Rockbox Xduoo X3
Dec 10, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #2,073 of 2,617
Obviously. So great. I didn't get a response for a couple days, so wasn't sure how active this forum would be, but the response has been terriific. I still haven't gotten it yet, but when I do. I feel like i've got plenty of 'real life' experience to call upon. Thanks so much to you all.

if you have not already done so you really should try to read from the beginning. Much of it you can skim through quickly. Other parts will answer all your questions.

Dec 10, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #2,074 of 2,617
A handy effect of having rockbox running from the card that has the audio files on it is that the rockbox settings can be different for different cards or sets of files ( I use smaller cards with different sets of files on them ). By switching cards it's easy to switch to a completely different rockbox environment.

An example of what I mean is that I have a card full of old albums from the 60s that are uncomfortable to listen to with earphones because they are 'mixed' with extreme left right pan positions due to the way they were recorded using very few recording tracks. Some Beatles albums, for example. The rockbox settings on that card include a severe narrowing of the stereo width of the mix.

I might be a bit unusual in that I don't like wide panning of artificially stereo music if I'm listening to it with headphones or earphones. On the other hand, I do love the lush stereo width of modern recording techniques and effects.

In the past, music was mixed and mastered to make 2 wooden boxes spaced several feet apart sound as exciting as possible. With earphones, those mixes are too exteme, usually. Well, they are for my ears and taste.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #2,075 of 2,617
A handy effect of having rockbox running from the card that has the audio files on it is that the rockbox settings can be different for different cards or sets of files ( I use smaller cards with different sets of files on them ). By switching cardsm it easy to switch to a completely different tockbox environment.

An example of what I mean is that I have a card full of old albums from the 60s that are uncomfortable to listen to with earphones because they are 'mixed' with extreme left right pan positions due to the way they were recorded using very few recording tracks. Some Beatles albums, for example. The rockbox settings on that card include a severe narrowing of the stereo width of the mix.

I might be a bit unusual in that I don't like wide panning of artificially stereo music if I'm listening to it with headphones or earphones. On the other hand, I do love the lush stereo width of modern recording techniques and effects.

In the past, music was mixed and mastered to make 2 wooden boxes spaced several feet apart sound as exciting as possible. With earphones, those mixes are too exteme, usually. Well, that are for my ears and taste.

This is a really good idea. I find that I don't listen much to my older albums for that reason. Because I am not using my xDuoo much anymore, since getting my Cayin and my Opus, this is what I should do. My X3 could be my oldies player.

Dec 10, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #2,076 of 2,617
Greets.
This might be my first "real" post. At least for help. 'Got the XDuuo X3 in June '17. Only had one 128gb card at the time. Rock'd it. All's good.

Now I've properly formatted a 64gb card (via guiformat.exe) and eased it into slot 2, but since then I notice that an addition to the opening menu has appeared, I now see <microSD1> in the sub menu under FILES.

In my Win7 explorer, card one presents as Removable Disk E: No other Drive/SD card is recognized. (When loading via USB you must be able to direct the transfer to a specific card/drive so not seeing this extra 64gb is problematic.) In as much as I'm on my last 15gb of the visible SD1 card I'd like to be able to use this extra capacity.

I fall on the mercy of the board to please point me to significant threads/posts that will explain my situation with hopes of resolution. I ordinarily fall into the same camp as those who advise "Read the whole thread" but I find a thread started in 2016 w/300+ pages to be a bit daunting, and I'm not retired yet so have other things more pressing... that and I haven't yet hit upon a successful search string that helps.

Again, 1000 pardons, is there help for me? Thanks so much.

Dec 10, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #2,077 of 2,617
Now I've properly formatted a 64gb card (via guiformat.exe) and eased it into slot 2, but since then I notice that an addition to the opening menu has appeared, I now see <microSD1

Ok so your player is seeing both cards but your PC is not. If I connect my player to the PC I get a drive letter assigned to each. I wonder why yours is not doing that. What happens if you put that card into a card reader?

I am also using windows 7

that new <microSD1 is that second card in the player

the first card is just treated as if it were part of the player I guess... it is a bit weird
my first card just shows as MUSIC because all my albums are in a folder called MUSIC

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2017 at 4:37 PM Post #2,078 of 2,617
Ok so your player is seeing both cards but your PC is not. If I connect my player to the PC I get a drive letter assigned to each. I wonder why yours is not doing that. What happens if you put that card into a card reader?

I am also using windows 7

that new <microSD1 is that second card in the player

the first card is just treated as if it were part of the player I guess... it is a bit weird
my first card just shows as MUSIC because all my albums are in a folder called MUSIC

Thanks 'Wilson.
I'm not sure if what's reporting as <microSD1> is really the second card or not. It's possible, so perhaps that's why you say that the X3 is seeing both cards. (Below the extra card item, the rest of my content is showing as normal. I have it organized more or less as separate folders by genera.)
I don't see two Removable Drives when connected to the PC. When I use a card reader with the new 64gb card it assigns a Drive letter and shows empty.

FWIW, this didn't just happen today. I added the second SD card a couple weeks ago... just now getting around to addressing this.
Again, thanks.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #2,079 of 2,617
Thanks 'Wilson.
I'm not sure if what's reporting as <microSD1> is really the second card or not. It's possible, so perhaps that's why you say that the X3 is seeing both cards. (Below the extra card item, the rest of my content is showing as normal. I have it organized more or less as separate folders by genera.)
I don't see two Removable Drives when connected to the PC. When I use a card reader with the new 64gb card it assigns a Drive letter and shows empty.

FWIW, this didn't just happen today. I added the second SD card a couple weeks ago... just now getting around to addressing this.
Again, thanks.

Put some music on that second card using the card reader and then make sure the player sees it.

Dec 10, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #2,080 of 2,617
I'm not sure if what's reporting as <microSD1> is really the second card or not. It's possible, so perhaps that's why you say that the X3 is seeing both cards. (Below the extra card item, the rest of my content is showing as normal

This is entirely normal. I made a Music folder on each card and put all the albums inside. That way the rockbox folder is not lost among the album folders.

Dec 10, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #2,081 of 2,617
Well, Ms.* Wilson...
It now seems crystal clear as to what half of my question's solution is/was. The addition of actual content on the second card made a world of difference! When viewed in the X3/RB world, I can now see and hear from card 2... even though it doesn't say card 2. (What was I supposed to believe seeing miroSD1? :confused:) Were it not for the part about Win7 still not being able to see that second card as another removable drive while in the X3, I'd say problem solved. It's going to be somewhat of a pain to have to manage that second slot from a reader but I might live. When viewed in Explorer the boot slot 1 content is one drive and the extra card shows as a second. Thanks for being gentle w/my ignorance.

* Thanks to oyobass for the "clarification".

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #2,082 of 2,617
The <microSD1> designation is a leftover from Rockbox being ported to players with internal storage and MicroSD expansion. Rockbox was always installed on internal storage, so external was considered <microSD1>, but since the X3 has no internal storage, Rockbox considers the card it's installed on as internal, and the card it's not as that external card. It's confusing, to be sure.

In earlier releases of XVortex's Rockbox port, data transfer via USB was slow at best, unreliable at worst. I've started just using card readers all the time for music transfer and organization. It could be that your Slot 2 card doesn't appear in Windows because of flaky USB support. Have you left the player plugged in for 10-15 minutes to see if Windows finds and mounts the second card after a while?

Also: welcome!

Dec 10, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #2,083 of 2,617
The <microSD1> designation is a leftover from Rockbox being ported to players with internal storage and MicroSD expansion. Rockbox was always installed on internal storage, so external was considered <microSD1>, but since the X3 has no internal storage, Rockbox considers the card it's installed on as internal, and the card it's not as that external card. It's confusing, to be sure.

Thanks for stating that so clearly. It is what I was trying to say earlier but somehow was unable to explain it correctly.

Dec 10, 2017 at 11:19 PM Post #2,084 of 2,617
Thanks for the crystal explanation. Makes perfect sence when you know the history.

Sometimes the ol'e Win7 doesn't recognize the X3 and it requires a little patience. (My office Win10 machine refuses to see the RB'd X3.) Eventually it sees a drive but it does a "full read" of the contents before showing a tree. I'd be tempted to use the card reader more except the slot architecture is not handy for big fat fingers... that and the real possibility of a spring loaded launch into the nether regions of my desk keeps me leaning on USB2. <shrugs>
Thanks for the welcome.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2017 at 4:32 AM Post #2,085 of 2,617
How do you make playlists with songs that have special characters? (Like , or japanese characters)

Im making playlists using foobar, saving them as m3us and putting them in the playlist folder, but the songs don't get recognized when I attempt to play them through playlists

Edit: Nevermind, figured it out. Got to save it as M3U8 file!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back