Rockna Wavelight
Oct 25, 2020 at 7:33 AM Post #211 of 1,586
Have had the wavelight in my system for about a week. Light use. Question to the people who have one.

I'm finding it hard to integrate the DAC. It seems forward in the higher regions. Nearly off balanced. My system (speakers) have never been bright or forward and this effect isn't really what I would call bright.

I'm getting all the detail and staging but also a little digital harsh up top. One thing I noticed was I had my wireless streamer too close to it and it was affecting it alot. Have moved it away, as far as the USB cable will go anyway.

Has anyone used it with an auralic aries femto?

What is happening is it is turned down very low to be comfortable easy listening but that does away with the bottom half of the frequencies.

I am also thinking this could be just setup and the change from old DACs (benchmark DAC 1 and NAD M51) where it is more of a wall of sound rather than the presentation we get now with this DAC.

Any comments would help. Will try my old copper cables to see if I can smooth it down.
Hi there,

I would imagine you'll need to put more than 1 week on it. I would have thought the R2R would be the opposite. I have one on order awaiting delivery so have no direct experience but from what I've read this DAC is in no way bright.

Hopefully it settles down with time on it.

Thanks
Sean

Oct 25, 2020 at 7:37 AM Post #212 of 1,586
Have had the wavelight in my system for about a week. Light use. Question to the people who have one.

I'm finding it hard to integrate the DAC. It seems forward in the higher regions. Nearly off balanced. My system (speakers) have never been bright or forward and this effect isn't really what I would call bright.

I'm getting all the detail and staging but also a little digital harsh up top. One thing I noticed was I had my wireless streamer too close to it and it was affecting it alot. Have moved it away, as far as the USB cable will go anyway.

What is happening is it is turned down very low to be comfortable easy listening but that does away with the bottom half of the frequencies.

I am also thinking this could be just setup and the change from old DACs (benchmark DAC 1 and NAD M51) where it is more of a wall of sound rather than the presentation we get now with this DAC.

Any comments would help. Will try my old copper cables to see if I can smooth it down.

It sounds like your system is quite susceptible to outside interference.. Hope you manage to sort it out!

Like the previous poster, give it a bit more time to settle down. I can't offer much help as I'm using fiber optic connection and i2s cable.

I did try usb briefly (preferred i2s), but did not experience any harshness or brightness with usb.

Oct 25, 2020 at 7:38 AM Post #213 of 1,586
Hi there,

I would imagine you'll need to put more than 1 week on it. I would have thought the R2R would be the opposite. I have one on order awaiting delivery so have no direct experience but from what I've read this DAC is in no way bright.

Hopefully it settles down with time on it.

Thanks
Sean
Thanks Sean.

Yes. This was one thing I was thinking but as I have it on demo (intention to buy) I am looking for ideas and or a plan as I need to make a decision resonably quickly. What everyone says about it give me confidence though.

If anyone has commentary on burn in (even on other r2r then I would appreciate.

Oct 25, 2020 at 7:42 AM Post #214 of 1,586
Thanks Sean.

Yes. This was one thing I was thinking but as I have it on demo (intention to buy) I am looking for ideas and or a plan as I need to make a decision resonably quickly. What everyone says about it give me confidence though.

Is it bright in upper mid and lower treble area? Sometime some R2R DACs do show digital sheen in this region at higher volume. I haven't heard Wavelight so can't comment on it.

Oct 25, 2020 at 7:43 AM Post #215 of 1,586
Thanks Sean.

Hi There

You should be able to reach some users that have it a while on here. Id say ( I'm hoping also ) it is the opposite to bright after maybe 200hrs.All the reviews sound great but you never really know until you get it in the system. The R2R should not be bright though when burned in.

Thanks
Sean

Oct 25, 2020 at 3:47 PM Post #216 of 1,586
The Wavelight is not a warm DAC, it is just ‘clear’ neutral. Very much a modern R2R type sound. Certainly not bright.

I, too, noticed interferences with WiFi making it through the DAC. Kinda annoying for such an expensive device, but easy to fix.

Oct 25, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #217 of 1,586
The Wavelight is not a warm DAC, it is just ‘clear’ neutral. Very much a modern R2R type sound. Certainly not bright.

I, too, noticed interferences with WiFi making it through the DAC. Kinda annoying for such an expensive device, but easy to fix.

Hey Clem.

Yes I would agree with that as I was thinking my description of bright was the wrong one. It's more the presentation. Take every instrument and voice as 3d the voices seemed pushed forward in volume or scale. Not that this is wrong either and can have everything to do with my setup and room. (small room. Large speakers. Very transparent cables. Etc)

Oct 26, 2020 at 10:43 AM Post #220 of 1,586

Whats in your system? the XLR being 5.8v is a lot higher then some dacs, and it might be hard to integrate for sure.

Oct 26, 2020 at 3:48 PM Post #221 of 1,586
Whats in your system? the XLR being 5.8v is a lot higher then some dacs, and it might be hard to integrate for sure.
Auralic aries > wavelight > Line Magnetic LM34 amp (RCA) > speakers 91.5 db.

I had KT77 tubes in which brought the voices and instruments too far out. Changed to KT88 tubes which lulled it back into shape but then you loose alot of detail and stage etc.

I also thought last night that changing the taps at the back of the amp from 4ohm to 8ohm might give it more control over the higher frequency. Originally the 4ohm allowed the speakers to be open and breath but now it's too far so this could be it. It's a very revealing system so if the higher frequencies have less control I'm thinking this could be somthing that helps.

I have also left it on with music running to burn in (amp connected but not on) so will see what this does.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2020 at 5:58 PM Post #222 of 1,586
Has anyone had any experience pairing this DAC with the Wavelight sever? Wondering if the synergy is really that strong or if it's just all marketing, I'm looking at either Wavelight Server or the Auralic Aries 2.1

Oct 26, 2020 at 6:21 PM Post #223 of 1,586
Has anyone had any experience pairing this DAC with the Wavelight sever? Wondering if the synergy is really that strong or if it's just all marketing, I'm looking at either Wavelight Server or the Auralic Aries 2.1
Wavelight Server isnt out yet

Oct 26, 2020 at 6:36 PM Post #225 of 1,586
Hum...interesting, are you sure? I thought it was available to order couple of months ago. It's showing on the distributor website as in-stock and able to be purchased.
Yes official Rockna Website still states "coming soon"
Furthermore I didnt find a single review on the web, even of pre Release versions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back