Rogue Audio RH-5 Impression Thread
Dec 6, 2023 at 8:41 PM Post #708 of 718
Just got my RH-5 back. They couldn't find any issues which I honestly expected to be the case. I have basically confirmed that my hearing is rather sensitive with noise (big surprise). They replaced the screen which had few broken LED's in a straight line so that is nice at least. Do you guys think that I should upgrade the fuse and do more tube rolls or should I just move on? I've tried NOS RCA 5963, Genelex E88CC, NOS Philips long plates, GE Grey plates. The 5963's are my favorite of them all because they are a bit forward and have the fullest bass of them all I think. The Genelex's sound very dull, the Philips made me nauseated from too much treble maybe. These 5963's have a nice quiet/soft treble, definitely my preference.

The rogue is just annoying to me since the balanced output is do much noisier than single ended. Why have it if I wouldn't use it ya know?

I am seriously considering replacing the rogue with this D3a amp: https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/vacuum-tube-d3a-parafeed-headphone-amplifier.57272/

Dec 17, 2023 at 9:24 PM Post #709 of 718
New Rogue RH-5 owner here. My unit is en route. The unit popped up on US AudioMart this past week and I simply could not resist. Purple Fuse ordered as well. Working my way through tube suggestions in this thread - great insights.

I've been curious about this AMP for a while. Better late than never :slight_smile:

Dec 18, 2023 at 1:35 AM Post #710 of 718
New Rogue RH-5 owner here. My unit is en route. The unit popped up on US AudioMart this past week and I simply could not resist. Purple Fuse ordered as well. Working my way through tube suggestions in this thread - great insights.

I've been curious about this AMP for a while. Better late than never :slight_smile:
@David222 congrats!
Are you using Rockna with it? If so am I very looking forward to your feelings. Overall I'd say WL likes tube amps.

Dec 29, 2023 at 3:37 PM Post #712 of 718
Finally had a free moment to get the Rogue up and running. I spoke with the guys at Rogue and confirmed the fuse circuit direction (left --> right) per pink arrow below. I recall @RobertSM has a detailed (fuse) post earlier in the thread as well. I'm not 100% if that is in fact the left side of the SR Purple Fuse - for some reason it seems a bit trickier (to me) to tell with the LARGE fuse the left from the right side. I have the purple SR letters over on the left side (was my assumption).

Synergy is excellent with the Rockna Wavelight. No audible noise floor. She's running silent thus far.

I did not realize (or remember) - apparently I only had 12AT7 in my stash - which should not be used with the RH5. I scrambled and quickly picked up this pair of CBS 5814A via ebay -- working on a more significant order of 12AU7 (Mazda, Mullard, Brimar, Raytheon) over the new year weekend.

AMP sounds great so far - also love all the really thoughtful functionality (Remote, Gain Switches, etc.). Seems highly flexible to cater to a broad array of headphone/impedance - really fantastic.

IMG_4131.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2023 at 3:47 PM Post #713 of 718
Finally had a free moment to get the Rogue up and running. I spoke with the guys at Rogue and confirmed the fuse circuit direction (left --> right) per pink arrow below. I recall @RobertSM has a detailed (fuse) post earlier in the thread as well. I'm not 100% if that is in fact the left side of the SR Purple Fuse - for some reason it seems a bit trickier (to me) to tell with the LARGE fuse the left from the right side. I have the purple SR letters over on the left side (was my assumption).

Synergy is excellent with the Rockna Wavelight. No audible noise floor. She's running silent thus far.

I did not realize (or remember) - apparently I only had 12AT7 in my stash - which should not be used with the RH5. I scrambled and quickly picked up this pair of CBS 5814A via ebay -- working on a more significant order of 12AU7 (Mazda, Mullard, Brimar, Raytheon) over the new year weekend.

AMP sounds great so far - also love all the really thoughtful functionality (Remote, Gain Switches, etc.). Seems highly flexible to cater to a broad array of headphone/impedance - really fantastic.

IMG_4131.jpeg

Great report! Please share your experiences regarding tube rolling. So many great tubes in this category allow one to really tune the amp to suit one's preferences.

Jan 1, 2024 at 1:34 AM Post #714 of 718

IMG_4131.jpeg
I felt that the Wavelight was a good match for the RH5. Congrats and I hope it is fantastic for you!

Jan 1, 2024 at 10:31 AM Post #716 of 718
I've never been a big telefunken fan - too sterile for me. If I ever try them again ... it will be G73r

Next tubes on deck for the Rogue are Brimar CV4003, Brimar 13D5, probably some Mullards for fun...

I'm also sourcing a pair of Mazda triple mica - 1950s -- I've not heard Mazda before -- think I saw Robert mention these earlier in this thread and will likely try for myself.

I've been unsuccessful thus far to find Raytheon (double mica or triple with Windmill getter). Also unsuccessful in my search for 4034s... still early innings for me with the Rogue... Still on the hunt!

Jan 18, 2024 at 5:33 PM Post #718 of 718
Next ..... twin Telefunken G-73R 😮😳🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back