Rockbox Xduoo X3
Jan 24, 2018 at 11:05 AM Post #2,131 of 2,617
I am having a issue of not being able to dual boot has anyone figured that one out? I put the firmware on loads up rockbox no issues when I try to do the poweron lock trick it just stays black screen till I hit the reset button. Never see the old logo anymore. If I take the rockbox out and try same issues, when I let it boot normally I get the partition error missing.

Jan 24, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #2,132 of 2,617
I am having a issue of not being able to dual boot has anyone figured that one out? I put the firmware on loads up rockbox no issues when I try to do the poweron lock trick it just stays black screen till I hit the reset button. Never see the old logo anymore. If I take the rockbox out and try same issues, when I let it boot normally I get the partition error missing.
Try reinstalling RB.

Jan 24, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #2,133 of 2,617
It should take a few minutes to reinstall Rockbox on X3

Jan 24, 2018 at 11:58 AM Post #2,134 of 2,617
Try reinstalling RB.

I would have to do this the manual way I assume then? As well would i have to run a virtual machine with windows 7 to do this as the instruction dont say windows 10.

Just to be clear as well the partition error was only when I attempted to boot to rockbox without the sdcard in. I also tried the lock trick without the sd card in no go.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2018 at 1:15 PM Post #2,135 of 2,617
I would have to do this the manual way I assume then? As well would i have to run a virtual machine with windows 7 to do this as the instruction dont say windows 10.

Just to be clear as well the partition error was only when I attempted to boot to rockbox without the sdcard in. I also tried the lock trick without the sd card in no go.

SD card is required for Rockbox, that's where the firmware is, it won't work without one.

Jan 25, 2018 at 12:18 AM Post #2,137 of 2,617
What in the world?? What is wrong with the screen on the xduoo??

I took off the original film (huge mistake since the ones included are horrriiiiiblllllee), and wiped it down with one of those alcohol wipes and a glass lens cleaner, and it somehow scratched up the entire screen.

Jan 25, 2018 at 12:41 AM Post #2,138 of 2,617
Jan 25, 2018 at 2:04 AM Post #2,139 of 2,617
That mod looks amazing

Too bad I have no faith in my DIY abilities.... Perhaps it would make for a nice little project for when I have free time and feel adventurous.

I ended up cutting out a makeshift screen protector out of a plastic iphone 6 screen protector. Can't even see the scratches under no matter how hard I try (even under a light). The thought the screen is scuffed up annoys me though

Jan 25, 2018 at 5:31 PM Post #2,140 of 2,617
I changed out the screen cover on my X3 this weekend with positive results. I now have no issues reading the screen outdoors. I can't take credit for this mod however, as I've seen someone else do this on HF 1st. That individual didn't use the same materials as I did though, but the net result was the same.

I used a replacement top screen cover (NOT screen protector FILM) designed for a Nintendo DS Lite (I had a used one laying around from a previous DS Lite repair). It was about the right thickness, is made from shatter-proof and scratch-resistant plastic (probably polycarbonate), and cut easily with scissors.

Here's a example of the product: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZedLabz-rep...for-Nintendo-DS-Lite-NDSL-Black-/291678096912

You can find them on ebay (and probably aliexpress) of you search for 'plastic screen cover Nintendo DS Lite' or 'plastic lens Nintendo DS Lite'. Although they are getting harder to find as the DS is quite old now, many other things would work equally as well - 1/32" polycarbonate sheet, an outer screen cover from some Blackberry phone models (like the Curve for example), etc.

I would NOT use brittle plastic, like from a CD jewel case, as that plastic scratches easily and cracks/shatters even easier. I would also not use plastic that is too thin, like the plastic used for retail 'clamshell' or 'blister' packages that many toys and items comes inside, because it won't protect the screen from pressure/cracking. Examples of what NOT to use:

Anyways, once you have obtained a suitable screen cover, you just insert the edge of a disposable razor blade into the LONG edge of the X3 screen cover, and PRY it using the X3's aluminum for leverage. The prying action is like what you would do when using a crowbar or removing a nail with the claw end of a hammer. You can also pre-warm the cover by gently heating the area with a hair dryer set on low (you won't damage the X3, but it will soften the adhesive & make it much easier to remove).

My screen cover came out with no damage to the cover or the X3.

There will be some adhesive residue left from the stock screen cover's double-sided tape. Clean off the residue using some Q-tips (cotton swabs) dampened with a drop of Goo Gone, Goof Off, Acetone, or nail polish remover (being extra careful not to drip any onto the OLED screen or down into anything electronic).

Cutting the new cover is easy. I laid the stock cover on top of the Nintendo cover, and cut along the edges of the Nintendo cover with sharp scissors using the stock cover as a guide. Make sure to round the corners like the stock screen, and test fit.

Once I was happy with the fitment, I glued the clear screen cover in place with a few drops of UV-activated epoxy (you can also use traditional epoxy). Do NOT use super glue, because it will release vapors as it cures that will leave a white film on the inside of the cover and actual screen.

I could have left it like this, but I went one step further and replicated the black surround of the stock screen by trimming a scrap of flat black vinyl sign-graphic material using an xacto knife. Just peel and stick the trimmed piece of vinyl onto the outside of the clear screen cover and you're done. You can certainly omit this step and it won't affect anything. You'll just be able to see your drops of glue, as well as some of the circuit board through the new clear lens. The vinyl trim just gives it a little more professional 'factory-finished' look. Whether or not you do it is up to you.

Here's the final result with vinyl trim piece:

Don't worry if you mess up somehow (the cutting or gluing), because the Nintendo screen cover is large enough to make (2) X3 screen covers with some room left over.

Now, what kind of difference does it make with the stock smoked vs new clear cover? You be the judge:

The comparison photos were taken indoors with manual F-Stop and aperture settings (so there was consistent exposure from photo to photo, and no interference with the camera's automatic settings). There was no retouching of the photos at all.

I've already tested this outdoors. On the brightest setting, the screen is very readable in everything but the most intense direct sunlight (like at the beach at noon on a sunny day with no clouds). As we all know, with the stock screen cover on the brightest setting, the screen is not readable at all (except in the shade, when it is BARELY readable).

The new clear cover is still a little hard to read outdoors when wearing really dark sunglasses, but that's true of any phone/laptop/MP3 screen (with the stock cover the screen could not be read at all while wearing sunglasses).

Seeing how in the comparison photo, the stock screen cover at the MAXIMUM brightness (16) is THE SAME BRIGHTNESS as the clear screen cover at the MINIMUM brightness (1), you'll start to get an idea of just how effective this mod is. If I had to estimate, I would say that the clear screen cover increases the effective brightness by at least 50%.

Another advantage of the mod is that because the screen cover is clear, you can turn down the screen brightness (especially indoors). This increases the battery life!

Total time from start to finish was 20 minutes (15 if you don't do the vinyl trim). Total cost is $3 for the Nintendo cover, plus free ($0) for a small 2" scrap piece of vinyl at any sign/graphics shop (or you could buy a larger piece on ebay for ~$1).

Enjoy,
- Slater

Hey, this a great post...my question being, I just recently got one of these little devices and as I'm sure you know it comes with a couple of screen protectors...I'm assuming that they aren't really adequate? I haven't even taken off the little film on it yet, so it's still pristine condition...is this little mod that you've worked up that much better for it in the long run? Thanks again. Drew

Jan 25, 2018 at 7:59 PM Post #2,141 of 2,617
Hey, this a great post...my question being, I just recently got one of these little devices and as I'm sure you know it comes with a couple of screen protectors...I'm assuming that they aren't really adequate? I haven't even taken off the little film on it yet, so it's still pristine condition...is this little mod that you've worked up that much better for it in the long run? Thanks again. Drew

I would recommend keeping the original screen protector on for as long as possible. The replacements are absolute garbage.

I 100% regret taking the one it came with off.

Slaters mod is to change the screen itself, not the screen protector. If you have trouble reading the screen outside, the mod will definitely help in the long run

Jan 25, 2018 at 8:50 PM Post #2,142 of 2,617

The mod I posted is better because the stock screen is very dark smokey plastic, like dark sunglasses. This makes it impossible to read in daylight outdoors, and you also have to crank up the brightness which eats up the battery. The clear screen isn't a protector - it completely replaces the stock smoked screen. The result is that it's easy to read outdoors (even in direct sunlight), and you can turn down the brightness, extending battery life.

Jan 26, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #2,143 of 2,617
The mod I posted is better because the stock screen is very dark smokey plastic, like dark sunglasses. This makes it impossible to read in daylight outdoors, and you also have to crank up the brightness which eats up the battery. The clear screen isn't a protector - it completely replaces the stock smoked screen. The result is that it's easy to read outdoors (even in direct sunlight), and you can turn down the brightness, extending battery life.
oohh...of course..sorry I'm an idiot...I totally get it now...you popped out the original screen and have replaced the whole thing....So it makes that much of a difference outdoors aye? I haven't taken it outside yet so didn't know that was a problem...Do you put a screen protector on your mod? Thanks for the reply. Andrew

Jan 26, 2018 at 6:25 PM Post #2,144 of 2,617
I would recommend keeping the original screen protector on for as long as possible. The replacements are absolute garbage.

I 100% regret taking the one it came with off.

Slaters mod is to change the screen itself, not the screen protector. If you have trouble reading the screen outside, the mod will definitely help in the long run
hah...garbage huh? They're that bad?? Wow...I've gotten that general impression and sounds like good advice...Have you done this mod on yours? Thanks for the reply you've all been really helpful.
Andrew

Jan 26, 2018 at 8:24 PM Post #2,145 of 2,617
oohh...of course..sorry I'm an idiot...I totally get it now...you popped out the original screen and have replaced the whole thing....So it makes that much of a difference outdoors aye? I haven't taken it outside yet so didn't know that was a problem...Do you put a screen protector on your mod? Thanks for the reply. Andrew

Correct - from a side view, the stock X3 is like a sandwich:

screen protector film -> smoked/tinted screen cover -> OLED digital screen

With the clear screen cover mod, it becomes like this sandwich:

clear Nintendo screen cover -> OLED digital screen

No screen protector is necessary, as the clear cover used IS scratch resistant - it's the clear screen used on a Nintendo DS. If you know anything about the DS, it comes with a little plastic pen that you draw and move across the screen to play games (some games you go berzerk on the screen with the pen, going back and forth quickly to fight a boss or do some other action in a game). So the plastic Nintendo used is polycarbonate (the same thing used in racing car windshields and eyeglasses due to it's strength and scratch resistance).

Note I said scratch resistance, not scratch proof - it's not like it's gorilla glass or anything. If you rub it on pavement or sandpaper or with car keys, it would scratch the clear Nintendo plastic cover. But polycarbonate is a far cry from the super soft plastic xduoo used on the stock smoked/tinted screen cover (which is why they pre-applied a screen protector LOL).

Also, be aware that you can polish ANY plastic, including the stock smoked/tinted cover or the clear Nintendo cover. All you need is a bottle of plastic polish and a soft cloth or old tshirt. You can get plastic polish liquid at any auto parts store or order it on Amazon etc for a few dollars. It's made for polishing plastic such as headlight lenses and plastic watch crystals and whatnot. You only need a single drop to polish the X3 screen (the least amount possible).

Now, that's not to say that you couldn't ALSO use a screen protector on top of my clear screen mod. You can certainly do that. If you go to any dollar store (or ebay, etc) you can buy sheets of peel and stick screen protection film for cell phones and tablets. You would just cut it to fit and apply it on top of the clear screen mod. If you choose to do that, you end up with this sandwich from a side view:

screen protector film -> clear Nintendo screen cover -> OLED digital screen

Make sense?

As far as how effective it is, yes you can easily see the screen in direct sunlight with the clear Nintendo screen cover. You can't see it at all with the stock smoked/tinted screen cover.

Here's a photo showing the difference (stock smoked/tinted cover is on the left, clear cover is on the right at the same brightness level):

It's hard to tell from the "full brightness" photo of the clear cover (ie bottom left photo), but it's ridiculously bright. So bright that the camera does some magic so it doesn't blow out the photo. It's so bright that I don't even keep the brightness on full. I keep it about 75% of the max, and I can still see it outside just fine (indoors I can turn it down to 10% brightness with the clear screen cover and see it perfectly fine). With the stock smoked/tinted cover, I couldn't see it outside even on 100% full brightness! So it's a huge difference.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back