Rockbox Xduoo X3
Nov 19, 2016 at 8:01 AM Post #1,051 of 2,617
Upsampling is a bit of a crock, although there may be good reasons for trying it with certain reproduction equipment, related to how the hardware handles the data.

I think of upsampling as being like a high definition ( plate camera ) photograph of a 3x5 instamatic print. Technically it's a very high quality image, but of a low quality picture.

My original intentuin a while back was to test the pitch issue on XDuuo original fw... which is obvious with the same song at 44.1Khz and 48KHz.

Then I retain the files just for the sake of curiousity time to time...

Ideally, handled properly, the original 16/44.1 would sound the same with 24/48 or 24/96... because they came from the same source...

Nov 19, 2016 at 8:01 AM Post #1,052 of 2,617
  I'm sick of Xduoo surprises. The X2 I've had for a week constantly freezes with any type of music file and Aliexpress (newfrogdotcom) only wants to give me a credit. Now I hear the X3 is a bit of a flee bitten dog as well......clock lag timing, no hi res with RockBox etc. etc.
Enough of this crap.
I ordered a Lotoo Paw 5000 and will be refusing the X3 parcel when it arrives. The X2 can kiss my heels as well.
Yeesh, what a ride.

XDuoo and RockBox are not at all the same thing.

XDuoo is a company providing here a budget audiophile digital audio player, with all it takes, from buttons, processors, to firmware.

RockBox team is a bunch of guys who were very disappointed by the firmware on their MP3 players, in the early 2000, and used their skills to make an alternative firmware suitting better their expectations. For example, playing hi res music files on devices which has no hardware capabilities of it, using software magic to do it.

The RockBox team is working on a port to XDuoo X3 since december 2015, no release yet. Someone did a port, that should be taken "as is".

It's not fair to blame XDuoo for how RockBox works on it. Nor to blame RockBox for a port they didn't even did.

And being low budget, the X3 has to have some compromises on quality.

The good new is you can but better DAP, by spending more. You can improve RockBox by joining their team and giving your time. Everyone will be thankful.

Or maybe you can wait. A company says working on a budget DAP conceived for RockBox, the hardware part being done, and a quality DAP is the next step. Who knows what will come out ?...
http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php/topic,51071.0.html?PHPSESSID=rjnkq8rb368ur0beqpk9j4vsi7

Thezac.

Nov 19, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #1,053 of 2,617
In your experience, provided you work with the same master, would there be hearable difference between 16 bit file and 24 bit file?

Sure if you have super high dynamic range source material.  Over ~100dB and you'll start to hear a bit of hiss with 16 bit.  If you don't have music like that, it won't help.  

I know, that this bit depth is not the only factor... R2R DAC would be much less affected by the bit depth of the source.. while most delta sigma DAC would perform better with higher bit and higher sampling rate....

The type of DAC doesn't change anything.  If a device can really do 18 bits for example, it doesn't matter how it gets there.  That assumes it really can do 18 bits though.  Plenty of companies will sell you devices that accept 24 bit audio, throw away 10 bits and play back 14 bits worth of dynamic range. Its pretty easy to get to 18 bits out of a delta sigma, so you tend to see those used more for higher dynamic range applications.  

I personally ever test this: I have a 16 bit/44KHz. I upsample it to 16bit/48KHz, 24bit/48Khz and 24 bit/96KHz..
Played on the same X3.. they sounded a little bit difference, not better or worse, just bit different...

Rather than listen, I'd record it on a good sound card.  Lots of differences are easy to spot if you plot the waveforms side by side but you won't necessarily hear them (small pitch errors for example).  

And they sounded different with default X3 firmware or with Rockbox. So definitely the bit depth and sampling frequency affect the software processing or the hardware in this case.

I picked a cubic hermite resampler for rockbox because its a good trade off between battery life and transparency, but it won't be perfectly transparent.  If you compare 48k and 48->96->48k in rockbox, it will probably sound a little different.  That doesn't have anything to do with bit depth or sampling frequency in general, just that I haven't gotten around to writing a higher power resampler and making it configurable yet.  

Nov 19, 2016 at 9:09 PM Post #1,054 of 2,617

XDuoo and RockBox are not at all the same thing.

XDuoo is a company providing here a budget audiophile digital audio player, with all it takes, from buttons, processors, to firmware.

RockBox team is a bunch of guys who were very disappointed by the firmware on their MP3 players, in the early 2000, and used their skills to make an alternative firmware suitting better their expectations. For example, playing hi res music files on devices which has no hardware capabilities of it, using software magic to do it.

The RockBox team is working on a port to XDuoo X3 since december 2015, no release yet. Someone did a port, that should be taken "as is".

It's not fair to blame XDuoo for how RockBox works on it. Nor to blame RockBox for a port they didn't even did.

And being low budget, the X3 has to have some compromises on quality.

The good new is you can but better DAP, by spending more. You can improve RockBox by joining their team and giving your time. Everyone will be thankful.

Or maybe you can wait. A company says working on a budget DAP conceived for RockBox, the hardware part being done, and a quality DAP is the next step. Who knows what will come out ?...
http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php/topic,51071.0.html?PHPSESSID=rjnkq8rb368ur0beqpk9j4vsi7

Thezac.

RockBox is quality, Xduoo firmware is not. That's the point.

Nov 20, 2016 at 3:07 AM Post #1,055 of 2,617
After hours of listening and comparing. I decided to switch back to stock firmware. I find it more airy and detailed (using sennheiser momentum). RB is giving me a slight fatigue. Gapless is not a big issue for me as well as the pitch error since I barely noticed it on some files.

Nov 20, 2016 at 10:24 AM Post #1,056 of 2,617
  Upsampling is a bit of a crock, although there may be good reasons for trying it with certain reproduction equipment, related to how the hardware handles the data.

I think of upsampling as being like a high definition ( plate camera ) photograph of a 3x5 instamatic print. Technically it's a very high quality image, but of a low quality picture.

I don't upsample on the fly.... I used external program (forgot what it is... did it many months ago...) and create different FLAC files...
As mentioned above... I don't have any intention to create higher definition file... I did it to test the pitch issue on X3...

Nov 20, 2016 at 7:26 PM Post #1,057 of 2,617
After hours of listening and comparing. I decided to switch back to stock firmware. I find it more airy and detailed (using sennheiser momentum). RB is giving me a slight fatigue. Gapless is not a big issue for me as well as the pitch error since I barely noticed it on some files.

Yeah. I swith to stock and i liked the sound. I found that RB its darker and slighly less detailed.

Nov 22, 2016 at 1:45 AM Post #1,059 of 2,617
Well, Tomtop keeps avoiding warranty return.  I emailed Xduoo themselves and they said "permanent warranty".  No response when I asked them to process a warranty claim.  So you have both the retailer and the product company both avoiding any responsibility of warranty. 

To those considering purchasing one of these, just realize that you are getting a product with no warranty. 

Nov 22, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #1,060 of 2,617
  Well, Tomtop keeps avoiding warranty return.  I emailed Xduoo themselves and they said "permanent warranty".  No response when I asked them to process a warranty claim.  So you have both the retailer and the product company both avoiding any responsibility of warranty. 

To those considering purchasing one of these, just realize that you are getting a product with no warranty. 

Xduoo seems to be running a double identity, one aspect is all about how great the units are, and the other is when you need help we don't exist. Based on my own experience it appears very much a bottom end operation.

Nov 23, 2016 at 6:49 AM Post #1,061 of 2,617
I Have got my xduoo recently and installed rockbox. On the first boot, got some DB finalization error. Tried the installation for the second time with Lock switch on. Screen showed as installing and did not respond back for 15 minutes.
I reset the Xduoo and then tried to switch on. I got the same error.
Then connected to PC once and removed it .
Fortunately, it worked fine. :) . Now My xduoo has rockbox.  

Now some questions.
1. Is there a way I can disable the backlight on Next, previous, Volume buttons.
2. Can we disable every other button on Lock, except volume, previous and next
3. Is there a way to listen to songs while charging through wall charger
4. The battery life is very very bad. ( I used Cowon D2 and sansa clip+ with rockbox earlier). Did any one tried modding/replacing the battery with a better one. How about a mod to a power bank?

Nov 23, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #1,062 of 2,617
i did have rockbox working fine on my x3

but picked it up today and just keep getting the following:

*panic*
TLB refill handler at 0x800007E4! [0xDEADBEEF]

have tried various sdcards in both slots but still the same

if i boot to stock firmware it works fine

what can i do please?

thanks

Nov 23, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #1,063 of 2,617
i did have rockbox working fine on my x3

but picked it up today and just keep getting the following:

*panic*

TLB refill handler at 0x800007E4! [0xDEADBEEF]

have tried various sdcards in both slots but still the same

if i boot to stock firmware it works fine

what can i do please?

thanks

See post #938 on page 63... I would copy link for you but am on tablet at the moment... Worked for me and others

Nov 23, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #1,064 of 2,617
hi, thanks for the reply,

i just read that post. not sure it would have worked as i simply couldn't get into rockbox at all to make the change mentioned

no matter though, i downloaded the latest rockbox zip to the sdcard and reflashed the update.zip again from the stock firmware and it's all working ok again now (just copying the .rockbox folder on it's own didn't work)

Nov 23, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #1,065 of 2,617
  hi, thanks for the reply,

i just read that post. not sure it would have worked as i simply couldn't get into rockbox at all to make the change mentioned

no matter though, i downloaded the latest rockbox zip to the sdcard and reflashed the update.zip again from the stock firmware and it's all working ok again now (just copying the .rockbox folder on it's own didn't work)

While you have it working you probably should make that change.... it won't hurt anything and will prevent any future panic error... I think the cache just gets too full after awhile.  If someone wants to explain the technicalities that would be helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back