it's the slow blow 1A fuse, but is it small or large supreme? What about the Synergistic Orange fuse, is it the same type?

Thanks in advance,
James
The fuse to order is 1A (1 Amp) slow blow, sometimes called “timed”, small size: 5x20mm. Hifi Tuning and Synergistic Research are good brands; the SR are pricey at $150. There is only one fuse in the RH-5; it is on the left-hand side of the main circuit board. Slowly & gently!

Mar 30, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #143 of 718
@RobertSM You weren't kidding, when you said the RH-5 throws a massive stage with the Verite Closed. This pairing is dynamite and I am loving it!

Mar 30, 2021 at 7:26 PM Post #146 of 718
I agree, I like to give some time to warm up with tubes, even more with all SS.

Mar 30, 2021 at 7:32 PM Post #147 of 718
Note also, while the RH-5 has a power switch on the front it has a "ready" switch on the back that if left on all the time keeps some of the circuitry running on a low voltage to keep it primed so to speak.

From the manual:
1617147135342.png

Mar 30, 2021 at 7:55 PM Post #148 of 718
One final note on that "ready" switch on the back. If you keep it on all the time as I do and you experience a power outage, when the power comes back on the unit will turn on completely, just as if you pushed the front power switch to on, and the unit reverts to factory settings on volume, gain, and input, as that outage action would be the same as turning the "ready" switch off then on again as far as the circuitry is concerned. The RH-5 generates little heat so it doesn't present a real problem but if I'm going away for few days I do turn that switch off so I'm not putting useless hours on my pricey tubes.

I exchanged e-mails with the company a few years back about this and that is normal per the circuit design.

Mar 30, 2021 at 8:32 PM Post #149 of 718
One final note on that "ready" switch on the back. If you keep it on all the time as I do and you experience a power outage, when the power comes back on the unit will turn on completely, just as if you pushed the front power switch to on, and the unit reverts to factory settings on volume, gain, and input, as that outage action would be the same as turning the "ready" switch off then on again as far as the circuitry is concerned. The RH-5 generates little heat so it doesn't present a real problem but if I'm going away for few days I do turn that switch off so I'm not putting useless hours on my pricey tubes.

I exchanged e-mails with the company a few years back about this and that is normal per the circuit design.
That is some great info and much appreciated!

Apr 1, 2021 at 2:09 PM Post #150 of 718
That is some great info and much appreciated!
Hi, I received upgraded SR Orange fuse, but the instructions say the fuse is directional, and that "electricity flows from left to right" when you view the fuse. Before I install the new fuse I'd like to understand in what direction the fuse should be installed or it even matters. How do you know in what direction the fuse should be placed? Thanks very much. James

Users who are viewing this thread

Back