Rockbox Xduoo X3
Nov 9, 2016 at 9:08 AM Post #961 of 2,617
  The interface is much nicer but no noticeable difference sound quality wise.

I returned to stock, more airy and atmospheric sound.

Nov 9, 2016 at 8:55 PM Post #962 of 2,617
Do the files actually have proper tags? The database doesn't read cue files, so it depends on tag metadata for all files.

You were absolutely right. The (FLAC) files were untaged. Just finished updating the database and now the albums shows and plays correctly from database.

Thanks a lot!

Nov 14, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #974 of 2,617
  I returned to stock, more airy and atmospheric sound.

So you don't mind that there is no gapless play with stock?  If you just shuffle songs I guess it would be ok but many albums have to be gapless.  Also do you hear the pitch issue in stock mode?  Some people do, others don't.  Those were the reasons I rockboxed mine immdediately.  I had never had a rockboxed unit before so was unfamiliar with the interface.  There are a lot of fancy features that I don't use but I did pick out a skin and have made a database.   Tweaked a few things but I don't bother with the equalizer or anything like that.

Nov 14, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #975 of 2,617

So you don't mind that there is no gapless play with stock?  If you just shuffle songs I guess it would be ok but many albums have to be gapless.  Also do you hear the pitch issue in stock mode?  Some people do, others don't.  Those were the reasons I rockboxed mine immdediately.  I had never had a rockboxed unit before so was unfamiliar with the interface.  There are a lot of fancy features that I don't use but I did pick out a skin and have made a database.   Tweaked a few things but I don't bother with the equalizer or anything like that.

The pitch and timing thing with the barebones/stock firmware was driving me nuts. I have musician friends telling me that I *can't* possibly hear the difference - yet I do! Having songs in higher quality that were just not as good as the lossy MP3s on the same device? No thanks, I'd use an iPod if that were acceptable!

Interesting to see the suggestion that the sound is not as good on the rockbox firmware; I did not have the words to articulate that feeling. However, it is a vast improvement over ANY MP3 player than I have had and I can only pray that a later update restores the full sound of the stock firmware - without the wonky timing.

Also, has anyone had any luck getting music manager software to work with the xDuoo X3 on Windows 10?

I have been looking at MusicBee and it has fabulous features; like normalising the sound volume across tracks, albums and collections that vastly improve the listening experience. No more need to keep tweaking the volume controls etc. The program will find artwork from the internet for orphaned albums which is nice to have too. However, it does not see the xDuoo X3 as a device and consequently will not copy the music over to it - or create playlists, that I can see. I hope someone else has had the time to figure out a workaround for this, or some other, music management system. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Ian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back