Rogue Audio RH-5 Impression Thread
Sep 10, 2023 at 11:07 PM Post #691 of 718
Okay I think I could be experiencing burn in mania for the first time. My RH-5 has been on all day for the past 11 hours keeping those tubes warm. I really feel like I am hearing more of the headphone qualities that I remember and not the amp messing things up like before. Still only listening to the LCD-2, gain 1 vol. 76. Vocals are forward and the bass has tightened up some. Drums got pushed back, all things I like. Still hard to tell where this will go. I suspect this is all just tube conditioning and these GE Grey plate O-getters just need some long burn in time as per the norm. Starting to dig this amp. I have it hooked up to my active adam t5v's and they sound nice, though I wish there was a pre/head selector on the amp. Switching the individual speakers off is the only way to disable the pre-out otherwise it plays both headphones and the speakers. Also if I want to go back to speakers only, switching them on doesn't enable the pre-out of the rogue; if there isn't a headphone plugged in while I switch on the active speakers, the rogue won't output. I guess you have to mute the audio, then turn on the speakers, play the music through both outputs, then unplug the headphones. There should be a toggle!

Oh I forgot to mention that my particular RH-5 was an early run unit and the seller had just gotten it back from Rogue to update it to current specs. Not sure if any caps/resistors were replaced but that would explain the negative experience I was having sorta. I could have been hearing the raw from the factory sound.

This album was fatiguing this morning but not it's gripping me right and putting me in the mood :)

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2023 at 9:29 PM Post #692 of 718
Who will win, a Furman power conditioner strip or a ordinary 120V mains outlet in a less than ideally wired 1970's ranch house. Place your bets!

I bet wrong, I did a lot of critical listening to my RH-5 two weeks ago and determined that I wasn't into it's sound and possibly tubes in general. I really was disappointed in the overall lifeless energy from this headamp. That was running the Rogue plugged into my Furman PST-8 that I've used without flaw for years.

I stumbled upon some forums while doing my normal research that state that amps should always be plugged strait into the outlet and not conditioners. This was never made clear to me at all in this hobby and I guess I'm still learning. Shame on the masses of audiophile youtubers that failed to express this I guess.

That lifeless sound I experienced is gone now and I feel like I'm hearing it for the first time again. I still don't know what I really prefer for amps at all or tubes. I would like to go further down this hole with upgrades to the RH-5 but I am hesitant since I love the sound of my PS audio GCHA so much.

Sep 30, 2023 at 9:36 PM Post #693 of 718
Who will win, a Furman power conditioner strip or a ordinary 120V mains outlet in a less than ideally wired 1970's ranch house. Place your bets!

I bet wrong, I did a lot of critical listening to my RH-5 two weeks ago and determined that I wasn't into it's sound and possibly tubes in general. I really was disappointed in the overall lifeless energy from this headamp. That was running the Rogue plugged into my Furman PST-8 that I've used without flaw for years.

I stumbled upon some forums while doing my normal research that state that amps should always be plugged strait into the outlet and not conditioners. This was never made clear to me at all in this hobby and I guess I'm still learning. Shame on the masses of audiophile youtubers that failed to express this I guess.

That lifeless sound I experienced is gone now and I feel like I'm hearing it for the first time again. I still don't know what I really prefer for amps at all or tubes. I would like to go further down this hole with upgrades to the RH-5 but I am hesitant since I love the sound of my PS audio GCHA so much.
Very interesting … and comports with what Ben Zwickel (founder of Mojo Audio) has said vis-a-vis Mystique DACs. I have also forgone the use of power conditioning - opting for a dedicated AC circuit / line.

Oct 1, 2023 at 5:21 PM Post #694 of 718
Been testing my hand-me-down tubes today on the RH-5. Two different sets of Genelex gold lions, one pair GE Grey Plate O-getters, one pair Radiotechnique-Philips Long plate 1958. Pre out to my Adam T5v near field monitors. RH-5 plugged strait into the wall, I'm smart now :)

The gold lions both sounded dull and poor overall. They barely lit up at all, not sure if that's how they are designed. Needed gain 3 and 140 volume minimum to get the right level for my speakers. For such good looking tubes, disappointing.

The Philips-Radiotechnique Long plates got interesting. A very loud sound, I didn't have to crank the volume past 120 on gain 1. Staging was the immediate change I noticed; felt like everything had a larger definition front to back which was cool. Tonality was in the right place but it was like everything was too excited. I felt nauseated listening to my speakers and it made my HD600's sound pretty bloated across the spectrum at normal levels. Lowering the volume to fix this in turn made everything sound shouty, recessed, and further back in the somewhat small stage. The seller of this RH-5 said that his friend recommended these tubes because he has them in quad in a Rogue preamp. Maybe just too much for headphones and studio monitors? More ideal for low sensitivity speakers? Who knows. Maybe more burn in required.

And the tubes that will be staying plugged in for a bit longer, the GE Grey Plate O-getters. I like these the most. A balanced sound that excels in male vocals and bass control. Not much to say about these, everything sounds as it should. I'm not through the roof over them but they are palpable to me. I would say maybe a bit too much sub-bass and a bit too recessed female vocals. Sound stage is great but on the small side. With the Philips long plates the high frequencies did a better job at imaging and some background chimes did a crazy good job doing that twinkly dance around the back of the stage.

So, I gotta experiment! 1959 RCA 5963 Grey long plate foil getters on the way!

1969 RCA 5963.PNG

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2023 at 12:04 AM Post #695 of 718
RH-5 plugged straight into the wall, I'm smart now :) ……

So, I gotta experiment! 1959 RCA 5963 Grey long plate foil getters on the way!

• Nice tubes coming!
• When it comes to 12AU7 / ECC82 / ECC802 tubes, I have found that, ceteris paribus , the ‘long-plate’ variety gives better sound than the ‘short-plate’ variety. Why? I guess it is because of greater surface area for wider plate emission of electrons 🤷🏻‍♂️
• How long is a ‘long-plate’? 17 millimeters. Examples of great ‘long-plate’ 12AU7 tubes: Lansdale (Philco) 12AU7, Raytheon ‘windmill getter’ 12AU7, RFT ECC82 (foil getter), Sylvania ‘yellow print’ 12AU7, Telefunken ‘red tip’ ECC82, Tesla ECC802. 😀

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2023 at 9:42 PM Post #696 of 718
Holy crap peoples, these tubes are winners. My new RCA 5963 foil getter grey long plates came early today and they have been warming up for the last 15 mins or so. The seller said they were both tested at 110/110 equally (idk exactly what that means but I know it's good); also he said they were both tested in a preamp and were dead quiet. I definitely believe him here.

I am noticing a difference in background hiss from the amp, around half as much as before. Still noticeable but only when my room is completely quiet which is never. Hard to tell the difference between the hiss of the amp and the chamber echo of my ear drums with sealed headphones (yes, I can hear that well). My questyle CMA400i hiss is about the same (solid state with AKM dac) .

I just have my HD600's on so far and currently listening to "Fresh Air" by Yoshihiro Koseki. BLISS

Volume 95 on gain 2

First thing I noticed was a serious fullness in the bass and mids, like kicking an above ground pool fullness. Second is proper natural soundstage! This actually sounds like a performer right in front of me and I have never heard it quite this good. Air in front of the instruments is perfect, in-between is crisp, and the decay is superb! Detail is accurate and forcefull. This sound is a perfect mix of engaging and relaxing. Honestly this could be the best thing I have ever heard atm. Emotions are emotions and they change all the time, but these new tubes here in the RH-5 are really performing! It feels like I am hearing everything from everywhere, exactly how I should. Super full and deep bass, clear and forward highs that aren't bright/harsh, excellently controlled vocals. I would say these tubes allow you to REALLY focus on the soundstage without distraction. I'm finding it hard to listen to which frequency could be more elevated than the other and I can't really. Honestly perfection, this might end my journey for a while.

Listening to the Kill La Kill OST now and this album can really get in your face. Really a blissful listen with this setup!

Exactly what I wanted! WOW! How lucky am I? NOS RCA 5963 Foil getter grey long plates are a champion with the RH-5!!!

Shoutout to Arizona Tube supply! (https://arizonatubesupply.com/)

Can't stop listening! :k701smile:

Oct 4, 2023 at 9:45 PM Post #697 of 718
Holy crap peoples, these tubes are winners. My new RCA 5963 foil getter grey long plates came early today and they have been warming up for the last 15 mins or so. The seller said they were both tested at 110/110 equally (idk exactly what that means but I know it's good); also he said they were both tested in a preamp and were dead quiet. I definitely believe him here.

I am noticing a difference in background hiss from the amp, around half as much as before. Still noticeable but only when my room is completely quiet which is never. Hard to tell the difference between the hiss of the amp and the chamber echo of my ear drums with sealed headphones (yes, I can hear that well). My questyle CMA400i hiss is about the same (solid state with AKM dac) .

I just have my HD600's on so far and currently listening to "Fresh Air" by Yoshihiro Koseki. BLISS

Volume 95 on gain 2

First thing I noticed was a serious fullness in the bass and mids, like kicking an above ground pool fullness. Second is proper natural soundstage! This actually sounds like a performer right in front of me and I have never heard it quite this good. Air in front of the instruments is perfect, in-between is crisp, and the decay is superb! Detail is accurate and forcefull. This sound is a perfect mix of engaging and relaxing. Honestly this could be the best thing I have ever heard atm. Emotions are emotions and they change all the time, but these new tubes here in the RH-5 are really performing! It feels like I am hearing everything from everywhere, exactly how I should. Super full and deep bass, clear and forward highs that aren't bright/harsh, excellently controlled vocals. I would say these tubes allow you to REALLY focus on the soundstage without distraction. I'm finding it hard to listen to which frequency could be more elevated than the other and I can't really. Honestly perfection, this might end my journey for a while.

Listening to the Kill La Kill OST now and this album can really get in your face. Really a blissful listen with this setup!

Exactly what I wanted! WOW! How lucky am I? NOS RCA 5963 Foil getter grey long plates are a champion with the RH-5!!!

Shoutout to Arizona Tube supply! (https://arizonatubesupply.com/)

Can't stop listening! :k701smile:
Great tubes, great seller ☑️

Oct 5, 2023 at 9:14 PM Post #698 of 718
IMG_20231005_210425.jpg

A/B testing with the Auteur OG. This is very hard. Hard not to like either and hard to pick which is really best for the zmf. Sadly, the solid state GCHA is giving me more clarity while the Rogue has a slight soundstage advantage. The GCHA is seemingly better suited to the auteur's timbre. I don't understand this. With the rogue, everything not directly in the foreground is muddy sounding, a no bueno with the Auteur as it is so good at delivering clarity in the entire stage. Amp/headphone synergy is perplexing. The HD600 sounds stellar on both amps and benefits from the rogue quite a bit. It doesn't get muddy like these Auteur's. Color me confused and a bit sad.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2023 at 9:30 PM Post #699 of 718
Thinking a bit more. I think I really just defined the difference between these amps. I love listening to gritty grungy music on the Auteurs. Tubes smooth that tone and attack quite a bit, SS doesn't. I think that this is a new reality that I must adapt to. Oh the trials of loving multiple different genres! :triumph:

Nov 17, 2023 at 7:52 PM Post #700 of 718
Calling all RH-5 users. I am trying to work out what I need to do to get the most out of my RH-5. My unit seems to have a abnormally high noise floor, like 30db at least. It's louder though the balanced output and makes using the XLR very close to unlistenable. I have the option to send it in to Rogue for a inspection (they are 3 hours north of my home). How loud is the noise floor on everyone else's RH-5's? Could the fact that I don't have any tubes with high burn in time be the cause?

I already found some tubes I really enjoy tonally (lucky first try). I plan to upgrade the fuse to either the hifi tuning or SR purple in the future.

Nov 18, 2023 at 10:31 AM Post #702 of 718
What headphones are you using with this amp? I don’t hear noise on mine, but I use them with high impedance headphones (ZMF). With low impedance, high efficiency ones I can hear noise.
With my ZMF Auteur OG running xlr, I can hear the noise shine through the quiet parts of the music. 1/4" cuts it in half making it listenable. Then I have my HD600 and the noise is a bit less but still very audible. And with my ATH-WP900 its like I am listening to music already when I plug in the cable, very loud. I am pretty sure there is somehting wrong with the unit.

Nov 18, 2023 at 10:35 AM Post #703 of 718
Defective. 😒

Nov 18, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #705 of 718
I dont remember it being noisy at all. Did you just get it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back