Rockna Wavelight
Oct 27, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #226 of 1,629
Hi all,

My last info from the manufacturer was the Wavelight Server will be released 2020 - so soon hopefully. And I had the pleasure to listen to the Wavelight Server presample from Munich High End 2019 in my listening room for 2 weeks. Very smart combo and yes I2S rules. It is worth the wait.

Walter

IMG_2209.JPG

Oct 27, 2020 at 4:14 PM Post #227 of 1,629
Hi all,

My last info from the manufacturer was the Wavelight Server will be released 2020 - so soon hopefully. And I had the pleasure to listen to the Wavelight Server presample from Munich High End 2019 in my listening room for 2 weeks. Very smart combo and yes I2S rules. It is worth the wait.

Walter

IMG_2209.JPG
Can you give us some of your pre Release unit impressions.
From memory, compared to other streamers.

Oct 27, 2020 at 4:33 PM Post #228 of 1,629
As all Rockna products very nice balanced, neutral in an extreme positive sense and always smooth. Similar to Wavedream NET which was maybe a tiny bit superior (or better burned in too). I2S is a bonus compared to other good streamers like Innuos connected via USB - you gain a bit higher resolution, more air and already with standard HDMI cable better, natural, more neutral timbre. Switching to analogue turntable always proof the magic Rockna digital sound - no problems switching between the two often totally different sources. So for my private setup waiting for the Wavelight Server unit too ... as i do not need the dedicated CD transport of Wavedream NET.

Oct 27, 2020 at 10:48 PM Post #229 of 1,629
Believe I have fixed/worked out my issues. Will record them for people's reference encase they come across anything like this.

Presentation. Mids up were pronounced too far out. Changed the speakers tabs from 4ohm to 8. I'm assuming this gave the amp more control of the higher freq . Previous DAC was better on 4 but I'm putting this down to higher output voltage and dynamics.

Scratchy effects. This one is funny. I changed every cable and power point and combination of DACs and amps to work it out. The songs I herd this in were just crap recordings. E.g. Red Hot chilli peppers. Californication. Confirmed just by listening to the song on my phone with headphones. Just never noticed it before so that's the effect of a good DAC really. You hear everything.

Oct 28, 2020 at 9:40 PM Post #231 of 1,629
Is there any chance to dim the display?

U mean dimmer than the dimmest available setting? The only way to go lower than that is either to turn it off completely or stick on a layer of dark/tinted film.

Oct 28, 2020 at 9:42 PM Post #232 of 1,629
Hey guys can I get your input on something?

I occasionally leave the streamer running and play music through the dac all day, even when I'm not listening/headamp is off.

Sometimes when I turn the headphone amp on or off, the dac loses lock and the music stops. Sometimes it doesn't. Any idea why that would happen?

Oct 29, 2020 at 5:35 AM Post #233 of 1,629
Believe I have fixed/worked out my issues. Will record them for people's reference encase they come across anything like this.

Presentation. Mids up were pronounced too far out. Changed the speakers tabs from 4ohm to 8. I'm assuming this gave the amp more control of the higher freq . Previous DAC was better on 4 but I'm putting this down to higher output voltage and dynamics.

Scratchy effects. This one is funny. I changed every cable and power point and combination of DACs and amps to work it out. The songs I herd this in were just crap recordings. E.g. Red Hot chilli peppers. Californication. Confirmed just by listening to the song on my phone with headphones. Just never noticed it before so that's the effect of a good DAC really. You hear everything.
If you like Red Hot Chilli Peppers then do listen to the album “Blood Sugar Sex Magik” you will enjoy it out of a good DAC and amp

Oct 29, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #234 of 1,629
Does anyone know how the DACs upsampling/filters work?

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Say I feed it 44k into NOS. Nothing happens, it just converts 44k as is.

If I feed it 44k and out a filter on is it upsampling and then using the filter to instruct how it does this? Also what rate does it upsample too?

Asking as I'm assuming it would be better to let it upsample than getting say room to upsample.
Also if I was to get room to upsample then I should set it to NOS???

Last question. How does it handle DSD? How do other DACs handle DSD? Again if I get room to upsample to DSD then should the DAC be on NOS?

I have tried finding this out but am getting info such as some DACs use different chips inside to do PCM and DSD so I am not sure how the rockna does it?

Oct 31, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #235 of 1,629
Is the FPGA version 1.07 out yet? I got an update on the iOS Wavelight app and one of the release notes said

- New firmware update 1.28 (needs FPGA version 1.07 or higher)

My unit is still on 1.04

The firmware update from the Wavelight product page links to the below which requires a login and I never created one:

https://www.rockna-audio.com/login

Nov 3, 2020 at 5:22 AM Post #236 of 1,629
A thing just happened.
I stumbled upon an used Wavelight for a price I could impossibly resist.

So I got a Wavelight coming my way now.

Initially I wanted it Black and this one is silver, however the Cayin HA-6A also has a silver front so maybe it should be this way.

Nov 3, 2020 at 5:51 AM Post #237 of 1,629
Congratulations! Now you got more reasons for staying on this thread...

"Resistance is futile" The Borg

Nov 3, 2020 at 5:55 AM Post #238 of 1,629
A thing just happened.
I stumbled upon an used Wavelight for a price I could impossibly resist.

So I got a Wavelight coming my way now.

Initially I wanted it Black and this one is silver, however the Cayin HA-6A also has a silver front so maybe it should be this way.

The stars have aligned! Welcome to the club!

Nov 3, 2020 at 7:08 AM Post #239 of 1,629
Nov 3, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #240 of 1,629
As all Rockna products very nice balanced, neutral in an extreme positive sense and always smooth. Similar to Wavedream NET which was maybe a tiny bit superior (or better burned in too). I2S is a bonus compared to other good streamers like Innuos connected via USB - you gain a bit higher resolution, more air and already with standard HDMI cable better, natural, more neutral timbre. Switching to analogue turntable always proof the magic Rockna digital sound - no problems switching between the two often totally different sources. So for my private setup waiting for the Wavelight Server unit too ... as i do not need the dedicated CD transport of Wavedream NET.
Does the Wavelight Server have any capabilities to play local files via harddrive/USB.
Or only from Network?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back