Rockna Wavelight
Oct 8, 2020 at 10:58 PM Post #199 of 1,629
Was listening to some rock music today and am amazed how well the rockna wavelight handles complex and busy segments.

The separation, layering, soundstage and placement are superb. I just have to mention separation again.. Wow! And I am really starting to like the hybrid filter over NOS.

Am a bit torn between waiting for the wavelight streamer vs getting the Lumin U1.

Oct 8, 2020 at 11:02 PM Post #200 of 1,629
Mine comes Wednesday and comments like this gets me frothing.

Have a auralic femto with linear PS as transport btw. See how that goes. Not that I have anything else to compare it too.

Was listening to some rock music today and am amazed how well the rockna wavelight handles complex and busy segments.

The separation, layering, soundstage and placement are superb. I just have to mention separation again.. Wow! And I am really starting to like the hybrid filter over NOS.

Am a bit torn between waiting for the wavelight streamer vs getting the Lumin U1.

Oct 15, 2020 at 8:03 AM Post #202 of 1,629
Spoke to rockna over fb. They mentioned a new firmware coming soon which will allow a change of the i2s config. Three options to choose from: Rockna standard, psaudio, and gustard (I assume is to emulate the other dac type pinouts?). Perhaps someone with a better understanding of this can chime in.

Oct 15, 2020 at 8:06 AM Post #203 of 1,629
Spoke to rockna over fb. They mentioned a new firmware coming soon which will allow a change of the i2s config. Three options to choose from: Rockna standard, psaudio, and gustard (I assume is to emulate the other dac type pinouts?). Perhaps someone with a better understanding of this can chime in.
Yep. Sounds like it. While i2s HDMI looks the same it's really just carrying data and power and it's up to the designer to dictate which pins they use in what order.

Oct 15, 2020 at 8:31 AM Post #204 of 1,629

Excellent news. I was chatting with Musica Pristina and he mentioned the i2s polarity being an issue due to pin config.

Oct 15, 2020 at 8:37 AM Post #205 of 1,629
it would be good if all the companies decided on just one standard, for both pinout config and ports. eg i get annoyed when i see something i like but instead of hdmi i2s, it uses rj45 i2s.

Oct 15, 2020 at 6:27 PM Post #207 of 1,629
Agreed. Wonder if a custom cable would work in that situation?
It would, but it's kinda dumb to build custom HDMI cables just for audio. Building HDMI cables is probably not something you can easily do by hand, although I2S signals don't require the same shielding/precise geometry as a true 18Gbps HDMI video cable.

It's much better to implement various pinouts directly in the devices (either source, or in this case, the DAC).

Oct 16, 2020 at 5:00 AM Post #208 of 1,629
For whoever is interested. This was given by rockna support. The pic is labelled as hydra. I guess it should be the same for the wavelight.

Hydra-Z I2S Pin-out.png

Oct 16, 2020 at 10:07 AM Post #209 of 1,629
Looking forward to the new firmware with expanded I2S support. I feed the Wavelight with a Pi2AES and the I2S doesn’t work currently.

Oct 25, 2020 at 7:29 AM Post #210 of 1,629
Have had the wavelight in my system for about a week. Light use. Question to the people who have one.

I'm finding it hard to integrate the DAC. It seems forward in the higher regions. Nearly off balanced. My system (speakers) have never been bright or forward and this effect isn't really what I would call bright.

I'm getting all the detail and staging but also a little digital harsh up top. One thing I noticed was I had my wireless streamer too close to it and it was affecting it alot. Have moved it away, as far as the USB cable will go anyway.

Has anyone used it with an auralic aries femto?

What is happening is it is turned down very low to be comfortable easy listening but that does away with the bottom half of the frequencies.

I am also thinking this could be just setup and the change from old DACs (benchmark DAC 1 and NAD M51) where it is more of a wall of sound rather than the presentation we get now with this DAC.

Any comments would help. Will try my old copper cables to see if I can smooth it down.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back