Rogue Audio RH-5 Impression Thread
Apr 7, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #76 of 718
So the RH-5 arrived today. After inspection and removal of the stock tubes I went ahead and rolled some NOS tubes.

These are Mullard 10M gold pins- Master Series 12AU7's. It will take sometime for the PCB and tubes to burn in. But, so far I really like what I hear. Only used as a preamp so far. Will evaluate as a headphone amp over the next few days.
20200407_143418.jpg
20200407_143425.jpg
20200407_143435.jpg

Apr 8, 2020 at 11:08 AM Post #77 of 718
Thank you for sharing the pics.

@LifeOnMercury, @huangwan

Thanks for the info. Those Abyss 1266's are rated at only 47 ohms. Their sensitivity of only 88dB must be the reason they are known to be hard to drive. It just seems like for a headphone amp to be capable of driving the most difficult of loads my volume output should be that of Huangwan's LCD3's instead of almost full volume at Gain 3.

I am interested in anyone else's experience of gain/volume settings when used as both a headphone amp and a stereo amp.

Apr 8, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #78 of 718

Thanks for the info. Those Abyss 1266's are rated at only 47 ohms. Their sensitivity of only 88dB must be the reason they are known to be hard to drive. It just seems like for a headphone amp to be capable of driving the most difficult of loads my volume output should be that of Huangwan's LCD3's instead of almost full volume at Gain 3.

I am interested in anyone else's experience of gain/volume settings when used as both a headphone amp and a stereo amp.
The only downside I have identified with the RH-5, and I mean only... is the plastic remote. The lack of mass has bugged me for a while, but an email to Rogue has allowed me to purchase a not cheap (I'll let them give you the price if you inquire) aluminum remote. Right now I am the only one with one, or will be when it arrives. :L3000:

Apr 9, 2020 at 11:57 PM Post #79 of 718
So the RH-5 arrived today. After inspection and removal of the stock tubes I went ahead and rolled some NOS tubes.

These are Mullard 10M gold pins- Master Series 12AU7's. It will take sometime for the PCB and tubes to burn in. But, so far I really like what I hear. Only used as a preamp so far. Will evaluate as a headphone amp over the next few days.20200407_143418.jpg20200407_143425.jpg20200407_143435.jpg
I'm glad everything worked out Robert! Enjoy your RH5 in good health!

Apr 18, 2020 at 8:44 PM Post #80 of 718
The only downside I have identified with the RH-5, and I mean only... is the plastic remote. The lack of mass has bugged me for a while, but an email to Rogue has allowed me to purchase a not cheap (I'll let them give you the price if you inquire) aluminum remote. Right now I am the only one with one, or will be when it arrives. :L3000:

Did you ever post a pic of your remote? I am eager to see it.

May 14, 2020 at 12:56 PM Post #85 of 718

Hi from Sweden, my first notes on this site.
I have the Rogue now equipped with Mullard tubes. Bought PSVANE mII at the same time, but for my taste, together with Final Audio D8000, I find the midrange a bit more ”meaty crisp and colorful”. The PSVANE also very good and more powerful. In comparasion, after changing back and forth, I though feel that sound were ”flatter”and less colorful.
My gainsetting are 2. With ”gain3”
It sounds thicker and less spacious.
All in all I’m pleased with the tonality of my setup.

best regards Jan

Sep 10, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #86 of 718
Hi, I'm trying to decide on a headphone amp and based on reviews and discussion on this forum, I've narrowed the search to the Rogue Audio RH-5 and the Pathos inpol ear. They are both hybrid designs but the Pathos is about $2000 more. I'm hoping someone might be able to share impressions and comparison of both HP amps. I have Meze Empyreans and ZMF Verite headphones. I listen mostly to rock, folk, some jazz, vocals. I like detail and clarity, but also a bit of warmth to the music. Thanks very much and continue to be safe.

Sep 10, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #87 of 718
Hi, I'm trying to decide on a headphone amp and based on reviews and discussion on this forum, I've narrowed the search to the Rogue Audio RH-5 and the Pathos inpol ear. They are both hybrid designs but the Pathos is about $2000 more. I'm hoping someone might be able to share impressions and comparison of both HP amps. I have Meze Empyreans and ZMF Verite headphones. I listen mostly to rock, folk, some jazz, vocals. I like detail and clarity, but also a bit of warmth to the music. Thanks very much and continue to be safe.

I also own the ZMF Verite and can say first-hand that it pairs very well with the RH-5. I'd recommend rolling some high quality 12AU7 tubes into the RH-5. Something like a Mullard or a Mazda tube. The RH-5 offers a very deep and powerful yet balanced sound. Very wide soundstage too. I can't speak about the Meze or Pathos as I've heard neither.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #88 of 718

Yes I can confirm it’s also a great match between Planar Magnetic phones and Rogue. Have the Final D8000 and now I can almost tweak the sound... With Mullards big,lush with great voices. Cifte more speed, detail and overall, wow!
You can’t go wrong with either amp, but my search are over. Good luck!

Sep 11, 2020 at 3:55 AM Post #89 of 718
I tried both. Pathos only a couple of time in hi fi exhibitions.
Rogue a bit more even at home.
With audeze and focal.
Boths sound great.
I would go for the rogue for the price and I think it is a bit more powerful?
Two great amps

Sep 12, 2020 at 8:59 AM Post #90 of 718
I tried both. Pathos only a couple of time in hi fi exhibitions.
Rogue a bit more even at home.
With audeze and focal.
Boths sound great.
I would go for the rogue for the price and I think it is a bit more powerful?
Two great amps
Hi, thanks for everyone's impressions and thoughts. I've decided to get the Rogue Audio HP amp. I've ordered it through a local dealer and it should be here in 2-3 weeks. I'll use it with the stock tubes for a while and then probably do some tube rolling. Does anyone have an opinion as to whether the RH-5 would perform better with an after-market power cord, and any suggestions on which power cord? Thanks again and stay healthy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back