Rockbox Xduoo X3
Dec 19, 2017 at 7:27 AM Post #2,101 of 2,617
… And before someone ask why I use a stock firmware X3, is because I have plenty of cards that are not FAT32 formatted and I frequently change cards between different players.
I won't ask that but I see you have a Benjie S5, presumably one of the different players you're switching cards in, and you mentioned not FAT32 formatted. One of the drawbacks of those really cheap players like the S5 is that it plays files in timestamp order. So you have to use a program like Drivesort. But I thought that program only works on FAT32 formatted drives. Or do you not worry about the order songs from an album get played or have another way to sort files that works on other formats like exFAT (I think that's the factory format for > 32 GB cards)?

Dec 19, 2017 at 7:34 AM Post #2,102 of 2,617
I won't ask that but I see you have a Benjie S5, presumably one of the different players you're switching cards in, and you mentioned not FAT32 formatted. One of the drawbacks of those really cheap players like the S5 is that it plays files in timestamp order. So you have to use a program like Drivesort. But I thought that program only works on FAT32 formatted drives. Or do you not worry about the order songs from an album get played or have another way to sort files that works on other formats like exFAT (I think that's the factory format for > 32 GB cards)?

Exfat kicks in above 32 gig. Up to that point all the 'correct' formatters do it as fat32.

I'm keen to find a fat sorter that works with exfat, if anyone knows of one. I'm using MS Windows ( XP ).

Dec 19, 2017 at 8:20 AM Post #2,103 of 2,617
Wow thanks man! The RB X3 seems like the best for navigation. One question: on a pain in the ass scale of 1 to 10 (10 being the most painful), how do u rate the navigation of the S5 once u have tried the RB X3?

I always do folder browsing on all my DAPs, mainly because It's a pain to tag files to work both for scrobbeling and showing up properly in the DAPs, i.e. Ronnie James Dio's Rainbow and Korean Kpop act Rainbow.
Folder browsing on a Xduoo X3 that is not Rockboxed is almost as painful as on the S5. Folder browsing is as simple on the Rockboxed Xduoo X3 as on the FiiO X3II.
I use the BENJIE S5 and RUIZU X02 mainly for situations when I don't want to use one of the other DAPs, for instance in bed while sleepy and I don't want to break anything precious by mistake. So I'll just browse to the album I want to listen to and then let the player play.

I must honestly say that I have not noticed this problem. I might have been lucky. I sort/name my files on the cards like:
Genre -> Artist -> Album -> "xx. song title.suffix"

I tested the Benji right now with one of my 128 GB cards and it played the songs in the correct order from the album, so I don't know...

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #2,104 of 2,617
Hmm idk abt the formats of the SD cards, however i might be fine without switching as having 32GB of 320kbps MP3 suffice for me. Well that's also partially due to not having enough space to put in hi-res formats into the card xD

Either ways i have ordered 2 x 64gb SD together with the X3 so 128gb? Omg that's a ****ing dream, at least for me o.o

Dec 21, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #2,105 of 2,617
Hmm idk abt the formats of the SD cards, however i might be fine without switching as having 32GB of 320kbps MP3 suffice for me. Well that's also partially due to not having enough space to put in hi-res formats into the card xD

Either ways i have ordered 2 x 64gb SD together with the X3 so 128gb? Omg that's a ****ing dream, at least for me o.o

at least for now...
there's always the push for more, bigger better. I started with 1 32gb and 1 64gb card, now dual 128gb cards and wanting to upgrade that to 2x256gb, expensive but what a library to carry around.
1 tb of data? figure in year or so that should be fairly affordable...

Dec 21, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #2,106 of 2,617
at least for now...
there's always the push for more, bigger better. I started with 1 32gb and 1 64gb card, now dual 128gb cards and wanting to upgrade that to 2x256gb, expensive but what a library to carry around.
1 tb of data? figure in year or so that should be fairly affordable...
2x256gb mate o.O Wow, my hdd is only 400gb xD havent upgraded my hdd in a long while

Dec 21, 2017 at 6:42 PM Post #2,108 of 2,617
Like since 2002:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Get a 128gb and fill it with flac. You'll love it and maybe later an amp.
tried flac and wav for a short while but my ears couldnt tell the difference between them and 320 mp3 :frowning2: now i just keep the raws on my desktop and convert them for my portable source. Amp i just use the walnut though its not as powerful and clean, it does the job with the gears i have

Dec 24, 2017 at 9:08 PM Post #2,109 of 2,617
Got the X3 and i guess there is some issues with the charging indicator. Charged it overnight and it was showing still charging, so i just rockboxed it and voila, here i am on Xmas enjoying this little thing. I can only say what was i thinking last year when i got the Zishan DSD over this. The UI after rockboxing is unreal, its so easy to navigate around. Reminds me of my stock Sansa Fuze BUT with additional power to drive my earphones. The energy it gives to tracks is similar to the Zishan sisters and packs more juice than the Benjie S5 for sure.

Am still playing ard with the settings and played around with the theme as @Slater and @springbay suggested, omg loving it ttm. Love the shortcut keys when on the "Now playing screen" too. Navigation? I think S5 will probably not see much usage after this piece of black magic.

Perfect timing for it to arrive as my GF is out of town, and its focking public holiday! No lonely Xmas for myself!!

Dec 25, 2017 at 12:29 AM Post #2,110 of 2,617
Got the X3 and i guess there is some issues with the charging indicator. Charged it overnight and it was showing still charging, so i just rockboxed it and voila, here i am on Xmas enjoying this little thing. I can only say what was i thinking last year when i got the Zishan DSD over this. The UI after rockboxing is unreal, its so easy to navigate around. Reminds me of my stock Sansa Fuze BUT with additional power to drive my earphones. The energy it gives to tracks is similar to the Zishan sisters and packs more juice than the Benjie S5 for sure.

Am still playing ard with the settings and played around with the theme as @Slater and @springbay suggested, omg loving it ttm. Love the shortcut keys when on the "Now playing screen" too. Navigation? I think S5 will probably not see much usage after this piece of black magic.

Perfect timing for it to arrive as my GF is out of town, and its focking public holiday! No lonely Xmas for myself!!

Sometimes my charging indicator can act a little odd. It still charges though.

I stopped worrying about it and it hasn't ever been an issue. When the battery is low and it needs to be charged, I put it on the charger overnight (ignoring what the charge indicator is doing), and it's always perfectly fine the next morning.

Glad you're liking the themes buddy. They really do make the X3 much more usable!

Dec 25, 2017 at 2:06 AM Post #2,111 of 2,617
Sometimes my charging indicator can act a little odd. It still charges though.

I stopped worrying about it and it hasn't ever been an issue. When the battery is low and it needs to be charged, I put it on the charger overnight (ignoring what the charge indicator is doing), and it's always perfectly fine the next morning.

Glad you're liking the themes buddy. They really do make the X3 much more usable!
Yea! This is probably the best bang for buck DAP one can get after rockboxing and visual adjustments. Santa was nice to me this year hohoho!

Dec 25, 2017 at 8:39 AM Post #2,112 of 2,617
Spent ard 5hrs with the X3 today cycling and stuff. I must say the navigation is really great, however one issue is that when i go to the settings screen, when the screen fades, when i push any buttons, i dont get to the now playing screen. It doesnt really matter though. And the random feature is pretty odd as it shuffles the current and overwrites the current playlist and plays it in the new sequence lol.

But i just no complains with those minor issues as the added functions, the themes, the EQ (though i am not an EQ person), the customisable fonts, scroll speed, boy, i must admit i will be a huge advocate of this player from now on.

Dec 25, 2017 at 9:28 AM Post #2,113 of 2,617
Spent ard 5hrs with the X3 today cycling and stuff. I must say the navigation is really great, however one issue is that when i go to the settings screen, when the screen fades, when i push any buttons, i dont get to the now playing screen…
The center-ish button, the one marked option, will bring up a quick menu type of thing which includes the currently playing song when using RockBox.

Dec 25, 2017 at 9:42 AM Post #2,114 of 2,617
The center-ish button, the one marked option, will bring up a quick menu type of thing which includes the currently playing song when using RockBox.
Thanks! OMG i tried to long hold the home button and the option button but didnt single tap it -.-

Dec 25, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #2,115 of 2,617
Spent ard 5hrs with the X3 today cycling and stuff. I must say the navigation is really great, however one issue is that when i go to the settings screen, when the screen fades, when i push any buttons, i dont get to the now playing screen.

Pretty sure that's a setting that can be tweaked.

Also, when you say the screen fades, do you mean actually gradually "fading out"? Or just the screen going dark as flipping a light switch?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back