Rockbox Xduoo X3
Nov 18, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #1,022 of 2,617

Let me get this straight. The stock X3 plays slow but handles 24/96 files. RockBox plays in real time but is limted to 16/48 and cannot playback 24/96 files.
Is this correct? Because if it is I'm going to refuse delivery of my X3.....due any day.

If true, is there some liklihood RockBox firmware will be updated to handle 24/96 files?

Not exactly.

Rockbox plays back 24/96 files, they're just resampled to 44.1/48k and 16 bit.

The hardware itself has about 18-19 bits output range at 0 dB volume, but there is no analog volume control. So you lose 1 bit dynamic range for every 6 dB volume adjustment.  In practice you won't get even 16 bits from either firmware except at or near line level.  

Nov 18, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #1,023 of 2,617
Yes, too much information floating around to find all the facts up front. It might be helpful if the various X3 reviewers amended their reports to reflect the fact this is a hobbled model. My point is that Xduoo snuck this one into the market without being up front on its obvious failings, not a great way to build a customer base.

If I wanted something less than audiophile I wouldn't have looked at the X3 to begin with. For point of reference, the X2 was reported t have very good sound, I find it crappy and that does not instill my faith in the X3. Time for me to move on. I'm officially ex duo.

Enjoy life... :)

Nov 18, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #1,024 of 2,617
Thank you, im getting towards comprehension now.

But in terms of the process bit depth etc comes before the final flac/whatever ripping method?

Because obviously mastering is done in studio and ,to an extent, isnt an issue for me as the end listener.  Am i correct in saying that a very skilled/analytical listener would struggle to hear the difference between 16bit and 24 bit (all other variables being equal)

I would not dare to say they would not... some people born with discerning ears...

But, if some very experienced reviewer (thus listener) here could not hear the difference between >256Kbps loosy mp3 files vs flac... This say something right...

Nov 18, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #1,025 of 2,617
Not exactly.

The hardware itself has about 18-19 bits output range at 0 dB volume, but there is no analog volume control. So you lose 1 bit dynamic range for every 6 dB volume adjustment.  In practice you won't get even 16 bits from either firmware except at or near line level.  

Hmm... Do you think that analog volume control doesn't downgrade the sound? :wink:
Think this way.. there's 10cent potentiometer, there's $500 one too...

Nov 18, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #1,026 of 2,617
Hmm... Do you think that analog volume control doesn't downgrade the sound?
wink.gif

Think this way.. there's 10cent potentiometer, there's $500 one too...

Most MP3 players don't have potentiometers.  Volume control is implemented using a programmable gain amplifier integrated into the DAC chip.  

Nov 18, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #1,028 of 2,617

Most MP3 players don't have potentiometers.  Volume control is implemented using a programmable gain amplifier integrated into the DAC chip.  

ah I see... got your point... you are referring to X3... :)

sorry... misunderstood because you are referring to "analog volume control"..., which I believe also has it's limit...

yes... CS8398 don't have built-in volume control like some ESS or AKM DAC... so must be handled by the software...

Nov 18, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #1,029 of 2,617
  Yup. And to you as well, I'm glad your Xduoo experience trumps mine.

To be fair... you have the right point that XDuuo need to do better...

I'm just trying to say that rockboxed X3 sounds good, regardless of Rockbox limitation...
And at their price point, nothing come close to rockboxed X3...

But you know what... they don't get my money on X10. :) .. I already use it to order other brand... :)

Nov 18, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #1,030 of 2,617
I would not dare to say they would not... some people born with discerning ears...

But, if some very experienced reviewer (thus listener) here could not hear the difference between >256Kbps loosy mp3 files vs flac... This say something right...

Most people perhaps would not, unless you've heard true master quality, at which point you will always know the difference and then every little bit of resolution change becomes more meaningful. I don't consider myself an audiophile by any measure, but I have worked in enough recording studios to know what master quality is about. I know that sound signature.
To my lingering frustration I am trying to get near that level with current dap offerings and it has been a less than inspiring experience thus far, but I will get there.

Nov 18, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #1,031 of 2,617

Not exactly.

I love hearing the scientific facts, there is nothing puts things so quickly in perspective. Thank you saratoga.

Nov 18, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #1,032 of 2,617

To be fair... you have the right point that XDuuo need to do better...

I'm just trying to say that rockboxed X3 sounds good, regardless of Rockbox limitation...
And at their price point, nothing come close to rockboxed X3...

But you know what... they don't get my money on X10. :) .. I already use it to order other brand... :)

Right, given their business policy towards their customer base, a migration away from Xduoo seems a wise move at this point. Unless of course you are happy living with the shortcomings the company seems satisfied in selling. Each to their own.

Willing to share details on your new purchase?

Nov 18, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #1,034 of 2,617
Most people perhaps would not, unless you've heard true master quality, at which point you will always know the difference and then every little bit of resolution change becomes more meaningful. I don't consider myself an audiophile by any measure, but I have worked in enough recording studios to know what master quality is about. I know that sound signature.
To my lingering frustration I am trying to get near that level with current dap offerings and it has been a less than inspiring experience thus far, but I will get there.

In your experience, provided you work with the same master, would there be hearable difference between 16 bit file and 24 bit file?
I know, that this bit depth is not the only factor... R2R DAC would be much less affected by the bit depth of the source.. while most delta sigma DAC would perform better with higher bit and higher sampling rate.... but in your experience, is it really hearable?

I personally ever test this: I have a 16 bit/44KHz. I upsample it to 16bit/48KHz, 24bit/48Khz and 24 bit/96KHz..
Played on the same X3.. they sounded a little bit difference, not better or worse, just bit different... And they sounded different with default X3 firmware or with Rockbox. So definitely the bit depth and sampling frequency affect the software processing or the hardware in this case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back