Rogue Audio RH-5 Impression Thread
Feb 23, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #121 of 718
I just picked up a set of Hifiman Susvara. I plan to use them with my Schiit Audio Yggdrasil dac. I have a ALo Studio Six tube amplifier but I don't think it has enough power to bring out the best in those headphones. Rogue Audio RH-5 vs Schiit Audio Ragnarok? Feedback appreciated

The RH-5 has tons and tons of power on tap. So I think a pairing with the Susvara would be a good one. I'm personally not a big fan of the Schiit gear so I can't really comment. In terms of audio pedigree, Rogue Audio has a built reputation as top level manufacturer.

Mar 18, 2021 at 5:04 AM Post #122 of 718
Hey there folks.
I am happy to be joining the RH-5 club! :gs1000smile:I have one arriving on Monday, and can't wait to hear it. I am an avid tube roller and collector, and have a pretty decent stash of some killer top tier NOS 12AU7's to roll.

Left to right in the pic below - Brimar CV4034 (Tubemonger special), 7316 Long Plate Foil D Getter, Raytheon 7730 Long Plate D Getter, and Valvo ECC82 Long Plate Foil D Getter (Hamburg bottom code first version)

20210317_172826.jpg

These tubes are as rare as they come for a reason and I am stoked to hear them in the RH-5. I do have a pair of Mazda 12au7 grey plates coming with the amp and a pair of Mazda 6189 triple mica silver plate coming from eBay as well. :grinning:

Happy listening,

Wes

Mar 18, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #123 of 718
Hey there folks.
I am happy to be joining the RH-5 club! :gs1000smile:I have one arriving on Monday, and can't wait to hear it. I am an avid tube roller and collector, and have a pretty decent stash of some killer top tier NOS 12AU7's to roll.

Left to right in the pic below - Brimar CV4034 (Tubemonger special), 7316 Long Plate Foil D Getter, Raytheon 7730 Long Plate D Getter, and Valvo ECC82 Long Plate Foil D Getter (Hamburg bottom code first version)

20210317_172826.jpg

These tubes are as rare as they come for a reason and I am stoked to hear them in the RH-5. I do have a pair of Mazda 12au7 grey plates coming with the amp and a pair of Mazda 6189 triple mica silver plate coming from eBay as well. :grinning:

Happy listening,

Wes
Wes how do you fare with eBay tubes? Please report back what you like about each "rolling".

Mar 18, 2021 at 12:31 PM Post #124 of 718
Wes how do you fare with eBay tubes? Please report back what you like about each "rolling".
Hey there,

I have had zero issues with ebay tubes, and have been buying them for years. I do only buy from a handful of reputable sellers though, that were recommended.

I will definitely report back with my findings after rolling them and spending some time getting a good feel for each one.

Fun times ahead!

Mar 18, 2021 at 2:09 PM Post #125 of 718
Enjoy the RH-5. Let us know what you think of the various tubes you roll. Personally I use a very similar pair of Adzam 12AU7 6189's. This pair is marked "SQ" for special quality. My understanding is that the tubes were tightly screened and only the tubes that made the cut received this special quality mark.

Mar 18, 2021 at 3:00 PM Post #126 of 718
Enjoy the RH-5. Let us know what you think of the various tubes you roll. Personally I use a very similar pair of Adzam 12AU7 6189's. This pair is marked "SQ" for special quality. My understanding is that the tubes were tightly screened and only the tubes that made the cut received this special quality mark.
For sure and good stuff!

Mar 23, 2021 at 8:15 AM Post #127 of 718
RH-5 is in the house, and sounding amazing!:grinning: To start with, I rolled in my favorite 12au7 the famous Raytheon 7730 Long Plate Square Getters, and oh my word this is a top notch amp no doubt. Mazda 6189 tripe mica chrome plates up next. . .

20210322_185720.jpg

Mar 23, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #128 of 718
RH-5 is in the house, and sounding amazing!:grinning: To start with, I rolled in my favorite 12au7 the famous Raytheon 7730 Long Plate Square Getters, and oh my word this is a top notch amp no doubt. Mazda 6189 tripe mica chrome plates up next. . .

20210322_185720.jpg

Wes, congratulations. The RH-5 is a outstanding amp. I see your running ZMF's. The RH-5 with ZMF's is a unreal and totally underrated pairing. My Verite with the RH-5 throw the absolute widest soundstage of any headphone and amp combo I've ever heard. It also has lighting fast transients. Enjoy and keep sharing as you continue to roll tubes.

Mar 23, 2021 at 12:44 PM Post #129 of 718
Wes, congratulations. The RH-5 is a outstanding amp. I see your running ZMF's. The RH-5 with ZMF's is a unreal and totally underrated pairing. My Verite with the RH-5 throw the absolute widest soundstage of any headphone and amp combo I've ever heard. It also has lighting fast transients. Enjoy and keep sharing as you continue to roll tubes.
Thanks man! I am loving it with my Aeolus and Atticus. Also, I have a Verite Closed on the way. Fun times ahead!

Mar 24, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #130 of 718
how is this amp with low impedence 32 ohm headphones, i have the focal stellia's and am very interested in this amp

Mar 24, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #131 of 718
how is this amp with low impedence 32 ohm headphones, i have the focal stellia's and am very interested in this amp
The output impedance of the RH-5 is 0.1 ohms. The RH-5 has plenty of gain. The Stellia should pose no problem in being driven by the RH-5.

Mar 24, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #132 of 718

Let me also add that the RH-5 has 3 gain settings. So you have no issues matching your headphones impedance with the correct level of gain. And as has been said the RH-5 has plenty of power on tap. So you've got plenty of headroom to play with via the volume knob.

Mar 24, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #133 of 718
Let me also add that the RH-5 has 3 gain settings. So you have no issues matching your headphones impedance with the correct level of gain. And as has been said the RH-5 has plenty of power on tap. So you've got plenty of headroom to play with via the volume knob.
ok good to know, some headphone amps that drive hi impedence headphones arnt that great with low impedence headphones. wasnt worried to much about power but more on synergy with such a efficient headphone as the focal stellia

Mar 24, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #134 of 718
ok good to know, some headphone amps that drive hi impedence headphones arnt that great with low impedence headphones. wasnt worried to much about power but more on synergy with such a efficient headphone as the focal stellia

Well that's the beautiful thing about the RH-5. The fact that it's a hybrid amp you get the best of both worlds. The soild-state section provides the dynamics and speed and power of the MOSFETS. The tube section adds the unmistakable tube favor. Because the 12AU7 tube is a known audio tube you have a ton of choices if you decide to tube roll. You can get some warmer Mullard or Brimar tubes if you want the mid range warmth and slightly relaxed top-end. Or you can get the Holland made Amperex tubes if you want a cleaner more linear sound. Not to mention all of the made in the USA NOS tubes available. I mean you can season the sound to your flavor, so to speak.

I firmly believe the RH-5 is seriously underrated in the Head-Fi community. Rouge Audio has a excellent reputation in the stereo/2-channel world. I mean the Rogue RP-9 and RP-7, 2-channel pre-amps are two reference class pieces. The RH-5 headphone amp is trickle down technology from these tried and true platforms. So on that level the amount of R & D that has gone into this RH-5 is really impressive.

I realize with the ongoing pandemic, visiting a dealer to audition gear is really tough, if not impossible. But this headphone amp in my book is a hall of fame level amp. It's that good.

But don't only take my word. Search the net and read up...But I think you'll find that most everyone feels the same way I do.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2021 at 5:37 PM Post #135 of 718
Well that's the beautiful thing about the RH-5. The fact that it's a hybrid amp you get the best of both worlds. The soild-state section provides the dynamics and speed and power of the MOSFETS. The tube section adds the unmistakable tube favor. Because the 12AU7 tube is a known audio tube you have a ton of choices if you decide to tube roll. You can get some warmer Mullard or Brimar tubes if you want the mid range warmth and slightly relaxed top-end. Or you can get the Holland made Amperex tubes if you want a cleaner more linear sound. Not to mention all of the made in the USA NOS tubes available. I mean you can season the sound to your favor, so to speak.

I firmly believe the RH-5 is seriously underrated in the Head-Fi community. Rouge Audio has a excellent reputation in the stereo/2-channel world. I mean the Rogue RP-9 and RP-7, 2-channel pre-amps are two reference class pieces. The RH-5 headphone amp is trickle down technology from these tried and true platforms. So on that level the amount of R & D that has gone into this RH-5 is really impressive.

I realize with the ongoing pandemic, visiting a dealer to audition gear is really tough, if not impossible. But this headphone amp in my book is a hall of fame level amp. It's that good.

But don't only take my word. Search the net and read up...But I think you'll find that most everyone feels the same way I do.

Hope this helps.
Good stuff and I completely agree! I am only on day 3 with my RH-5, and I am completely blown away by this amp. I have some killer tubes (Raytheon 7730 Long Plate D Getters) in mine, and this is the sound I have been after since getting into the hobby. I have used the words "being there" before when describing gear, but it was always a bit of a stretch. However, with the RH-5 and Sonnet Morpheus, I am "there" with the musicians and it is freakin incredible. I can't recommend this amp enough, and like Robert said the 12au7 is a great tube and there are a bunch of options and flavors, so that is a big plus too.

Next tube roll up for tonight - Mazda 6189 Triple Mica Silver Plate

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back