Rockbox Xduoo X3
Dec 3, 2017 at 9:31 PM Post #2,041 of 2,617
Hey Andrew,
The Rockbox utility is only used for installing Rockbox on compatible players (and it runs Windows 10). The XDuoo X3 is technically not "compatible," so it's not on the list. You would install Rockbox by following the instructions on Vortex's page, linked in the first post.

You do not need any sort of iTunes-like software to manage your music with a Rockbox player. You just drag & drop your music folders onto the player, which basically operated as removable storage that plays your music. I use Foobar2000 to create and save playlists, edit tags, and so on.

I've been using Rockbox on various players for a decade now, and I love it. It's a very powerful firmware with a ton of options.

Hey thanks so much for the info, wow..10 years aye? Well you're exactly the expert I was hoping to hear from thanks so much! Ok, so its 'technically not compatible?' But i've seen various posts about it here and on Youtube where the firmware does seem to work for the X3? So it sounds like it's doable. Foobar 2000?? Now that's a new one on me too...I'm gonna take a look at that also! Thanks so much, I may have a few more questions, as I haven't gotten the device as of yet, if you won't mind? Thanks again. Really appreciate the input.

Andrew

Dec 3, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #2,042 of 2,617
Yeah, no worries. I'll do my best to check in on the forum more than I have been lately. How it breaks down is this:

Rockbox was developed as a replacement firmware back in the day for the old Archos players. Since then, it's been ported to a bunch of other MP3 players, as displayed on their firmware download page. The firmware must be customized for each player, and all that development is done by a team of volunteers.

There are a few branches of Rockbox that have been developed independently by brilliant folks like XVortex, but they aren't considered part of the "official" Rockbox project. They're referred to as "unsupported builds" and documented sporadically on the Rockbox forums.

While XVortex's port of Rockbox for the XDuoo X3 works a treat (I use it as my daily player), it still lies outside of the main Rockbox development, so it's not included in the list of players the Rockbox Utility supports. Unsupported or unstable builds are only that way because of some strangeness--the iPod Classic 6G is "Unstable" just because the installation process isn't dead easy. Otherwise, it installs and works just fine.

So, long story a bit shorter: XVortex's XDuoo X3 port of the Rockbox firmware works great, but he & a few collaborators are working on this specific player outside of the main Rockbox project. As such, you'll have to get your information and updates from his page. His port acts similarly to the Sansa Clip+ port, so that Rockbox manual will probably help you out.

Shifting gears, Foobar2000 is a Windows-only music player that's got a pretty basic (but customizable and skinnable) interface and a TON of features for tagging, ripping, creating playlists, and transcoding files. It's not as easy out-of-the-box as iTunes, but it's free and it has a huge community behind it if you need help figuring it out.

Like I said, I'll try to be better about checking in if you have questions!

Dec 3, 2017 at 10:23 PM Post #2,043 of 2,617
Yeah, no worries. I'll do my best to check in on the forum more than I have been lately. How it breaks down is this:

Rockbox was developed as a replacement firmware back in the day for the old Archos players. Since then, it's been ported to a bunch of other MP3 players, as displayed on their firmware download page. The firmware must be customized for each player, and all that development is done by a team of volunteers.

There are a few branches of Rockbox that have been developed independently by brilliant folks like XVortex, but they aren't considered part of the "official" Rockbox project. They're referred to as "unsupported builds" and documented sporadically on the Rockbox forums.

While XVortex's port of Rockbox for the XDuoo X3 works a treat (I use it as my daily player), it still lies outside of the main Rockbox development, so it's not included in the list of players the Rockbox Utility supports. Unsupported or unstable builds are only that way because of some strangeness--the iPod Classic 6G is "Unstable" just because the installation process isn't dead easy. Otherwise, it installs and works just fine.

So, long story a bit shorter: XVortex's XDuoo X3 port of the Rockbox firmware works great, but he & a few collaborators are working on this specific player outside of the main Rockbox project. As such, you'll have to get your information and updates from his page. His port acts similarly to the Sansa Clip+ port, so that Rockbox manual will probably help you out.

Shifting gears, Foobar2000 is a Windows-only music player that's got a pretty basic (but customizable and skinnable) interface and a TON of features for tagging, ripping, creating playlists, and transcoding files. It's not as easy out-of-the-box as iTunes, but it's free and it has a huge community behind it if you need help figuring it out.

Like I said, I'll try to be better about checking in if you have questions!

Hey you are awesome! I totally would appreciate your expertise as I go along here. I see the whole history of it now...had no idea, starting to make a lot more sense...I had an archos player years back in fact...The reason I'm asking all this is because I've been using a Ipod Classic for years.... but it only had 160 gigs...and it just gave up the ghost, why I was looking for another alternative, and as much as I love Itunes since Apple has discontinued the Classic anyway, and don't have anything big enough to handle my now going on nearly 200 gigs worth of music, I started looking for alternatives, and the X3 for the price seemed to be a good way to go, although without the familiarity of Apple products I've known for years...I just downloaded Foobar2000, it's pretty so far, I'm wondering...how do you use it, does it 'sync' to your player? Probably not right? How do you use it exactly...I presume that you're able to transfer info from the program to your player? Itunes like? Hey really was totally in the dark on all this, I really needed someone with your amount of experience for enlightenment on the subject. Really appreciate it. I'm not sure what your name is, sure do appreciate it my friend. Thanks again.

Dec 4, 2017 at 10:46 PM Post #2,044 of 2,617
Not sure I'd call myself an expert, but I'm glad to help.

Foobar2000 doesn't sync your music like iTunes does, but it's a solid PC music player, and it has a lot of tools built-in to re-tag music files, rip CDs, add Replay Gain information, and most everything I'd feel like doing to my music. It's not so much a music manager as a powerful all-around tool.

How you get music onto the X3 is by copying it as you would any other computer file. Think of it as an enhanced USB drive. Plug your MicroSD card into your computer (it's much faster if you use a card reader instead of plugging in the X3). Open your music folder on your PC, select the music you want and drag it onto the MicroSD card. If you're good about keeping your music tagged and organized in folders, it makes browsing much easier. :wink:

If you've purchased a lot of music through iTunes, you may have to export MP3 versions of your music, though I'm pretty sure Rockbox will play non-protected AAC/ALAC files.

If you'd like an all-in-one music manager, MediaMonkey might be the program for you. It's not free, but it's more iTunes-like and you can use it to sync your music to a Rockbox player.

You mentioned you have a dead iPod Classic. Depending on how much money/time/effort/frustration you'd like to spend, you can get a new battery for it and upgrade its storage to a 4-slot MicroSD "drive" that uses whatever cards you plug into it as one big hard drive: https://www.iflash.xyz/store/iflash-quad/
Can you imagine 4 200GB cards in there for 800GB of storage? Running Rockbox? :ksc75smile: I always wanted to try one in my old Classic, but opening those things is near impossible without bending the back all up. Once my battery finally dies, I'll probably take the plunge.

So anyway. The X3 isn't as posh as the Classic, but it's pretty straightforward--just copy your music to it like any other USB drive, and browse the filetree like you would find files on your computer.

Dec 5, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #2,045 of 2,617
Foobar2000 doesn't sync your music like iTunes does, but it's a solid PC music player,

I have used Foobar2000 as my PC music player since... well... 2000 :)

I have never actually tried any of the other features but I think I will rip some cds with it soon. I had never really thought about it.

Dec 5, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #2,046 of 2,617
I've heard a little bit about retooling the classic, which would be great, but as it was dying it actually got lost in the process too dammit.....so unfortunately, not an option. Thus why I got the X3...I've got about 175 gigs worth of tunes so far...so I think it will be pretty adequate for a while....Oh Media Monkey is Rockbox compatible?? Nice!! I was looking at that the other day...right before I found the Rockbox stuff in fact..You're really knowledgeable about this stuff, so helpful my friend. Have you ever tried Media Monkey?? That is so good to know..I wonder how accurately it works with Rockbox?? I really liked the sync feature in Itunes...it was really accurate on syncing any new stuff I added...such a nice feature...

Yeah, I figured it works like an external drive more or less...And yeah, My tunes are really well organized, with Album art and meta data, I've specifically gone through and corrected or added all the missing or mislabled stuff in MP3 tag...That program has worked really for me.

How are the playing features on your X3? One thing I was wondering, like if you want to play randomly? Will it pick from both sd cards randomly?? Or does it just play from one card at a time?

Hey thanks so much again, you are exactly the right person to talk to! Thanks again.

Drew

Dec 7, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #2,048 of 2,617
I cannot boot in to the stock firmware anymore. As suggested in this thread some pages ago, I'm trying to go back to stock firmware with "manual installation", but I don't know how.
I'm on Win 7 Pro 32-bit (virtual machine) and I run the "C:\xDuoo\Flash_Stock.bat" command but there is no "OPTION" button in the USBBurnTool...
And I don't know how install the driver for JZ4760 as mentioned in the manual (mine X3 is not recognised by Windows because it boot only in rockbox mode)...
Can someone help me?

Dec 7, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #2,049 of 2,617
I cannot boot in to the stock firmware anymore. As suggested in this thread some pages ago, I'm trying to go back to stock firmware with "manual installation", but I don't know how.
I'm on Win 7 Pro 32-bit (virtual machine) and I run the "C:\xDuoo\Flash_Stock.bat" command but there is no "OPTION" button in the USBBurnTool...
And I don't know how install the driver for JZ4760 as mentioned in the manual (mine X3 is not recognised by Windows because it boot only in rockbox mode)...
Can someone help me?
I had the same issue and went through the trouble of reloading the original bootloader and then reinstalling Rockbox from scratch. It worked, then it happened again and I didn't bother with it after that. I consider it a bug in the native bootloader and I don't think Xduoo is going to do anything about it, plus I only ever use Rockbox on it. Without Rockbox the X3 would be a joke, with it it's a great sounding player at a great price.

Dec 7, 2017 at 11:23 PM Post #2,050 of 2,617
Oh Media Monkey is Rockbox compatible?? [...] ..I wonder how accurately it works with Rockbox?? I really liked the sync feature in Itunes...it was really accurate on syncing any new stuff I added...such a nice feature...

I'm not sure if it will keep everything automatically synced, but I've never used that feature--I always sync manually because I don't trust the software to do it right. :wink: I think MediaMonkey will sync music by playlist? It's been years since I even tried MediaMonkey, so I honestly couldn't say.

The way Rockbox behaves, there's no easy way to randomize everything on the player, no matter which player you use. There are two ways to do it, though:

Method 1: Database. If you initialize the Rockbox database, it will inventory everything on the player (both cards, as far as I know) and keep a database of all the music on the player, similar to how the iPod does it. That way you can search music by artist, album, song title, genre, etc. without navigating a PC-style file tree. To randomize everything, simply navigate to songs and add them to the current playlist. Change the play mode to Shuffle and you're good. The problem with initializing the Database is that is slows down the player. When you power on, Rockbox does a quick database check, which can slow the boot time down by 10-20 seconds, depending on how much it has to do. If ind the player is far more responsive without the Database.

Method 2: Make a playlist. In Foobar2000, I just add all the music folders to one playlist and save it (Foobar2000 always defaults to its native Playlist format, .fpl, so you'll have to change it to .m3u or .m3u8 and save). The Big Trick with this method, though, is that Foobar uses the drive letter to specify where the files are, so you need to change that, and this is where things get sticky. Once your playlist is saved, open it in a text editor (Windows Notepad works fine). Then you have to Find/Replace the drive letter for each card.

Let's assume your Slot 1 card is drive D: and your Slot 2 card is drive E:. Rockbox looks for Playlists in a folder called Playlists (I know, weird) in the root of the Slot 1 card. Since Rockbox doesn't use the Windows drive letters (D: and E:) it has no idea where to find your files as listed in the playlist. Drive D: is easy to fix. Find all instances of D: and get rid of it so your entries in the playlist look something like "/Arcade High/Heat Wave EP/04 Coastline.mp3". Slot 2 is a little different. Rockbox calls that one <microSD1>. That means you'll have to do another Find/Replace and change every E: to <microSD1> so the music on the Slot 2 card is referred to as "/<microSD1>/Arcade High/Heat Wave EP/04 Coastline.mp3". For our purposes, the slash "/" tells it to back out to the root directory and start looking for the file folders there. So for Slot 2, the line reads: back out to the root directory, then go to <microSD1>, then the Arcade High folder, then the Head Wave EP folder, then the 04 Coastline.mp3 file.

Clear as mud.

The payoff for me is that it's relatively easy to build a playlist on the player itself. Navigate to the folder or song you'd like to add and long-press the Play button. You'll get the Playlist menu where you can add the folder/song to the current playlist in order or shuffled. Once you're done, saving the playlist is a bit of a chore, but that's mostly due to the odd button mapping that has to happen on the X3. Easiest: randomize everything on <microSD1> by highlighting it, long-pressing Play, and selecting Current Playlist, then Insert Shuffled. I usually keep my Various Artists compilations on that card for easy shuffle.

Oof, this was a long one. Sorry about that.

Dec 8, 2017 at 3:31 AM Post #2,051 of 2,617
I asked over on the regular X3 thread not realizing that there was a specific one for rockbox…

Just to double check…

Despite what the official page for this unofficial rockbox implementation says the requirement for a Windows 7 or older machine is not applicable. In fact the installation can be done with just a SD card reader and placing the correct files in the root directory of the 1st SD card. Correct?

Dec 9, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #2,052 of 2,617
Correct.

The modified X3 firmware update from XVortex's page as well as the entire .rockbox folder should be in the root of the card in Slot 1. It helps if the card itself is 16GB or less, formatted to FAT32 (they usually are already). It doesn't matter how the files got there. Update the X3 via its built-in method, and when it boots, the Rockbox OS is entirely run out of that .rockbox folder at the root of the card. You can delete the firmware update, but never the .rockbox folder, and if you swap out the card in Slot 1 with a different card, make sure to copy the entire .rockbox folder to the new card first.

Dec 9, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #2,053 of 2,617
Here is the fix for the dim screen that is hard to read in the sunlight. It is very easy to do, and only costs a few dollars: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/rockbox-xduoo-x3.803844/page-101#post_13376076

(Click for larger photo view)

Finally Got around to doing this. It came out very bright although a bit rough on the edges. Getting the old screen protector off is a massive PITA.

Initially I doubled up screen protector so it stuck out a little around the edges instead of being recessed as Zedlabs screen protectors are thinner than the stock one. I glued them together with the UV hardening glue. Don't do this! the UV hardening glue becomes cloudy when UV hits it so in the sun the screen became fairly cloudy thanks to the UV glue between the two screen protectors.

3 bucks and 2 weeks later I am back in business!

MP3_player_screenprotector_comparison.png

I'd say this is finally an adequate replacement for the Sansa Clip+ with rockbox. Might get a 2nd one as a spare!

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2017 at 11:37 PM Post #2,054 of 2,617
I'm not sure if it will keep everything automatically synced, but I've never used that feature--I always sync manually because I don't trust the software to do it right. :wink: I think MediaMonkey will sync music by playlist? It's been years since I even tried MediaMonkey, so I honestly couldn't say.

The way Rockbox behaves, there's no easy way to randomize everything on the player, no matter which player you use. There are two ways to do it, though:

Method 1: Database. If you initialize the Rockbox database, it will inventory everything on the player (both cards, as far as I know) and keep a database of all the music on the player, similar to how the iPod does it. That way you can search music by artist, album, song title, genre, etc. without navigating a PC-style file tree. To randomize everything, simply navigate to songs and add them to the current playlist. Change the play mode to Shuffle and you're good. The problem with initializing the Database is that is slows down the player. When you power on, Rockbox does a quick database check, which can slow the boot time down by 10-20 seconds, depending on how much it has to do. If ind the player is far more responsive without the Database.

Method 2: Make a playlist. In Foobar2000, I just add all the music folders to one playlist and save it (Foobar2000 always defaults to its native Playlist format, .fpl, so you'll have to change it to .m3u or .m3u8 and save). The Big Trick with this method, though, is that Foobar uses the drive letter to specify where the files are, so you need to change that, and this is where things get sticky. Once your playlist is saved, open it in a text editor (Windows Notepad works fine). Then you have to Find/Replace the drive letter for each card.

Let's assume your Slot 1 card is drive D: and your Slot 2 card is drive E:. Rockbox looks for Playlists in a folder called Playlists (I know, weird) in the root of the Slot 1 card. Since Rockbox doesn't use the Windows drive letters (D: and E:) it has no idea where to find your files as listed in the playlist. Drive D: is easy to fix. Find all instances of D: and get rid of it so your entries in the playlist look something like "/Arcade High/Heat Wave EP/04 Coastline.mp3". Slot 2 is a little different. Rockbox calls that one <microSD1>. That means you'll have to do another Find/Replace and change every E: to <microSD1> so the music on the Slot 2 card is referred to as "/<microSD1>/Arcade High/Heat Wave EP/04 Coastline.mp3". For our purposes, the slash "/" tells it to back out to the root directory and start looking for the file folders there. So for Slot 2, the line reads: back out to the root directory, then go to <microSD1>, then the Arcade High folder, then the Head Wave EP folder, then the 04 Coastline.mp3 file.

Clear as mud.

The payoff for me is that it's relatively easy to build a playlist on the player itself. Navigate to the folder or song you'd like to add and long-press the Play button. You'll get the Playlist menu where you can add the folder/song to the current playlist in order or shuffled. Once you're done, saving the playlist is a bit of a chore, but that's mostly due to the odd button mapping that has to happen on the X3. Easiest: randomize everything on <microSD1> by highlighting it, long-pressing Play, and selecting Current Playlist, then Insert Shuffled. I usually keep my Various Artists compilations on that card for easy shuffle.

Oof, this was a long one. Sorry about that.

Hey I appreciate it my friend. Wow...that is fairly complicated. I'm still waiting on the device, It'll probably make more sense once I start getting into it. You definitely know your stuff. Very grateful for all the tips. So it sl
Correct.

The modified X3 firmware update from XVortex's page as well as the entire .rockbox folder should be in the root of the card in Slot 1. It helps if the card itself is 16GB or less, formatted to FAT32 (they usually are already). It doesn't matter how the files got there. Update the X3 via its built-in method, and when it boots, the Rockbox OS is entirely run out of that .rockbox folder at the root of the card. You can delete the firmware update, but never the .rockbox folder, and if you swap out the card in Slot 1 with a different card, make sure to copy the entire .rockbox folder to the new card first.

ok, so the os is not booted off of the internal memory? But it runs better off of a 16gb or less card?? I was planning to use two 128gb cards...hmmm...so is that not recommended??

Dec 9, 2017 at 11:52 PM Post #2,055 of 2,617
Hey I appreciate it my friend. Wow...that is fairly complicated. I'm still waiting on the device, It'll probably make more sense once I start getting into it. You definitely know your stuff. Very grateful for all the tips. So it sl

ok, so the os is not booted off of the internal memory? But it runs better off of a 16gb or less card?? I was planning to use two 128gb cards...hmmm...so is that not recommended??

I think he meant that a small card is best for the initial installation stage, probably because the code it uses is old and gets confused by big cards. In fact, I'm pretty certain I read about that in one of these X3 threads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back