Rockbox Xduoo X3
Nov 15, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #991 of 2,617

Not an expert at all, but SURELY the pitch issue is noticeable?

So therefore stock isnt an option?

I do not notice any difference in everyday listening while commuting. What I definitely hear is that sound on stock is more airy, better separation and body. But again, the difference is not a huge one but it is there... I listen to a lot of jazz and classical music only in lossless. 

I agree. The stock firmware utilizes the full bit depth and bit rate of the hardware and does sound airier and generally better, potentially, but it's ruined by the lethargic feel to everything it plays due to the clock error. Rockbox clocks at bang on the correct rate but down samples and truncates hi-def files making everything sound like the lowest quality files in your collection.

I can't understand the people who say they don't notice it. This is the one forum on the internet where I'd expect people to have good 'ears'. It seems not. Perhaps it's just a rent-a-mob, after all.

Nov 15, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #992 of 2,617

I agree. The stock firmware utilizes the full bit depth and bit rate of the hardware and does sound airier and generally better, potentially, but it's ruined by the lethargic feel to everything it plays due to the clock error. Rockbox clocks at bang on the correct rate but down samples and truncates hi-def files making everything sound like the lowest quality files in your collection.

I can't understand the people who say they don't notice it. This is the one forum on the internet where I'd expect people to have good 'ears'. It seems not. Perhaps it's just a rent-a-mob, after all.

I don't let rockbox downsample.  I use 16 bit flac which play just fine.  Of course I noticed that 24 bit files are unacceptable on this (rockboxed) player but I am happy with 16 bit.  I don't even want to take up that much room on the card for 24 bit files anyway.  I may do it if I get an x10.  Just waiting for people to start buying and reviewing that.  I will  not buy it if it has any of the x3 problems.  Meanwhile I will enjoy using my rockboxed x3.  I am happier with it than I was with the ibasso dx50.  I found that last comment to be just a bit rude....

Nov 15, 2016 at 5:51 PM Post #993 of 2,617
Warning, long rant!!

It's obvious Xduoo has some issues with their software development team.......buggy X2, slow playing X3, is there more to add to this list? And they are not alone.

Most hardware is way out in front of the software with so many manufacturers, it's obvious the current business model is focused on keeping up with what's currently parked in the Jone's driveway. So many individual forums on specific gear talk about UI flaws and shortcomings. Maybe it's time manufacturers spent a bit more time on firmware development at least with respect to digital players, or alternatively, license RockBox and be done with it. We all know it's a winning platform. This is one example of several possible choices to improve firmware standards.

Paying for custom software development is expensive, I empathize with that. But if you're not going to do justice to the hardware then why bother? These guys don't see the forest for the trees because all their concentration is on designing and making next years models and how well they will compete with what the other manufacturers are doing. Last years models are passé....throw the dog a bone now and again, that's seems about it. You bought it, now you're stuck with it.

Hello Xduoo!! Many folks are ditching your firmware because it seriously lacks functionality. What's up with that? If you want to be more competitive there's a way to accomplishment that.

This repeating cycle mirrors several other industries which were once overstuffed with builders in their early days; so many models, so many competing for the same dollars with similar products. For end users it's a real struggle to keep abreast of the latest developments to help ensure our dollars are most effectively spent.

Let's face it, if you haven't the interest, inclination, or time to spend combing the many forums, reading numerous reviews, comparing specs, weighing prices vs. features then you are severely disadvantaged. And I get that the countless hours spent are part of the fascination with this hobby. I also happen to think it's already a bit out of hand, as measured by tangible levels of buyer dissatisfaction (we’re very polite about it), and the many drawers storing unused, working gear.....which in turn creates a semi-false economy as buyers upgrade to higher quality components. The industry term for this is 'repeat customer' and perceived as a very good thing. The buyers opinion is that our time is being wasted reading specs instead of enjoying the music for which this industry is supposed to exist. Put succinctly, our buying power isn't valued as highly by manufacturers as it is by audiophiles, in spite of contrary claims.

If I manufactured cars and discovered the first thing my customers did was ditch the seats for something more appropriate I’d be asking myself, ‘Why are we making seats that people don’t like? That is a total waste of our time, money and resources.’

I’m a bit frustrated that it is so hard to match audiophile components, it wears me down, my time and my wallet. I come to the marketplace with $1K and over a period of several months purchase several models of player, iem, amp and still find myself more frustrated than satisfied. And NOT listening to music! One by one the players get returned, the iem’s require an amp with my latest choice of player (no mention anywhere about that), I can’t be sure these iem’s are the ones I’ll like because my dap choices thus far have been unable to properly drive them, the amp needs to have DAC capability to work with my computer….and on it goes. Given the miniscule availability of reliable information it feels like it would be easier buying the right airplane than a ‘simple’ audiophile system.

Honestly, if it weren’t for the web and so many incredibly helpful contributors, this industry would not exist as it does. Everyday I am awed at the level of helpful kindness shown by fellow citizens, it inspires me to believe in humanity. I really love all you guys and gals. It’s US who help make the industry what it is. It’s US who help enable manufacturers to do what they do. And too often it’s US as loyal customers who pay the price for the lack of respect we truly deserve.

And yes, manufacturers put their heads and hearts on the line to bring us these fantastic technical offerings which often blow our minds. They have and continue to accomplish great things, bless them for that. But does a buyer need to be in the industry for a year to better understand what is actually being said, what is really meant, and what things work or don’t work by themselves and with each other?
I feel manufacturers could do a much better job of describing their component capabilities, what the general requirements will be for cans, iem’s, amps and dac’s (using widely accepted components, not specs alone) and in the process make it MUCH less complex for newbies (and their money) to enter the hobby and be happy right out of the gate.

Maybe manufacturers don’t realize this need exists but in my opinion it certainly does. It could be stated for example, that DAP model ‘A’ is ideally suited to iem models ‘similar to G, E & F’ and to amp/dac models similar to ‘J, K & L. If you want new customers then make it easier for them to wisely choose their gear. Surely that is a path to growth. You know this issue is real when you see the endless posts asking, ‘Can you compare this item to that item running on this model and that model?’ This is perhaps the single most common request in the numerous forums I read.

And lastly…
I came into this hobby with excitement and a willingness to learn. I didn’t anticipate being tortured but I have. Undaunted, I push forward a little wiser, more cautious for sure, and with a greater sense of patience in weeding through the bafflegab to get my solution in hand. With a larger budget I’d own a Lotoo LPG or RWAK380 with some nice monitors and be sitting in my recliner with a big grin on my face. And if I only had $200 to spend I’d probably be happy with whatever I got. It’s the middle of the industry where all the confusion reigns, somewhere between $250 and $2,500.

No coincidence that’s also where the greatest competition does battle for our hard won dollars. With the exception of those sitting comfortable in their hard won knowledge, no doubt gained over many years, I feel we could use some help from each manufacturer in recognizing the need to better deliver their offerings to the masses in ways we can better appreciate and understand. In the past this was largely a hobby of ‘experts.’ now it’s a field open to anyone with an interest in quality sound, a web browser, time and some money to spend.

When market sifting begins, and it always does, buyers can exert significant influence over which companies have the best chances of survival. It may be prudent to keep in mind there are a finite number of dollars to go around. Adapt or die, something has to change.

...........of course I could be so off base none of the above matters...yeah, maybe it is just me.

Nov 15, 2016 at 6:54 PM Post #994 of 2,617
  Hello everybody
I'm very intrested in using the rockbox port for a non profit organization, but I found some small bugs and some small improvements that can be done.
How can I get in contact with the developers (or with a developer) to ask for help or for a collaboration?
Thank you

Hello alefello

RockBox's den is well hidden, but if you go to
https://www.rockbox.org/
you may well find the team.

Along with their site, they eventually happen to run a forum, a mailing list, and an IRC channel.

If you have improvements to suggest, you'll be very welcome. They usually provide all the tools to allow anyone to make each improvment he wishes for. And, being themselves a non profit organisation, giving their free time for their own pleasure, and somehow for the pleasure of many, they will be very happy to see you help.

However, they are working on a port of RockBox to Xduoo X3 since december 2015, but didn't released anything yet. The software we are discussing in this thread is a kind of fork, whose Vortex is responsable of. Maybe you would like to join him through his site, which is
http://xvtx.ru/rockbox/

Regards,
Thezac

Nov 15, 2016 at 6:57 PM Post #995 of 2,617

What volume are you listening at? Given the digital volume control it probably makes little difference except maybe line out.

Nov 15, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #996 of 2,617

Lucky me, I didn't said anything about noticing it -- or not.

Would I had said anything, I would have felt totaly misunderstood. That was close !

Thezac.

Nov 15, 2016 at 9:44 PM Post #997 of 2,617
Is there an online survey about who actually notices the slow playing error? (My guess is that it would be skewed by those who claim to notice it!)
(I read that for decades, MIle Davis' classic "Kind of Blue" album frustrated musicians who thought they were off-pitch -  because the studio tape much later were discovered to have been recorded a little slow!)

Nov 16, 2016 at 2:23 AM Post #998 of 2,617
Hi I'm new here. I just got my X3 and tried to install rockbox. I believe I made it correct because it says "Updating...do not power off". After it restarted, I don't see or hear any difference from the stock firmware. There's also no option to change theme in the settings.

Nov 16, 2016 at 7:26 AM Post #999 of 2,617
Hi I'm new here. I just got my X3 and tried to install rockbox. I believe I made it correct because it says "Updating...do not power off". After it restarted, I don't see or hear any difference from the stock firmware. There's also no option to change theme in the settings.

Did you put Rockbox image on your sd card?

How's your X3 booting up? It should look like this...
[ATTACHMENT=3622]PicsArt_11-16-04.17.50.jpg (89k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

Nov 17, 2016 at 6:47 AM Post #1,003 of 2,617
I have a question. When using lineout (rockbox) with volume -5 to 0, the song suddenly stops when there's loud sounds or heavy bass. But when I lower the volume to -6 or below, it plays fine. I tried to play the same songs using the stock firmware and it plays smooth. With the headphone jack, no problem at all.

I don't have any EQ or gain on. Just 1 tick up for bass and treble. Tried 0 bass & treble, same result.

Hope someone can explain. Thanks

Nov 17, 2016 at 7:49 AM Post #1,004 of 2,617
  I have a question. When using lineout (rockbox) with volume -5 to 0, the song suddenly stops when there's loud sounds or heavy bass. But when I lower the volume to -6 or below, it plays fine. I tried to play the same songs using the stock firmware and it plays smooth. With the headphone jack, no problem at all.

I don't have any EQ or gain on. Just 1 tick up for bass and treble. Tried 0 bass & treble, same result.

Try reset, if it doesn`t help reinstall RB on SD card.

Nov 17, 2016 at 9:47 AM Post #1,005 of 2,617

Hi there.I have a similar issue but instead of loud sounds the X3 pauses reproduction by itself. If I press play button i only get 3 or 4 seconds of playing before the player pauses again, and so on. I have not try to level down de volume from 0db in line out to see if the issue persist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back