rockbox on ipod is here
Feb 2, 2006 at 12:03 PM Post #61 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by seeberg
I should take this moment to inform those waiting for any kind of open source program supporting WMA to not hold your breath; WMA is a close licensed black box of a format, and will probably never be made available for the general public to develop on. (That's why it will never have a role in my music or computer
biggrin.gif
)

580smile.gif
Abe

There is apparently an open-source WMA decoder available, but it uses floating point math, and (at least on iriver targets) Rockbox needs fixed point math. One of the core Rockbox developers once described the problem this way: "Someone with a clue needs to step up and work on it. The problem is that people with a clue don't use WMA."

I agree with seeberg though. If all of your files are WMA, Rockbox is probably not for you. Although something tells me that won't be a big problem for people with iPods.
biggrin.gif

Feb 2, 2006 at 11:01 PM Post #64 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by apnk
I want a iPod now! I am going to let my karma die first.....where's the hammer...

LOL.

Feb 3, 2006 at 1:48 AM Post #67 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by apnk
I want a iPod now! I am going to let my karma die first.....where's the hammer...

Wait... that's bad karma!
tongue.gif

Feb 3, 2006 at 4:07 AM Post #68 of 124
For all those iPod users salivating, remember, this is written by volunteers who have other jobs, and do this in their spare time.

It will take some time before there is an official release.

However, those interpid folk over at misticriver.net have been going strong. They have had colour support for the H3xx players on Rockbox for about 30 days now, and there are 40 skins, including one that mimics an iPod Colour screen.

See this thread......

http://www.misticriver.net/showthread.php?t=35852

z

Feb 3, 2006 at 7:30 AM Post #69 of 124
Man - I was so happy with my iPods but now I just can't wait to put FLAC on it, or Ogg Vorbis, or MPC or ..............man I so can't wait for this.
icon10.gif

Feb 5, 2006 at 12:52 AM Post #70 of 124
What about freeing yourself from iTunes?

Being able to, with no third party software, drop your tunes on any computer, and take them from any computer?

a

Feb 5, 2006 at 1:50 AM Post #71 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by azesty

Being able to, with no third party software, drop your tunes on any computer, and take them from any computer?

a

Easy. Use sharepod.
icon10.gif

EDIT: Still patiently waiting for Rockbox.......

Feb 5, 2006 at 2:06 AM Post #72 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF
EDIT: Still patiently waiting for Rockbox.......

Patiently?
biggrin.gif

from what i have tried its still too buggy for use on a nano, but the premise is interesting.

Feb 5, 2006 at 5:22 AM Post #74 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by gshan
I know it's not at a "final" version status yet, but in general what are the chances of RockBox installation turning a player into an expensive brick?

Everything I've read indicates that it's very safe to put the rockbox on the ipod.

Feb 5, 2006 at 12:01 PM Post #75 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by azesty

a

Yes AFAIK rockbox allows this. Because RB just utilises file tree navigation system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back