Rockbox Xduoo X3
Jul 23, 2018 at 9:38 PM Post #2,387 of 2,617
XVortex so far has done everything he said he would. I would encourage everyone to donate heavily on XVortex's main page.

Agreed. Don't be a moocher. He has spent hundreds and hundreds of hours of his own personal time working on these firmwares and providing support to HF members. And WE are the ones that directly benefit from that sacrifice.

Give the man at least $5. Or more if you can afford it ($10, $25 etc). That's the cost of a cup of coffee, or 1 lunch, or a few beers.

Jul 25, 2018 at 2:39 AM Post #2,390 of 2,617
I would also like to add that Rockbox also has a donation page (https://www.rockbox.org/), without their firmware and they also make it open-source, then this X3 Rockbox port would not have happened.
Let's not get carried away... Rockbox.org has not provide an image that can be used directly on X3; XVortex has adapted the raw Rockbox image for use with X3... The logic implies that it is up to XVortex to redistribute a share of the donations (that may have come his way) to Rockbox.org.
Tricky, isn' it...?

Jul 25, 2018 at 3:20 AM Post #2,391 of 2,617
Let's not get carried away... Rockbox.org has not provide an image that can be used directly on X3; XVortex has adapted the raw Rockbox image for use with X3... The logic implies that it is up to XVortex to redistribute a share of the donations (that may have come his way) to Rockbox.org.
Tricky, isn' it...?

Excuse me, I said nothing of the sort regarding the redistribution of donations. Donate to both if you can.

What I'm trying to say is that if Rockbox did not exist, we would probably be stuck with the Xduoo firmware so some credit should still be given to the Rockbox devs even though they were not directly involved with the port.

Jul 25, 2018 at 9:07 AM Post #2,392 of 2,617
Jul 29, 2018 at 7:06 AM Post #2,393 of 2,617
hello! long time lurker here looking for help.. I just got a x3 in the mail this week, installed rockbox via Vortex's instructions, used rockbox-full-c140430-180720.zip with update.zip

The only issue I'm having is that it is not being recognized as storage when I plug the microusb into my computer to charge. I have gone into the rockbox settings and made sure "Only change on usb insert" and "USB hide internal drive" are both on "No" which was the default.

Has anyone else had this issue? Excuse me if this was solved somewhere deep in the thread and I missed it

Edit: I'm running Windows 10 Home 64x

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2018 at 7:23 AM Post #2,394 of 2,617
Hi all.

I've got Rockbox on my X3, and I keep it in a soft pouch cable bag in my rucksack.

My problem is that frequently I find that the buttons have been pressed in transit, turning the x3 on and running the battery down.

Because the lock switch has been re-purposed by Rockbox, is there another way to lock the X3 to prevent this happening ?

I have searched this thread but couldn't find anything related to this.

Pete

Jul 29, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #2,395 of 2,617
Hi all.

I've got Rockbox on my X3, and I keep it in a soft pouch cable bag in my rucksack.

My problem is that frequently I find that the buttons have been pressed in transit, turning the x3 on and running the battery down.

Because the lock switch has been re-purposed by Rockbox, is there another way to lock the X3 to prevent this happening ?

I have searched this thread but couldn't find anything related to this.

Pete

The case I made from the $2 Nintendo DS case prevents all inadvertent button presses, regardless of the lock button position. If you search the thread, you’ll find the details/How2.

Jul 29, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #2,396 of 2,617
The only issue I'm having is that it is not being recognized as storage when I plug the microusb into my computer to charge.

I also get this behavior, though I'll admit I never use USB to transfer or manage music. When it DID work it was so painfully slow as to be useless. I always use a USB MicroSD adapter and just pop out the cards.

I know USB has been historically tricky on some Rockbox ports, and it's likely that XVortex doesn't have time to deal with it. For me it's far from a deal breaker.

Jul 30, 2018 at 12:25 AM Post #2,397 of 2,617
I also get this behavior, though I'll admit I never use USB to transfer or manage music. When it DID work it was so painfully slow as to be useless. I always use a USB MicroSD adapter and just pop out the cards.

I know USB has been historically tricky on some Rockbox ports, and it's likely that XVortex doesn't have time to deal with it. For me it's far from a deal breaker.

Agreed. Even with the stock firmware the direct USB connectivity was slow and flaky.

The sd card in a usb reader is the way to go, stock or Rockbox.

Jul 31, 2018 at 4:45 PM Post #2,398 of 2,617
The case I made from the $2 Nintendo DS case prevents all inadvertent button presses, regardless of the lock button position. If you search the thread, you’ll find the details/How2.

Thanks Slater. I found the thread but can't find a supplier of the case (I live in the UK).

I assume there is no way to lock the buttons then ?

Cheers
Pete

Jul 31, 2018 at 7:38 PM Post #2,399 of 2,617
Did you do a search on eBay? I’m sure there are other sellers that have them.

Also, if you have access to a 3D printer, someone made a free X3 case you can print. I think it’s on thingverse.

Finally, on Aliexpress there used to be leather X3 cases. I don’t know if the leather case is think enough that it recessedthe buttons. I can only speak for the Nintendo DS case.

Aug 1, 2018 at 9:34 AM Post #2,400 of 2,617
I've never gotten the cards in my X3 to be recognized when plugged into computer (windows 7 professional, 64bit). On my Opus#1 it's dependent on the USB cable I use,
some of them connect to charge and not to Explorer, useful when I want to charge and listen at same time. As noted earlier use an SD reader to transfer files.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back