Rockna Wavelight
Sep 14, 2020 at 12:43 AM Post #181 of 1,628
I should mention something that isn't shown in the specifications but may be helpful to some whom are more concerned about power consumption.

with my kill-a-watt meter -
Wavelight on: 15 watts
Wavelight standby: 0.8 - 1 watt

Audiogd R8 on: 33 watts

Also Nicolae mentioned that the warm up time for the DAC to sound its best is about 1-2 hrs, which is a lot better than traditional 24 hr warm ups of R2R dacs.

Sep 14, 2020 at 2:07 AM Post #182 of 1,628
I should mention something that isn't shown in the specifications but may be helpful to some whom are more concerned about power consumption.

Also Nicolae mentioned that the warm up time for the DAC to sound its best is about 1-2 hrs, which is a lot better than traditional 24 hr warm ups of R2R dacs.
I never considered warm up before, but it is considerably better than R2Rs while retaining that analogue charme in sound signature

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2020 at 6:06 PM Post #183 of 1,628

Would it been in standby count as warm-up? Or would it have to be on on?

Sep 16, 2020 at 8:00 PM Post #184 of 1,628
Would it been in standby count as warm-up? Or would it have to be on on?

Hmm based on Nicole's reply, the 1-2 hr warm up would have to be on on.

Sep 19, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #186 of 1,628
Will be interesting how much difference this will make in the sound. Looking to get one over here in Aus soon based on reviews, design philosophy, pedigree, etc. Will provide comment when I can.

Any experience with warm up of other DAC s incl other topologies?

For the warm up of other DAC's, I know AudioGD's current R7/R8 could use a 24 hr warmup to sound its best
I asked Nicolae about his Audiobyte Hydra/Vox stack and that had a warmup of 15 mins from standby.
Schiit's multibit dac's if i'm not mistaken could use 48 hrs warm up, but best if left on.

That's about as far as I could tell from experience! hopefully this helps

Sep 20, 2020 at 2:37 PM Post #187 of 1,628
Rockna said they're currently testing the server prototype with plans to release this summer. Some preliminary details include hardware upsample to DSD512 via I²S, typical streaming functions including Roon server/core, 1TB SSD standard but user expandable, etc. I currently use a Roon Nucleus and a Lumin streamer, no complaints but I look forward to consolidating those boxes into this Wavelight Server, and also to take advantage of the I²S pairing.
Hi Koven,
Probably a silly question so bear with me, is the 12S a big advantage to have on the DAC and something a potential owner should look at utilising. My streamer and Nuc don't have this input but maybe its something I should consider changing down the road if I get the DAC. I currently have a DAC inside my Hegel H390 integrated amp.
Thanks
Sean

Sep 28, 2020 at 1:26 AM Post #189 of 1,628
In the settings menu, Phase Normal/Invert; what does this do/refer to?

Sep 28, 2020 at 2:19 AM Post #190 of 1,628
Have this on my Hydra.Vox as well. Refers to output signal phase state (polarity on preamp output). Between normal (when input signal is positive and output signal is positive) or inverted (Input signal is positive and output signal is negative -> invert polarity).

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2020 at 2:23 AM Post #191 of 1,628
Have this on my Hydra.Vox as well. Refers to output signal phase state (polarity on preamp output). Between normal or inverted.

Thanks man. Did u put it on normal or inverted? I tried going back and forth, sounds slightly better on normal.

Sep 28, 2020 at 2:34 AM Post #192 of 1,628
Normal.

This has to do to keep the speaker/headphone diaphrams in polarity with the original microphone polarity. meaning the michrophone diagram moves inward in response to an air pressure wave we want the speaker/headphone diaphrams to move inwards as well. Trouble is, recording studios don't normally keep track of polarity, and some studio gear inverts it. Thus some recordings are correct, and others have inverted polarity.

This feature (like some other preamps/DSPs) Allows you to switch with polarity problems on the fly.

Inverted polarity usually have "woolly" bass and soundstage problems.

Sep 28, 2020 at 9:18 AM Post #193 of 1,628
Normal.

This has to do to keep the speaker/headphone diaphrams in polarity with the original microphone polarity. meaning the michrophone diagram moves inward in response to an air pressure wave we want the speaker/headphone diaphrams to move inwards as well. Trouble is, recording studios don't normally keep track of polarity, and some studio gear inverts it. Thus some recordings are correct, and others have inverted polarity.

This feature (like some other preamps/DSPs) Allows you to switch with polarity problems on the fly.

Inverted polarity usually have "woolly" bass and soundstage problems.

Thanks for the explanation! Much appreciated.

Sep 28, 2020 at 11:10 AM Post #194 of 1,628
Thanks for the explanation! Much appreciated.

Might be a feature they've added for i2s compatibility. I've been speaking with Musica Pristina regarding their music player, and due to the pin config of the HDMI port, the polarity is inverted. The Rockna Wavedream doesn't have a method of correcting for this. Good to see they have that now in the Wavelight.

Sep 29, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #195 of 1,628
FYI, the iOS Wavelight app is in the app store. Just found it yesterday by chance. It works well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back