The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Oct 10, 2021 at 6:16 PM Post #3,166 of 88,416
For dynamics go to well recorded acoustic music, with full symphony you have everything from ppp to fff, with little or no compression. Physics actually works in IEM’s favor, tiny drivers, but tiny space to “excite.” Then an acoustic guitars are great for shading, speed, and microdynamics.

Brilliant, thank you!

Oct 11, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #3,167 of 88,416
Perhaps a way to visualize dynamics is to imagine a horizontal X axis composed of frequency ranges, and a Y axis composed of volume ranges

Each part of a range of frequency has a volume or measurement of strength in units. The more units, the higher the degree of freedom, and the more numerous the variations allowable when presenting a particular sound

Something like this maybe? It might be oversimplified

Vol
FR

In the first example, each part of the FR, or any other value influenced by dynamics, has only four click/units to how much information they could provide..None, few, moderate, and maximum. The constraint range means less specificity to say, how few or how moderate is it exactly. So you're getting less information about the subtleties, making the rendering less exact relative to the full range/capacity of the recording

It's somewhat like hearing a key on an electronic keyboard versus a classic piano. You can notice the difference, and with the latter more information about how hard/gentle the key was pressed, how the vibration interacts with the piano body and environment, string wear etc. Higher dynamics allow for each note to have that extra dimensionality in expressing itself, adding some precision in resolving the original recording

In the second example, the sound now has more click/units or ways to specify itself. This enables the capture of more subtleties. And each note is now more complex as well, and the whole presented sound richer in variations.

Vol
FR

I recently found this track which I like for its unique presentation. Which sounded eerily good, even more so with higher dynamics phones. As the sway and constantly decreasing/increasing loudness, hard though they are to capture, make for a terrific listen :)

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #3,168 of 88,416
I thought that 'reference' means something which you can refer to. And so preferably something which sounds closest to how the recording was recorded, sans boost nor attenuation in any part. Which is kinda like the definition for ruler flat 'neutral'. But then again even a flat frequency responding monitor is still subject to coloration, and something that is uncolored to me doesn't really exist or else we'd create a paradox (i.e. silence). Something as close to being uncolored is as good as we can get, and if possible for the most occasion as well as @Deezel177 mentioned. It's useful to have a standard as a way to help measure things, but one's standard may vary from another. So really the term 'reference' is open to interpretation in my opinion. Not set and chiselled: more appropriating something like a benchmark

And 'balanced' to me is something like an all-rounder. It approximates towards neutral, but can be slightly north or south from it in some parts. To me a balanced sound could have some coloration and is tonally inaccurate to a degree. As long as the deviation doesn't tilt the sound to becoming overly warm or boosted bright leaving the opposite corresponding parts sounding deficient/lacking. In other words causing the sound to become unbalanced or heavy on one side

So much nuance in all these terms...it can make one's head spin lol

coherency - which feels like the glue that bonds technicalities and musicality, resulting in an emotive connection to the music. Eg - if not coherent, our brains need to consider the various inputs, potentially distracting from the full picture.

For me coherency is about presenting everything in a manner that feels as though it comes from a unified source. You get this for free with single DD IEMs and well tuned IEMs that have multiples of one driver types. At its worst you have multiple different drivers that give the effect of feeling as though you have more than one IEM in your ear at the same time. As you say it detracts from the emotional connection and degrades the overall listening experience. I am not sure there are yet any hybrids or tribrids that have totally mastered this but I would cite the Elysium, Solaris and Traillii as 3 that have come very close in my experience.

Resolution can certainly be equated to detail, but I personally prefer the word information. The word detail implies that surface-level clarity that simply comes from clean-cut notes and a well-separated (or tidily-laid) stage. Whereas, I personally think resolution should also encapsulate "subtler" details; those deeper textures that turn a note from just clear to fully three-dimensional. You can get detail by, again, simply boosting the treble and articulating everything strongly. But, often times, there's nothing behind that detail; no tactility, no weight, no texture, etc. Rather than just being the sheer amount of "detail", I believe resolution should also include the qualities that make those details convincing. So, if we're using the TV as an analogy, you'd also include aspects like backlight bleed, which affect the blacks of the image and how vividly colours are allowed to pop. This is also what I'm referring to when I mention a black/stable background in my reviews.

This is a great explanation. I've heard some use the term "faking resolution through treble boosting" and I think I finally have a sense of what that meant.

Perhaps a way to visualize dynamics is to imagine a horizontal X axis composed of frequency ranges, and a Y axis composed of volume ranges

Each part of a range of frequency has a volume or measurement of strength in units. The more units, the higher the degree of freedom, and the more numerous the variations allowable when presenting a particular sound

Vol
FR

In the first example, each part of the FR, or any other value influenced by dynamics, has only four click/units to how much information they could provide..None, few, moderate, and maximum. The constraint range means less specificity to say, how few or how moderate is it exactly. So you're getting less information about the subtleties, making the rendering less exact relative to the full range/capacity of the recording

It's somewhat like hearing a key on an electronic keyboard versus a classic piano. You can notice the difference, and with the latter more information about how hard/gentle the key was pressed, how the vibration interacts with the piano body and environment, string wear etc. Higher dynamics allow for each note to have that extra dimensionality in expressing itself, adding some precision in resolving the original recording

In the second example, the sound now has more click/units or ways to specify itself. This enables the capture of more subtleties. And each note is now more complex as well, and the whole presented sound richer in variations.

Vol
FR

I recently found this track which I like for its unique presentation. Which sounded eerily good, even more so with higher dynamics phones. As the sway and constantly decreasing/increasing loudness, hard though they are to capture, make for a terrific listen :)

Thanks for putting this together-- it's still early here for me and it will take me a bit to wrap my head around it.

In other news it's Thanksgiving day here in Canada and I'd like to give thanks to this community-- to great gear and great conversation. Long may it continue.

Oct 11, 2021 at 11:20 AM Post #3,169 of 88,416
Getting to be time to shed my Hiby R6 Pro snd Sony 300 ZX. I gave the Hiby to my son this weekend. Going to give the Sony to a good friend. Keeping my 2 Hiby R3 Sabers, A & K SE 200, Hiby R6 2020 and of course my M8. Might add new Shanling M9 with AKM chips if I get a chance to buy one. Already reserved one with Andrew@ MisicTec.
Anybody focused on a new DAP when they are released?

Oct 11, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #3,170 of 88,416
Getting to be time to shed my Hiby R6 Pro snd Sony 300 ZX. I gave the Hiby to my son this weekend. Going to give the Sony to a good friend. Keeping my 2 Hiby R3 Sabers, A & K SE 200, Hiby R6 2020 and of course my M8. Might add new Shanling M9 with AKM chips if I get a chance to buy one. Already reserved one with Andrew@ MisicTec.
Anybody focused on a new DAP when they are released?

An M9 with AKM chips would be high on my priority list. Any idea when they'll be coming? It's hard to get really excited about upcoming releases these days as everything is so delayed delayed delayed.

Oct 11, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #3,171 of 88,416
DELAYED!!!!!!!! Andrew said mid October to beginning of November., but that was several weeks ago.

Oct 11, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #3,172 of 88,416

Vol
FR

Vol
FR

Wow that's really helpful, great way to visualise - thank you!

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #3,173 of 88,416
Blurs arrived.
Only first impressions.
Soundstage is holographic, much much more wider done Solaris SE.
Vocals on 189 mx64 ohms (the red one) are at same level as Elys for example.

1633968810067.png

1633968794223.png

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #3,175 of 88,416
Oct 11, 2021 at 12:52 PM Post #3,177 of 88,416
I should receive my 2nd Blur later this week, can't wait! Penon BS1 Official also inbound...
I'm curious about the Penon earbud, so will be awaiting your impressions. Thus far in your earbud posts, it doesn't seem that fit is ever an issue for you? Still, curious how these fit in comparison to the other buds you have.

Oct 11, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #3,178 of 88,416
Oct 11, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #3,179 of 88,416
I'm curious about the Penon earbud, so will be awaiting your impressions. Thus far in your earbud posts, it doesn't seem that fit is ever an issue for you? Still, curious how these fit in comparison to the other buds you have.

The EM5 are strange and I would say unique shell - they fit and stay in but I suspect could be tricky for some. The mx shell of my first Blur fit me very well, my next Blur is a pk so if that fits, I'll know I'm good for the bulk of options out there. Curious on the Ksearphone Bell style too.

I ordered a Yincrow X6 today too, high praise for a very cheap bud - about $11 from AliExpress, it'll be a good 4 weeks before I have it though.

Oct 11, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #3,180 of 88,416
The EM5 are strange and I would say unique shell - they fit and stay in but I suspect could be tricky for some. The mx shell of my first Blur fit me very well, my next Blur is a pk so if that fits, I'll know I'm good for the bulk of options out there. Curious on the Ksearphone Bell style too.

I ordered a Yincrow X6 today too, high praise for a very cheap bud - about $11 from AliExpress, it'll be a good 4 weeks before I have it though.
I actually ordered an X6 and a Qian39 (another cheapie) a couple days ago as those were two rec'd to me so I can try to figure out what shell types/size will work for me. The only experience I've had with buds are the old school Apple ones that used to come with iPods; those are not secure in my ears. I'm so used to IEMs, anything that's not a tight fit in my ears is simply bizarre, hahaha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back