Rockbox Xduoo X3
Jul 21, 2018 at 10:54 PM Post #2,371 of 2,617
Well I want to put Rockbox on it. I would buy a gen 2 if I knew there was going to be a Rockbox version for it.

I have checked eBay carefully. There are a number of sellers advertising X2/X3 and when you look at their sale they only have X2s. Pretty useless.

I have two generation 1. Both stock configuration. One silver the other black. If you are keen enough we could work something out. The black was for my wife and she has not used it at all. The silver is in my hobby shop and I replaced it with my DX50 when it came back from a repair. Sits in a drawer ever since. I also have the original boxes. Give it a thought.

Cheers.

Jul 21, 2018 at 11:14 PM Post #2,372 of 2,617
I have a plans to release a rockbox for x3ii by the end of summer.

That's great news! I'll be sure to throw another PayPal donation your way once you release that! The community appreciates your contributions and help for sure!!

BTW, do you mean the X3 v2, or the X3+? X3+ is this one:

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #2,376 of 2,617
I'm confused too: how to identify X3 ver.1 and ver.2?

The X3 gen 1 and the X3 gen 2 have a very different button layout and different screen. Below is the X3 gen 2

I was unaware of that X3+ -- no clue how this unit relates to the other two.

W84OUfUdS2KUQiioefL0_Banner.jpg

Jul 22, 2018 at 12:55 PM Post #2,377 of 2,617
The X3 gen 1 and the X3 gen 2 have a very different button layout and different screen. Below is the X3 gen 2

I was unaware of that X3+ -- no clue how this unit relates to the other two.

W84OUfUdS2KUQiioefL0_Banner.jpg

Here’s the generations and revisions all break down.

There were 2 major “generations” of X3:
  • X3 generation 1, which had 3 minor revisions, v1 through v3 (detailed below). The changes were all internal, and there is no way to know which revision you have by external physical examination only. It is the generation that runs Rockbox.
  • X3 generation 2 (ie X3+), with all-new everything - new case, new internals, new firmware, new button layout, Bluetooth, 1 card slot instead of 2, etc. It is related to the generation 1 in model name only.

Of the X3 generation 1, the 3 internal revisions were as follows:
  • v1 had the “old” internal chip, 1500mAh battery, and fully supported Rockbox with dual boot.
  • v2 had the “old” internal chip, a larger 2000mAh capacity battery, and fully supported Rockbox with dual boot.
  • v3 has the “new” internal chip, which broke the ability to dual boot with Rockbox.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2018 at 3:58 PM Post #2,378 of 2,617
Oh goodie, I purchased mine in fall 2016 and I have no idea what capacity the internal battery has. See below.
I never installed RB on them either.
User gerund is interested in one of the two I own and I really have no interest to screw him just in case those are Gen 1 v3 type. I highly doubt it though.

upload_2018-7-22_15-58-20.png

Jul 22, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #2,379 of 2,617
Oh goodie, I purchased mine in fall 2016 and I have no idea what capacity the internal battery has. See below.
I never installed RB on them either.
User gerund is interested in one of the two I own and I really have no interest to screw him just in case those are Gen 1 v3 type. I highly doubt it though.

It’s easy to open it up and look at the battery. You’ll have to unstick the double sided tape that holds the battery to the board. The capacity is written right on it. It will either say 1500mAh or 2000mAh.

As far as the v3 having different internal hardware which broke dual boot Rockbox, that has now been fixed thanks to XVortex. So now it really doesn’t matter which gen1 revision you have (as far as Rockbox is concerned now). Dual boot Rockbox now works on all 3 revisions of the 1st generation X3 model.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2018 at 11:03 PM Post #2,381 of 2,617
I do not know how to return back to original FW, mine is black color X3, and now it is dead with black screen nothing to show but I can still hear the relay sound whenever I push the power button.

Jul 23, 2018 at 12:04 AM Post #2,382 of 2,617
Jul 23, 2018 at 5:14 PM Post #2,385 of 2,617
That would be great indeed! This will be the first bluetooth capable rockbox player or am I wrong?

I don’t think it will run Rockbox.

The other custom firmware he made, such as for the xduoo X20, are modified/improved stock firmware.

I am fairly sure that’s his plan for the X3+.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back