Rogue Audio RH-5 Impression Thread
Sep 12, 2020 at 2:47 PM Post #91 of 718
Hi, maybe I’m not representive, but in my humble opinion there is a difference when changing to quality brands. Depending on brand, money and matching, I can for sure hear sonic improvement.
I have mostly used Transparent Cables but now changed to Vertere.
Yes, even Rogue was bettered with new cable.👍

Nov 22, 2020 at 11:43 PM Post #92 of 718
I received my rogue rh-5 from the dealer about a week ago. I have been burning it in a bit. So far the unit is stating to sound better in my set up. I was wondering if anyone who has had the rh-5 for awhile had upgraded the stock fuse to a premium fuse type. I am a big fan of fuse upgrades having had a lot of success over the years with upgraded premium fuse types. I know that you usually hear a noticeable drop in noise levels . Among other things. So I would appreciate some feedback from anyone who has replaced the stock fuse in the RH-5 with a premium fuse type.
Oh by the way I have just joined the club for Rogue RH-5 owners based on what I have been reading most RH-5 owners are very happy with the amp. Oh by the way what is the fuse value for the RH-5 amp? I would appreciate the feedback.
please and thank you .

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2020 at 12:12 AM Post #93 of 718
I received my rogue rh-5 from the dealer about a week ago. I have been burning it in a bit. So far the unit is stating to sound better in my set up. I was wondering if anyone who has had the rh-5 for awhile had upgraded the stock fuse to a premium fuse type. I am a big fan of fuse upgrades having had a lot of success over the years with upgraded premium fuse types. I know that you usually hear a noticeable drop in noise levels . Among other things. So I would appreciate some feedback from anyone who has replaced the stock fuse in the RH-5 with a premium fuse type.
Oh by the way I have just joined the club for Rogue RH-5 owners based on what I have been reading most RH-5 owners are very happy with the amp. Oh by the way what is the fuse value for the RH-5 amp? I would appreciate the feedback.
please and thank you .
The Rogue RH-5 fuse is a 1A slow-blow. It is inside towards the left side of main circuit board. While not yet with a RH-5, I have routinely changed out the fuses, when possible, with Synergistic Research Orange fuses. Also true for external power supplies. The SROs are $160 each. Reward: lower noise floor, wider dynamic range for starters...

Nov 23, 2020 at 12:11 PM Post #94 of 718
The Rogue RH-5 fuse is a 1A slow-blow. It is inside towards the left side of main circuit board. While not yet with a RH-5, I have routinely changed out the fuses, when possible, with Synergistic Research Orange fuses. Also true for external power supplies. The SROs are $160 each. Reward: lower noise floor, wider dynamic range for starters...
Thank you Jonathan for your quick response regarding the fuse rating and type for the the Rh-5 . I myself have tried the hifi tuning and isoclean fuses with very good results over the years. I used to have a vintage concept 16.5 receiver from back in the days of the receiver wars. When they were shooting it out back then on the power range wars. The concept line was premium house brand sold by Pacific Stereo back then. I had saw it at a local hifi shop that sold used equipment as well. I had never heard of the concept brand before. The unit had been recapped . I was surprised how good it sounded on the speakers they had playing with it. I believe they were harbeths . The price was very reasonable considering the sound quality so I bought it. I changed the fuses (2 of them) and wow the sound improvement was quite noticeable. The unit was the top of the line way back then. It produced 160 watts per channel and weighed in at a heathy 67 pounds.
I unfortunately developed an issue with the power switch which was an unobtainable item so I had to get rid of it, Sigh!!!!!
I have to say with headphones it was an absolute beast like no high end headphone amplifier I have heard. They basically padded down the speaker output with resistors. After I changed the fuses to amazing effect it was a incredibly powerful headphone and surprisingly quiet amp. I would easily stack it up against the big moon or the luxmann big boy headphone amps and it would be more than a match for either of them . Frankly I was surprised at the sound quality of this basically 50 year old amp. Of course the receiver was recapped and probably had parts replacement .

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2020 at 3:12 AM Post #95 of 718
Well I just acquired a hifi tuning supreme 1a slow blow fuse for my new Rogue RH-5 . I replaced the fuse tonight and have been listening for a couple two three hours.
The change is very much for the positive. So far things are quieter and as I was listening the dynamics have started to really flesh out on recordings. It is making for a more exciting listening experience. If you have a RH-5 I definitely recommend you upgrade the stock fuse to a premium type of audiophile fuse. The effort will be a rewarding experience. It is in my case making me appreciate the strengths that the rogue has and takes the sound to the next level. Happy listening .

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2020 at 3:34 AM Post #96 of 718
Thank you for sharing the pics.

@LifeOnMercury, @huangwan

Thanks for the info. Those Abyss 1266's are rated at only 47 ohms. Their sensitivity of only 88dB must be the reason they are known to be hard to drive. It just seems like for a headphone amp to be capable of driving the most difficult of loads my volume output should be that of Huangwan's LCD3's instead of almost full volume at Gain 3.

I am interested in anyone else's experience of gain/volume settings when used as both a headphone amp and a stereo amp.
I had heard that the abyss 1266 are a handful to drive. I used to have a vintage concept 16.5 receiver from the late 70s when the receiver wars were being fought. Unfortunately the volume control wore out and and since it is unobtainum long ago. I had to reluctantly let go of it. But you would not believe how it sounded on headphones. The unit was designed to drive speakers of course. It put out 160 watts per channel and in the various blogs some considered it to be one of the very best sounding receivers at the time. I bought a refurbished unit which had the caps replaced among other things. I upgraded the fuses to isoclean fuses and heard an amazing transformation. The abyss would be childs play for this monster receiver (68 pounds) . The receiver basically padded down the speaker output to drive the headphone amp. It easily drove my akg 701s to deafening levels at low volume settings on the unit. So i have no doubt it could have driven the abyss phones easily with great authority.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2020 at 3:34 AM Post #97 of 718
Well the hi-fi tuning fuse is breaking in more. I am hearing the higher frequencies opening up. The rogue is sounding very natural with the supreme fuse. I would not phrase the sound as being soft I would say that the top end is refined. There is clarity but there is not that sense of approaching edginess that to some indicates that the unit is accurate and not smoothing anything over. As I said it does not sound soft or lacking in resolution. But I am waiting for the other fuses. The isoclean the furutech and the AMR gold fuse. I will be trying them when they come. For the present the Rogue is proving to be a amazing sounding headphone that to my ears is neutral and natural sounding. the sound has presence and very good dynamics,

Nov 27, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #98 of 718
Well the hi-fi tuning fuse is breaking in more. I am hearing the higher frequencies opening up. The rogue is sounding very natural with the supreme fuse. I would not phrase the sound as being soft I would say that the top end is refined. There is clarity but there is not that sense of approaching edginess that to some indicates that the unit is accurate and not smoothing anything over. As I said it does not sound soft or lacking in resolution. But I am waiting for the other fuses. The isoclean the furutech and the AMR gold fuse. I will be trying them when they come. For the present the Rogue is proving to be a amazing sounding headphone that to my ears is neutral and natural sounding. the sound has presence and very good dynamics,
If you want to navigate another tributary with your RH-5, you can swap out the tubes for other 12AU7s such as Gold Lion / Genalex, Mullard...🤔

Nov 29, 2020 at 2:28 AM Post #99 of 718
If you want to navigate another tributary with your RH-5, you can swap out the tubes for other 12AU7s such as Gold Lion / Genalex, Mullard...🤔
Not ready for that yet. But Jonathan the hifi tuning supreme fuse is making a statement of its own. I really like what it has done for the RH-5. The fuse has had a very large contribution in the dynamics area. I would definitely explore the fuse replacement for your RH-5. You will not regret it that is for certain. happy listening .

Nov 29, 2020 at 2:38 AM Post #100 of 718
Not ready for that yet. But Jonathan the hifi tuning supreme fuse is making a statement of its own. I really like what it has done for the RH-5. The fuse has had a very large contribution in the dynamics area. I would definitely explore the fuse replacement for your RH-5. You will not regret it that is for certain. happy listening .
I received two 1A slow-blow fuses: Synergistic Research Orange. The stock fuse is definitely coming out. I am looking forward to improvement in the RH5. The SROs certainly worked their magic on the LTA MZ3...

Nov 29, 2020 at 11:13 PM Post #101 of 718
I received two 1A slow-blow fuses: Synergistic Research Orange. The stock fuse is definitely coming out. I am looking forward to improvement in the RH5. The SROs certainly worked their magic on the LTA MZ3...
I have read comments about the synergistic fuses. But the price of admission is ridiculous . I thought the hifi tuning supreme fuse was ridiculous but the synegistic fuses are just plain outrageously priced. I did try one of their earlier fuses and I really thought the hifi tuning fuse sounded way better at the time. But their prices have just gotten way out of line . I draw the line at the hifi tuning supreme pricing. I am waiting for my isoclean furutech and AMR gold fuses to arrive. I have them on order. The total cost of the furutech the isoclean and the AMR are pretty close to the cost of SRO fuse.

Jan 26, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #102 of 718
I’m guessing this wouldn’t work well for a Kennerton Gjallarhorn JM which is 33OHM but 116db efficient. I am looking for a amp that does a decent job with it and my Verite and Thekk. I think the Pathos Aurium is a good bet because of the variable gain....just wondered if you guys had a opinion of the Rogue with the Gjallarhorn.

Jan 26, 2021 at 2:09 PM Post #104 of 718
Sorry but the aurium and the rh-5 are on two different levels
I am sure they are but I am trying to understand whether the rh-5 will match with the Gjallarhorn as that will be the deciding factor on whether I buy it or not.

Jan 26, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #105 of 718
Agreed. The two amps you mentioned are on two totally different levels.

One thing to also consider is your location to where the amp is made. From your profile it looks like your location is in Colorado. The Rogue Audio factory is in Pennsylvania. So if you needed any work on your amp, a shipment to Pennsylvania is alot easier then shipping an amp out to Europe for example. And I'm pretty sure Pathos gear is made in Europe.

Sound wise, the RH-5 is in my view one of the few upper level amps that gives you the best of both worlds. Soild-state and tubes.

Rogue Audio has a amazing reputation in the two-channel speaker system world. I think they get overlooked in the Head-Fi world unfortunately. But I don't ever see myself being without my RH-5. It's a amazing amp!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back