Rockbox Xduoo X3
Dec 12, 2017 at 5:12 AM Post #2,086 of 2,617
Can anyone help me decide which one to get between xduoo x3 and walnut v2s. Battery life and functionality doesn't matter. I'm all in for the SQ. Looking for the one that has larger soundstage and better imaging, resolution, clarity and detail. Can someone tell me how they differ from one another and which one you prefer. I have the grado sr80e and audio technica m50x. Using the vido earbuds as well and rose mojito. In-ear I have is the havi b3 pro 1 and fiio ex1 2nd gen. So which one will better suit my preference? Xduoo x3 vs walnut v2s.

Dec 12, 2017 at 5:28 AM Post #2,087 of 2,617
Can anyone help me decide which one to get between xduoo x3 and walnut v2s. Battery life and functionality doesn't matter. I'm all in for the SQ. Looking for the one that has larger soundstage and better imaging, resolution, clarity and detail. Can someone tell me how they differ from one another and which one you prefer. I have the grado sr80e and audio technica m50x. Using the vido earbuds as well and rose mojito. In-ear I have is the havi b3 pro 1 and fiio ex1 2nd gen. So which one will better suit my preference? Xduoo x3 vs walnut v2s.
I think the x3 is the better choice for your needs

Dec 12, 2017 at 7:26 AM Post #2,088 of 2,617
Here's a tip..don't ask such question on the product thread you will never hear anyone say no buy the other one.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2017 at 8:56 AM Post #2,089 of 2,617
I'd be tempted to use the card reader more except the slot architecture is not handy for big fat fingers... that and the real possibility of a spring loaded launch into the nether regions of my desk keeps me leaning on USB2. <shrugs>
Thanks for the welcome.

Hi, maybe you already know this but one tip I picked up in here is to use the corner of a credit card, rather than my finger, when popping the sd card out and when doing the final push in. I do it very gently Also I always make sure that when I am popping it out that I shield the player in a way that the card cannot accidentally fly too far.

Dec 13, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #2,090 of 2,617

No problem with the Vido, but chances are you can damage the Mojitos and your ears with the Walnuts volume knob. The Mojitos love high gain at a low volume on a powerful amp, but with the Walnut you will have next to no room for altering the volume from off to oh-my-god-this-is-killing-my-ears. Zishan Z1 is better to look at as an alternative to the X3. But still, I would recommend the X3 as a base, and If you want to alter the sound you can add an amp like the JAZZ R7.0 where you can play around with various op amps.

Dec 17, 2017 at 2:42 AM Post #2,091 of 2,617
Hi all, i have posted some questions in the main X3 thread but realised that there is one for rockboxed X3. Tried to look for the info on the wiki page but it didnt help and i am abit lazy to pore through 2000 posts in this thread so here i am. (Edit: 250posts in and all are troubleshooting problems with rockboxing xD)

I will definitely rockbox the X3 so these are the questions:

1) if i am listening to a song, and i go to my now playing list, does it go to the current song i am playing (i have experience with benjie S5 that it goes to the last file i have navigated to)

2) shuffle songs in a folder function (good for artist shuffle, saw that the stock doesnt support this)

3) Navigating between folders (can we do like parent folder and sub folder search? Again the S5 doesnt have this, it just read all songs and throw it into one list)

4) does the now playing screen shows the full title of the song that is playing? Like sliding or something?

5) is it easy to get the best playing volume? There are 100 steps if i am not mistaken (S5 again has horrible step volume, 5 is too soft for commute, but 6 is too loud)

Thanks alot!

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #2,092 of 2,617
Here's a tip..don't ask such question on the product thread you will never hear anyone say no buy the other one.

That is not always true. I have recommended the Cayin N3 on a few other threads. But only if I have both players. There are usually pros and cons with both. Having two card slots is one of the biggest advantages of the xDuoo X3 for me. Rockbox is a big advantage for those coming from an older player where they were used to having rockbox and depend on its features.

Dec 18, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #2,093 of 2,617
Hi all, i have posted some questions in the main X3 thread but realised that there is one for rockboxed X3. Tried to look for the info on the wiki page but it didnt help and i am abit lazy to pore through 2000 posts in this thread so here i am. (Edit: 250posts in and all are troubleshooting problems with rockboxing xD)

I will definitely rockbox the X3 so these are the questions:

1) if i am listening to a song, and i go to my now playing list, does it go to the current song i am playing (i have experience with benjie S5 that it goes to the last file i have navigated to)

2) shuffle songs in a folder function (good for artist shuffle, saw that the stock doesnt support this)

3) Navigating between folders (can we do like parent folder and sub folder search? Again the S5 doesnt have this, it just read all songs and throw it into one list)

4) does the now playing screen shows the full title of the song that is playing? Like sliding or something?

5) is it easy to get the best playing volume? There are 100 steps if i am not mistaken (S5 again has horrible step volume, 5 is too soft for commute, but 6 is too loud)

Thanks alot!

You can definitely get good refined volume control with the xDuoo. I know what you mean about S5. I do not have that but my Ruizu A50 is like that with sensitive IEMs. Sometimes I wish I could have it at 6.5 or 7.5.

You have many choices as to what is shown on the screen when you use rockbox. On the rockbox site you will find many skins. Any of the ones for the Sansa Clip will work. When I have time I will find mine and post it. I use one that tells me the info that I want with a font that I am able to see without a magnifying glass...lol.

In folder view, using stock or rockbox, you can navigate folders as you would in windows.

Rockbox has so many features that I have not used or needed. I am pretty sure you could do the shuffling that you mention. Maybe someone else will confirm. I never shuffle. I only play full albums.

I am not sure what you exactly mean with your first question but ,if I am understanding it correctly, the answer is yes. Again, hopefully someone else will confirm.

You will need to use the search function in the thread as your questions come up once you have the player. So much has been discussed in detail that you will get better answers if you can find those discussions.

Dec 18, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #2,094 of 2,617
… You have many choices as to what is shown on the screen when you use rockbox. On the rockbox site you will find many skins. Any of the ones for the Sansa Clip will work. When I have time I will find mine and post it. I use one that tells me the info that I want with a font that I am able to see without a magnifying glass...lol…
Please do post. It'd be nice to show more info than what's there with the default setup. I used RockBox years ago on my Clip and Clip+ and never even thought of looking for a better skin for the X3.

With the newer players showing album art which I'm sure is because of smartphones being able to play music it was odd going back to a player that only displayed text so I never even thought of skins. I've seen mention of the Walnut player which has no display at all. I had that sort of player 20 years ago back when SD cards, the full sized ones, were a big deal if you could get a 512Mb size. And even then with the number of 96k mp3 files made keeping track of what you were playing seemed daunting. I can't conceive of a 256Gb card and all those songs and no display on a player.

Dec 18, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #2,095 of 2,617
I can't conceive of a 256Gb card and all those songs and no display on a player.

As a person who only plays full albums, I cannot even imaging how that would work with no display... can you even play albums on those players or is it just one big mess of songs?

Dec 18, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #2,096 of 2,617
Please do post. It'd be nice to show more info than what's there with the default setup. I used RockBox years ago on my Clip and Clip+ and never even thought of looking for a better skin for the X3.

With the newer players showing album art which I'm sure is because of smartphones being able to play music it was odd going back to a player that only displayed text so I never even thought of skins. I've seen mention of the Walnut player which has no display at all. I had that sort of player 20 years ago back when SD cards, the full sized ones, were a big deal if you could get a 512Mb size. And even then with the number of 96k mp3 files made keeping track of what you were playing seemed daunting. I can't conceive of a 256Gb card and all those songs and no display on a player.

As far as themes, they have some really nice ones, that give more useful information and have a better layout than the stock theme.

All of the themes are here: http://themes.rockbox.org/index.php?target=sansaclipplus

You just download & unzip the files onto the card, and use the "Settings - Theme Settings - Browse Theme Files" option in Rockbox to change between them.

I was able to find some really nice Base Skins and WPSs. I'm sooo glad I did. The ones I'm using now are cleaner, easier to read, cooler looking, etc than the 2 built-in ones. There's really simple themes, nerd overload themes, large text themes, alternate language themes, and even 'themed' themes (Pac-Man, Pokemon, Star Trek, Aliens, etc).

Check them out on that link - there's probably 75 different ones. After trying 15 of them, I narrowed it down to 2 in particular - Sweet and Balanced.

Finally, note that you can mix-and-match themes. In other words, you can change the whole theme (which includes the base "skin" and the WPS ie "While Playing Screen"). Or you can use the base "skin" from 1 theme, and the WPS from a different screen. The latter is what I did, because despite finding a base skin I liked, I didn't care for the WPS that came with that theme. Likewise, I liked the WPS that came with a different theme, but not the base skin. So I just took the parts of each theme that I liked, and ended up with the ultimate "franken-theme" setup.

Dec 18, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #2,097 of 2,617

This is the one I stuck with after downloading and trying many....probably at least 20. I did all this a year and a half ago so I am happy that @Slater shared such detailed instructions.

http://themes.rockbox.org/index.php?themeid=1420&target=sansaclipplus

wps-WPS1.png

It actually looks better in real life than it does in that image. There is no yellow color on the X3... only the blue. I like that this one gives an estimate of remaining battery time, volume, what number track you are on, plus the artist, album, song title and how much time is remaining in the song. This suits me as an album listener. Others may like the info that is available in other skins. I needed to keep the font size readable as well.

Dec 18, 2017 at 7:37 PM Post #2,098 of 2,617
Thanks @mbwilson111!! Either way i figured out that i will have the player in my arsenal so i have alr purchased the X3 ytd. Guess i will come out with more questions here and there after christmas but it seem like a really good player.

Kinda make me question myself why did i choose the Zishan DSD over it last christmas.

And also thanks @Slater for the link! The last 2 images look really good, the right one in particular which is really clean. Gotta play with it when i get my hands in the X3 :D

Dec 19, 2017 at 6:34 AM Post #2,099 of 2,617
@weedophile
Here are some pictures comparing the players. I use the Hi-Fi theme for browsing as well as playing and 08-Rockfont for browsing. My only problem is that the rockboxed X3 cannot display Hangul and Kanji while browsing with such a tiny font. No problem displaying Hangul and Kanji in player mode though.

From left to right: Silver X3 stock firmware, Black X3 Rockboxed, Benji S5

While playing
IMG_0534.JPG

While browsing
IMG_0536.JPG

And before someone ask why I use a stock firmware X3, is because I have plenty of cards that are not FAT32 formatted and I frequently change cards between different players.

Dec 19, 2017 at 6:42 AM Post #2,100 of 2,617
@weedophile
Here are some pictures comparing the players. I use the Hi-Fi theme for browsing as well as playing and 08-Rockfont for browsing. My only problem is that the rockboxed X3 cannot display Hangul and Kanji while browsing with such a tiny font. No problem displaying Hangul and Kanji in player mode though.

From left to right: Silver X3 stock firmware, Black X3 Rockboxed, Benji S5

While playing

While browsing

And before someone ask why I use a stock firmware X3, is because I have plenty of cards that are not FAT32 formatted and I frequently change cards between different players.

Wow thanks man! The RB X3 seems like the best for navigation. One question: on a pain in the ass scale of 1 to 10 (10 being the most painful), how do u rate the navigation of the S5 once u have tried the RB X3?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back