Rockhopper M^3 - The Review
Apr 17, 2009 at 6:03 PM Post #392 of 523
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you perfect your "reading schem" skill?
normal_smile .gif

No, but this is more like paint by numbers than P2P
biggrin.gif

Apr 17, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #393 of 523
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stats are one thing, hearing it sonically is another. Anyone compared to to other Little Dot or Darkvoice amps? Just need to get a rough picture of it's quality against others.

Christchurch, New Zealand ! Now where else but on the internet could I meet someone from Christchurch?
beyersmile.png

Hi C_K

I have a couple of M^3s, an older one with a Tread and a new RockHopper with a Sigma. I also have the wall wart Thrice recommended, and I have '03 880s.

I have extensively compared the older M^3 to my Woo3 and feel they have essentially the same sound signature, with the Woo just edging out the the 8065 M^3 in blackness of background, depth of sound stage and air. I had an opportunity to compare the Woo3 to the DarkVoice 336 with the line out of a portable DVD player. I did this with another member at one of the NY meets and we both felt that the Darkvoice had a more colored sound signature and that the Woo was essentially neutral but not necessarily preferred, as we both liked the colored sound of the DarkVoice. Our comments can be found in the impressions section for NY meets from a couple of years ago, if you're interested....

So by inference, you might want to assume that the M^3, sounding like the Woo3, is more neutral than the DarkVoice 336. This comparison btw, was done with my '03 880s.

Regarding the posts from His Grawkyness and His Beefyness, its probably a good idea to file that information away for future use.
dt880smile.png

I haven't spent much time evaluating the sigma 11 Vs the wall wart, but I did compare the Tread based 8065 M^3 to the wall wart powered 8610 M^3, connected to my cable TV via my now deceased Zhaolu D2. In that venue, they sounded the same, chip differences and all.

Of course, YMMV.

USG

Apr 17, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #394 of 523
I noticed the transients became quicker (especially in the bass) and the soundstage became airier with the Sigma 11 compared to the Elpac wall-wart.

Apr 17, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #395 of 523
The Elpac wallwart basically runs at its rated limits with very little power to spare when running the M3. If I were on a budget, I would go with a TREAD power supply over the wallwart. It doesn't cost much more than the Elpac (especially if you can squeeze it in the same case as the M3) and it produces much less ripple too. I suspect that a TREAD powered M3 would be difficult to tell apart from one powered by a sigma 11. That having been said, I chose to go with the sigma 11 anyway
biggrin.gif

One amp I would like to try building someday is a dynalo powered by a sigma 22. With its high sensitivity to power supply quality, I think that the dynalo could really reap big benefits from the extreme performance of Amb's sigma regulators. That combo would probably give any other dynalo a run for its money - including the headamp GS-1.

Apr 17, 2009 at 8:24 PM Post #396 of 523
Edit: off-topic, so I'm removing the post.

Apr 17, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #397 of 523
I'm pretty sure mines had AD8610 written on it. No gibberish like 463152tEJND. Maybe they're engineering samples? Or did he forget to switch opamps? Do they work with your amp?

Wait, what opamps came with your amp? I can't decipher what you just said.

Apr 17, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #398 of 523
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShinyFalcon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm pretty sure mines had AD8610 written on it. No gibberish like 463152tEJND. Maybe they're engineering samples? Or did he forget to switch opamps? Do they work with your amp?

Wait, what opamps came with your amp? I can't decipher what you just said.

Removed: Off-topic.

Apr 17, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #399 of 523
Zach (grand enigma) is a good and honest person. I'd be shocked if he didn't send you exactly what he said he was going to send you.

Apr 17, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #400 of 523
Removed: Off-topic.

Apr 17, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #402 of 523
Ah my mistake then. Thanks. That got cleared up in less than 5 min
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 21, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #405 of 523
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Banned? How did the OP scooter get the ban stick?

MOTMOTMOTMOTMOT

Quote:

Anyway, I bought a M and will compare with my MKV.
You'll see either one of these two in the FS forum soon! :p

Look forward to it!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back