Rockbox Xduoo X3
Nov 5, 2016 at 8:27 AM Post #931 of 2,617
Well, found a battery at the local mobile phone repair guy, its only 1000mah, but hee. (if it works, I think I can fit two in parallel). Returning it and so, well, it's complicated.

It's worth a try I guess. Does the board heat up just while it's playing or is there heat while it's powered on but idle, or even powered off but with the battery connected? If it does work, I'd go on ebay and get a proper battery.

Nov 5, 2016 at 9:50 AM Post #932 of 2,617

To Riolist2.

Thanks to TonyVier, we have a X3 battery pic here.

The writings on it says
1) E613774
2) -2000mAh
3)160805
4) 3.7v
5) 7.4wh

If I got it correctly :
1) is the dimentions in milimeters, as earlier explained, two digits per two digits, (thicknes in reverse order for avoiding zéros; width ; length)
2) is the intensity, used to know the amount of charge that can be held in the battery. But, expressed in mAh, isn't it a flow ?
3) I have an educated guess. I assume this is a date, here eighth of may, 2016.
4) is the voltage, determined by the technology used, and vastly standard
5) is the power, determined by the previous digits in 2) and 4), and the formula P = U x I.

As the voltage is quite standard in batteries, the only variable here is the intensity, or the power, which is the same. And the dimensions, but I disregard this here.

To me,
- mA should display the amount of energy the battery can hold, and
- mAh should display how fast the battery can charge, or can drain.

Shouldn't we have two important variables, that is intensity (mA), and intensity per hour (mAh), and shall I be worried aboutt hat they are when buying a battery ?

Furthermore, how comes the battery says 61 in thickness, that would be 16 mm, while it's abviously a not that thick battery ?

Regards,
Thezac.

Nov 5, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #933 of 2,617

To Riolist2.

Thanks to TonyVier, we have a X3 battery pic here.

The writings on it says
1) E613774
2) -2000mAh
3)160805
4) 3.7v
5) 7.4wh

If I got it correctly :
1) is the dimentions in milimeters, as earlier explained, two digits per two digits, (thicknes in reverse order for avoiding zéros; width ; length)
2) is the intensity, used to know the amount of charge that can be held in the battery. But, expressed in mAh, isn't it a flow ?
3) I have an educated guess. I assume this is a date, here eighth of may, 2016.
4) is the voltage, determined by the technology used, and vastly standard
5) is the power, determined by the previous digits in 2) and 4), and the formula P = U x I.

As the voltage is quite standard in batteries, the only variable here is the intensity, or the power, which is the same. And the dimensions, but I disregard this here.

To me,
- mA should display the amount of energy the battery can hold, and
- mAh should display how fast the battery can charge, or can drain.

Shouldn't we have two important variables, that is intensity (mA), and intensity per hour (mAh), and shall I be worried aboutt hat they are when buying a battery ?

Furthermore, how comes the battery says 61 in thickness, that would be 16 mm, while it's abviously a not that thick battery ?

Regards,
Thezac.

You're probably correct about (3) being the date code. The dimension code is not, as far as I'm aware, a strict IEEE standard, but an industry standard that allows the size to be represented numerically. The 61, since there's no zero, would not be reversed and instead indicate that the battery is 6mm thick +/- 1mm, since precision dimensions are not often needed or practical in the manufacturing process used.

The mAh and Wh are just two ways of stating the same thing, and yes W = V x I. The correct designation always includes "h" which stands for hours, meaning the battery can supply the stated value for 1 hour, in other words 2000mA for one hour, or, since the voltage is 3.7V, 7.4W for one hour.

The 3.7V is the voltage of all single cell batteries that use this chemistry, just as all alkaline and carbon zinc single cells produce 1.5V. There are lithium batteries that produce multiples of this voltage but they contain multiple cells in series, just as a 9V alkaline battery consists of 6 alkaline cells in series, or a 6V lantern battery consists of 4.

Nov 5, 2016 at 7:07 PM Post #935 of 2,617
"*PANIC*
Stkov dircache"

rolleyes.gif

Oh Deary me! it's happened again...the Saga continues...

This time around at least I had the calm composure and presence of mind to even take a pic of the error. It would seem to me it happens when you go to turn on the unit after a full charge via the USB charger. Perhaps due to being too long on the charger? how long is too long? I dunno. More observations needed to either confirm or refute this hypothesis...

NOTE: According to the official manual:
- "Full charge time is 4 hours by computer"
- "When charge by adapter, the require for adaptor is: output voltage is 5V, current is 1A or more. Full charge time is 2 hours by adaptor."

In the 30+ years since I began using portable music players, I have never ever had one die on me after just a couple of weeks, and then die again just a couple of days later...notwithstanding the fact on both occasions I have been fortunate enough to  (painstakingly) resuscitate the monster!
confused_face_2.gif

Question on my mind now is: is it an XDUOO 'Poor Quality Control' issue or a is it a Rockbox-port issue???

Any thoughts?

Nov 5, 2016 at 11:05 PM Post #937 of 2,617
  "*PANIC*
Stkov dircache"

rolleyes.gif

Nothing to be afraid of. Undocumented functionality in RockBox. Forget it, reboot, and enjoy untils it shows again. :)

---

More seriously. RockBox (RB) is a wonderful piece of software written by benevolents, who are comitted to offer better firmwares for Digital Music Players. Their lair is here :
https://www.rockbox.org/

The initial release was in june 2002. A few weeks from now. :)
They developped RB, and ported it to various devices, adding a functionality here, removing a bug there. Quite a tremendous work and an astonishing result. Do you know you can play Doom on RB ? Do you know what Doom is ?
They are still active. After all those years. Chasing bugs, porting to new devices. At their pace.

They have not ported RB to a new device for a couple of years, although they are working on it. No release for quite time. They are working on a port to XDuoo X3 since december 2015.
http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php/topic,51139.0.html

Here comes XVortex. A cool russian guy. He is not in the RB team, but decided to port RB to XDuoo X3. And did it. Made his firmware public. Made his sources public. RB team reviewed it, someone said the code seems excellent. Although XVortex is using their source code and their logo without explicit autorisation, and doesn't mention the copyrights he uses.
http://xvtx.ru/rockbox/

XVortex maintained his code, and made a few improvments. The bug (undocumented functionality :)  ) you meet has been reported for some monthes, but nothing seems done about it. There is another bug, more frequent, concerning USB accessibility of the device, when RB is active. Another one is the 3 seconds delay when start playing a file. None being investigated neither.

So, if any bugs shows up, there is not much about them you can do. Return to official firmware (OF) ? Make a note to XVortex, asking hom to correct the bug ? Done, with mixed results. Offer to pay him for his work ? Wait for RB's official release ? If the bug doesn't bother you to much, just endure it and go on ? I choosed to endure. I think I may had this bug twice or thrice since july.

Anyhow, it's not because your device is wrong. No hardware failure there. Just reboot.

Thezac.

Nov 6, 2016 at 12:13 AM Post #938 of 2,617
vicnsi, try the following:
Settings - General Settings - System - Disk - Directory Cache - No

My X3 gave me the panic error when I would start pressing buttons too soon after boot. Disabling the Directory Cache seemed to fix the issue.

XVortex's newest release seems to have resolved it for me, and my cache has been enabled for a month or so now with no issues.

Nov 6, 2016 at 12:20 AM Post #939 of 2,617

Nothing to be afraid of. Undocumented functionality in RockBox. Forget it, reboot, and enjoy untils it shows again. :)

---

More seriously. RockBox (RB) is a wonderful piece of software written by benevolents, who are comitted to offer better firmwares for Digital Music Players. Their lair is here :
https://www.rockbox.org/

The initial release was in june 2002. A few weeks from now. :)
They developped RB, and ported it to various devices, adding a functionality here, removing a bug there. Quite a tremendous work and an astonishing result. Do you know you can play Doom on RB ? Do you know what Doom is ?
They are still active. After all those years. Chasing bugs, porting to new devices. At their pace.

They have not ported RB to a new device for a couple of years, although they are working on it. No release for quite time. They are working on a port to XDuoo X3 since december 2015.
http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php/topic,51139.0.html

Here comes XVortex. A cool russian guy. He is not in the RB team, but decided to port RB to XDuoo X3. And did it. Made his firmware public. Made his sources public. RB team reviewed it, someone said the code seems excellent. Although XVortex is using their source code and their logo without explicit autorisation, and doesn't mention the copyrights he uses.
http://xvtx.ru/rockbox/

XVortex maintained his code, and made a few improvments. The bug (undocumented functionality :)  ) you meet has been reported for some monthes, but nothing seems done about it. There is another bug, more frequent, concerning USB accessibility of the device, when RB is active. Another one is the 3 seconds delay when start playing a file. None being investigated neither.

So, if any bugs shows up, there is not much about them you can do. Return to official firmware (OF) ? Make a note to XVortex, asking hom to correct the bug ? Done, with mixed results. Offer to pay him for his work ? Wait for RB's official release ? If the bug doesn't bother you to much, just endure it and go on ? I choosed to endure. I think I may had this bug twice or thrice since july.

Anyhow, it's not because your device is wrong. No hardware failure there. Just reboot.

Thezac.

Thanks Thezac. Re-assuring.

Absolutely, Yes I would urge anyone who has faith in Rockbox, if you haven't already done so, do make a donation. Without his software I would not have even opted to buy an XDUOO® X3 from the gazillion choices currently available on the market (well, at least on Amazon
regular_smile .gif
). I was so impressed the day I installed Rockbox, I rushed to his website to make a donation immediately. No joke. Y'all help & show your support for Romain (xvortex); will probably help ensure his software will get even more impressive in leaps and bounds. Cheers.

Nov 6, 2016 at 1:10 AM Post #940 of 2,617
OK, so today I've encountered that *PANIC* error message after copying some files through USB on the native UI then initializing the Database update on Rockbox.

Tried the pin-accessable tinsee reset button, no use.

Tried going back to stock fw and then reinstalled rb, no use.

Good thing I fixed it.

What I did is I took off my SD card from the x3, popped it into a USB/OTG reader and went to Window's Ye Olde command prompt. I did a chkdsk /f on the SD Card, chose Y (for Yes) on all options, then copied/extracted and replaced the .rockbox and update.zip components. Viola! problem solved.

Nov 6, 2016 at 5:06 AM Post #941 of 2,617
It's worth a try I guess. Does the board heat up just while it's playing or is there heat while it's powered on but idle, or even powered off but with the battery connected? If it does work, I'd go on ebay and get a proper battery.

The x3 just is hot. Whatever. Does not want to charge anymore, also not with new battery. End of story. Back to my fiio X5 "original".

Nov 6, 2016 at 6:52 AM Post #942 of 2,617
The x3 just is hot. Whatever. Does not want to charge anymore, also not with new battery. End of story. Back to my fiio X5 "original".

Genuine hardware failure, I can understand being bummed out or pissed off, but there's no need to just give up and take the loss, I would contact the vendor and arrange for a replacement. These things can happen to all technological equipment, from washing machines to cars to multi-million dollar medical equipment, that's why warranties, repair personnel, and service manuals exist, just follow through with the remedial process and get a replacement.

Nov 6, 2016 at 7:50 AM Post #943 of 2,617
Hello,
I cannot sem to play all files random. I found a couple of random and a shuffle option within the rockbox menu but it only plays within one album. I do see a shuffle icon lit on the display.Can anyone explain to me how to get it to shuffle all tracks please ?

Nov 6, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #944 of 2,617
  Hello,
I cannot sem to play all files random. I found a couple of random and a shuffle option within the rockbox menu but it only plays within one album. I do see a shuffle icon lit on the display.Can anyone explain to me how to get it to shuffle all tracks please ?

I believe you first have to include all song files into the dynamic playlist. The way that I can do this is that I have a main folder on my card called 'Music' which contains subfolders of artists and albums. The specific set up I have isn't important for what I'm describing, what's important is there's one folder that contains all the music I have on the card. What I do is navigate to where that file is highlighted. I do this on my player by, from the main Rockbox menu I select 'Files', now on mine for some reason this takes me one step below the 'Music' directory, into all the artist subfolders directly below it, I then have to hit the 'back' button, which in Rockbox is actually the 'option' button on the player, and my 'Music' folder is highlighted. I then can long-press the play-pause button to get the context menu and 'Current Playlist' is highlighted. If I then activate that option by quick-pressing the play-pause button all the songs in my 'Music' folder are added to the dynamic playlist and I can then play all the songs on the player in a single session and apply all of the play order options to the entire library, including shuffle play. I guess it sounds more complicated than it really is, just try it and you'll see.

Nov 6, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #945 of 2,617
Riolist2 is exactly right. You can also add everything on the Slot 2 card by selecting Files and then long-pressing Play while <microSD1> is highlighted. Then choose Curren Playlist - Insert Shuffled.

You can also tell Rockbox where to start the File browser. Riolist, it appears yours starts within the Music folder; you can clear this setting by long-pressing Play when Files is highlighted in the main menu and scrolling to the bottom of the options to "Start File Browser at /". To set a specific directory, highlight the directory, long-press Play, and choose "Start File Browser Here". You can also tell Rockbox which folder contains you Playlists in the same way, otherwise it defaults to a folder named "Playlists" in your root directory.

Information dump follows:

About how Rockbox treats files: everything is Playlist based. When you select a single track in a folder, Rockbox will automatically create a playlist that includes every music file within that folder and play through them according to your settings (shuffle, repeat, etc.). You can add tracks, remove tracks, rearrange them, etc. and even save the current playlist if you like it.

So if you want to Shuffle all tracks on your player, you have to add everything to the current playlist. Riolist's solution is the simplest: store all your music folders within one parent folder, and when you want to play everything, select the parent folder, long-press Play, select Current Playlist - Insert Shuffled. If you don't add new music often, save this new shuffled Playlist as "Everything" so you can use it later.

If the player is currently playing something, your music will be shuffled into the current playlist. If the player is stopped (not paused, but stopped; you can stop playback by pressing the power button), Rockbox will start fresh and only include the music in the selected folder.

When you select "Insert Shuffled", Rockbox creates a randomised Playlist, and then plays straight through it. If you select "Repeat All", when it reaches the end of the randomised Playlist, it will start over and play your randomised tracks in the same order as before. This is handy, because there are never any repeated tracks when Shuffled (unless you have several instances of the same song in your collection). If you wish to listen to the same Playlist but Shuffled into a different order, then on the While Playing Screen, long-press Play to call up the Playlist menu, and select "Reshuffle" at the bottom of the menu.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back