Rockhopper M^3 - The Review
Apr 16, 2009 at 1:37 AM Post #376 of 523
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
10 days is not slow, imho. Relax, or pay 3x as much for a commercial product.

Once again your taken this the wrong way. But that's your perogative I guess. I don't see anything wrong with posting my experiences and fellings towards them, though for whatever reason it seems you think i'm on an angry rant. Which is far from the case. Remember also that the amp I got also arrived faulty, which doesn't bode well in my opinion, and it has not been a quick process of getting it fixed (all things that people buying from a diy'er may like to consider, or know about before purchasing from). This has meant my main pair of headphones have been out of action for over a month (once again, something that others may want to consider before buying from rockhopper audio). All i'm trying to do is help others make informed decisions, instead of swepping any negatives under the carpet.

In my opinion the positives do still outway the negatives, but that doesn't mean they will for everyone else.

Apr 16, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #377 of 523
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think an M3 is going to be added to my DIY to-do list. It looks like a fun amp to make. Besides, there's a hole between my mini3 and Beta that needs filling
biggrin.gif

It is actually a fairly easy build; the hardest part for me (aside from the casework) was tapping the heatsinks. Although be warned that soldering R10 on the S11 is quite difficult because of how it is connected to the ground plane. My technique wasn't very good at the time, and I almost bollocked the entire board.

In terms of 'fun' builds, my Millett Maxes were probably more rewarding, but I still think that the MMM is the better amp.

Apr 16, 2009 at 1:40 AM Post #378 of 523
Quote:

I think an M3 is going to be added to my DIY to-do list. It looks like a fun amp to make. Besides, there's a hole between my mini3 and Beta that needs filling
biggrin.gif

Even though I'm a self professed 'tube-guy,' I'd be hard pressed to part with mine (OPA 637 or AD843)... It's a very straightforward build and well worth the time and cost.

Apr 16, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #380 of 523
Quote:

Originally Posted by Suntory_Times /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Once again your taken this the wrong way. But that's your perogative I guess. I don't see anything wrong with posting my experiences and fellings towards them, though for whatever reason it seems you think i'm on an angry rant. Which is far from the case. Remember also that the amp I got also arrived faulty, which doesn't bode well in my opinion, and it has not been a quick process of getting it fixed (all things that people buying from a diy'er may like to consider, or know about before purchasing from). This has meant my main pair of headphones have been out of action for over a month (once again, something that others may want to consider before buying from rockhopper audio). All i'm trying to do is help others make informed decisions, instead of swepping any negatives under the carpet.

In my opinion the positives do still outway the negatives, but that doesn't mean they will for everyone else.

I can understand your frustration. I feel it'd be unnerving to pay several hundred dollars and not hear a reply for that long. A simple email update takes literally 20 seconds. Even a one-liner like "sorry I'll have to get back to you in a few days" is better than no reply at all.

Personally, I found that Thrice's email replies were slow at times, but overall he offers great customer service and never fails to deliver on his promises. That, and his builds are fantastic.

Apr 16, 2009 at 2:23 AM Post #381 of 523
Thrice will take care of you, don't worry. He's a legitimately nice guy, he just gets a bit busy I suppose, he has a day job and a family.

Apr 16, 2009 at 2:57 AM Post #382 of 523
Quote:

biggrin.gif

Did you perfect your "reading schem" skill?
normal_smile .gif

Apr 17, 2009 at 11:40 AM Post #383 of 523
Even though I don't believe too much in power supplies....
What's the real difference sonically between the M3 with the Sigma 11 and the M3 with a standard wall power supply?
Also, anyone got this with a dt880 (03 version but 05 version impression would be appreciated as well) combo?

Apr 17, 2009 at 11:57 AM Post #384 of 523
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even though I don't believe too much in power supplies....

Somebody posted these sage words on another headphone forum recently:

"for the vast majority of amps, you are listening to the power supply. amps basically make things louder ie. add more power. power comes from the power supply."

Quote:

What's the real difference sonically between the M3 with the Sigma 11 and the M3 with a standard wall power supply?

I don't know. I never bothered with anything but the S11. For an amp of the MMM's calibre, I see no reason to try and skimp. And even then, the S11 is an absolute bargain for the performance you get.

Check out these tests from Tangent. The wallwarts are all sitting well above 1000µV of ripple. The S11 measures at less than 12µV. This isn't unquantifiable voodoo like many things in the audio hobby, but very real and measurable effects.

Apr 17, 2009 at 12:10 PM Post #385 of 523
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For an amp of the MMM's calibre, I see no reason to try and skimp. And even then, the S11 is an absolute bargain for the performance you get.

legitimate reason:

Currently I can probably get one locally for probably under what it is in parts, that being $160US.
Yes, so yeah, kinda a good reason.

I currently got a Little Dot MKV and well, even without the Sigma 11, this deal is too good not to consider.
Just need to know how it compares to the MKV.

Apr 17, 2009 at 12:33 PM Post #386 of 523
I have never heard the LD V, but from the opinion I collected on HeadFi, LD V is an Ok, so-so amp, nothing special about it; while the M3 receives so much rave from a lot of people

Apr 17, 2009 at 2:58 PM Post #387 of 523
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Somebody posted these sage words on another headphone forum recently:

"for the vast majority of amps, you are listening to the power supply. amps basically make things louder ie. add more power. power comes from the power supply."

I don't know. I never bothered with anything but the S11. For an amp of the MMM's calibre, I see no reason to try and skimp. And even then, the S11 is an absolute bargain for the performance you get.

Check out these tests from Tangent. The wallwarts are all sitting well above 1000µV of ripple. The S11 measures at less than 12µV. This isn't unquantifiable voodoo like many things in the audio hobby, but very real and measurable effects.

Stats are one thing, hearing it sonically is another. Anyone compared to to other Little Dot or Darkvoice amps? Just need to get a rough picture of it's quality against others.

Apr 17, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #388 of 523
If you don't believe in better power supplies, more power to you. At some point, you might want to do a comparison, but if you don't believe measurements or other people's opinions, then it's up to you to do the listening yourself.

Apr 17, 2009 at 3:09 PM Post #389 of 523
On the PSU issue. Remember garbage in == garbage out.

Much like the point that if you do not have a good source then no matter how good the amp is it is limited by the quality of the source.

Same is true for the PSU of an amp. If the PSU has large amounts of noise, or can not supply quick changes in current draw without voltage sag then it will certainly affect the amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back