Rockhopper M^3 - The Review
Mar 24, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #241 of 523
I currently have my M3 hooked up in a cardboard box. I don't have the volume pot grounded particularly well but there is a significant amount of distortion (I wouldn't really even call it distortion as I'm pretty sure it's from a grounding issue). At extremely low volume there are no problems but when turned up there is very audible noise. I was just wondering if anyone had the same issue when using a cardboard box and if the problem solved itself when you finally put it in a real case.

Mar 24, 2009 at 12:45 AM Post #242 of 523
Quote:

Originally Posted by scootermafia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know my DAC isn't the best, but my budget was limited. As I said, an audio-GD ref 3 or a Paradisea, something in the $800 range, would be a big upgrade, but there's no cash for that as of now.

The Moodlab Concept is tiny, but it's a passive DAC with no oversampling/upsampling and I think it does a very clean job without coloring the signal. I'm extremely happy with it pairing my my 650s and m3.

I thoroughly enjoyed my M^3 with a Zero DAC and I bet its nowhere near as good as the Moodlab. Only upgrade if you really really want to.

Mar 24, 2009 at 1:28 AM Post #243 of 523
Quote:

Originally Posted by ciphercomplete /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Seriously? Have you read reviews for it? Have you heard it? I researched all those DACs you mentioned before stretching my budget for the NM24. The Paradisea is not in the same class and I'd put both the solid state and tube sections of this DAC up against the Stello and the Benchmark any day. I've already compared to a couple of entry/mid-level ($2500+) CD players in 2-channel speaker setups: edge to the NM24 imo. To each his own though, its sounds like you are a solid state guy anyway.

A defensive posture is not necessary, I'm not dissing your DAC. I'm trying to understand how a company can put not one, but two, high quality DACs, a high quality line amp and a high quality power supply in the same box at such a modest price point, ($1080 from Monarchy on AG).

Quote:

No we don't really agree. The HD650 makes the 8610s tolerable, not awesome. Thats jmo though.

Hummmm, highly disagreeable you are.
images

None of these chips are awesome, the amp isn't awesome and none of the headphones we're talking about are awesome. I was at the NY meet a few days ago and I heard awesome. The stuff we're quibbling about here is all barely tolerable low fi, my disagreeable friend.
wink_face.gif

Live with that, we must.
images

[size=x-large]I've got a bad case of THE LOW FI BLUES[/size]

Mar 24, 2009 at 2:29 AM Post #245 of 523
Quote:

Originally Posted by upstateguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So which chip do you like the best, or perhaps, use the most is the better way to phrase it?
bigsmile_face.gif

I'm listening to the OPA627/OPA637 now, will toss the AD825 in some time this week. I usually like to spend at least a few days, usually a week or more to get a feel for an amp before changing anything.

Quote:

Which Northstar do you have? Mk 1 or 2?

MK1 with discrete output stage, lightly modified - added BNC jack, used coax wiring.

Mar 24, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #246 of 523
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After you listen to the BHSE, everything is low fi
wink.gif

Hey Jin

I really liked the Menace also. It was something I could listen to with my 650s.

So there I was listening to Alison Goldfrapp on the Menace...
dt880smile.png

I had Seventh Tree in flac with me and went back to the other room for a comparison, not expecting to hear how much better the Menace was than the Thingee > Stello > GS-1 rig I brought to the meet ... major bummer.....
devil_face.gif

[size=large]Now I have THE LOW FI BLUES
wink_face.gif
[/size]

Eric

Mar 24, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #247 of 523
Quote:

Originally Posted by scootermafia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know my DAC isn't the best, but my budget was limited. As I said, an audio-GD ref 3 or a Paradisea, something in the $800 range, would be a big upgrade, but there's no cash for that as of now.

The Moodlab Concept is tiny, but it's a passive DAC with no oversampling/upsampling and I think it does a very clean job without coloring the signal. I'm extremely happy with it pairing my my 650s and m3.

Hi Scooter

I didn't mean to imply that your DAC was somehow inferior, what I meant was that the M^3 was going to scale really well as you upgrade.

USG

Mar 24, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #248 of 523
Quote:

A defensive posture is not necessary, I'm not dissing your DAC. I'm trying to understand how a company can put not one, but two, high quality DACs, a high quality line amp and a high quality power supply in the same box at such a modest price point, ($1080 from Monarchy on AG).

Ah, but they did and thats the point. Thats why I asked if you have actually heard the thing - thats what matters. I've at least heard the Stello so I have some point of comparison. I'm not saying you can't question the quality of the thing, but you really didn't have much of a basis to do so other than price. Especially when there are a ton of reviews out there on the NM24 and the M24 from people who have listened to much more expensive equipment. In each of the reviews I read the reviewer remarked about how surprised they were with how Monarchy was able to fit two high quality DACs into one box.

I'm not getting defensive either, there is no point to. I'm not trying to convince you of anything. I already know I don't like the 8610. I already know the NM24 is high quality. You asked why I didn't like the 8610 and I gave my reasons always stating that it was my opinion. If you like it, thats fine with me I wasn't trying to put you down for enjoying them. It wouldn't bother me one bit if you heard the NM24 and preferred your soundcard. Why listen to something you don't like?

I'm also glad you heard awesome at a meet. Sounds like you found what sound you are aspiring your system be emulate. Good luck.

Mar 24, 2009 at 8:16 AM Post #249 of 523
Quote:

Ah, but they did and thats the point. Thats why I asked if you have actually heard the thing - thats what matters. I've at least heard the Stello so I have some point of comparison. I'm not saying you can't question the quality of the thing, but you really didn't have much of a basis to do so other than price. Especially when there are a ton of reviews out there on the NM24 and the M24 from people who have listened to much more expensive equipment. In each of the reviews I read the reviewer remarked about how surprised they were with how Monarchy was able to fit two high quality DACs into one box.
I'm not getting defensive either, there is no point to. I'm not trying to convince you of anything. I already know I don't like the 8610. I already know the NM24 is high quality. You asked why I didn't like the 8610 and I gave my reasons always stating that it was my opinion. If you like it, thats fine with me I wasn't trying to put you down for enjoying them. It wouldn't bother me one bit if you heard the NM24 and preferred your soundcard. Why listen to something you don't like?

I'm also glad you heard awesome at a meet. Sounds like you found what sound you are aspiring your system be emulate. Good luck.

Hey Cipher

This is a tough medium to communicate in... Maybe I didn't have enough Yoda's or wink faces
confused_face_2.gif

If you reread what I wrote, you will see that what I was questioning was the same thing that you report all the reviewers also questioned, so my thinking certainly wasn't out of line.
k701smile.gif

And those damn 8610s... can't say I'm in love with them either. Maybe the 8065s, I don't know? And it depends on which DAC I'm using. I'm going to try the 825s FA recommended and the 845s Grawk liked and I'm sure I'll be back to the 637/627s too ... but I'm starting to think that a DAC upgrade is going to be in order.

It is what it is.
o2smile.gif

You Can't Always Get What You Want.....
dt880smile.png
without spending a boat load of money.
beerchug.gif

I Got The Low Fi Blues.

USG

Mar 24, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #252 of 523
Quote:

Hey Jin

I really liked the Menace also. It was something I could listen to with my 650s.

So there I was listening to Alison Goldfrapp on the Menace...
dt880smile.png

I had Seventh Tree in flac with me and went back to the other room for a comparison, not expecting to hear how much better the Menace was than the Thingee > Stello > GS-1 rig I brought to the meet ... major bummer.....
devil_face.gif

[size=large]Now I have THE LOW FI BLUES
wink_face.gif
[/size]

Eric

the menace rig was spectacular. favorite hf-1 rig I've heard so far. (sorry grawk
wink.gif
)

Mar 24, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #254 of 523
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recommended 843s
smily_headphones1.gif

843s, I knew that.... I was just testing you...
evil_smiley.gif
confused.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

I'm trying to get with the program Cipher...

How about this with the 637/627s?

standard.jpg

USG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back