rockbox on ipod is here
Feb 5, 2006 at 3:41 PM Post #76 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by milamber
Yes AFAIK rockbox allows this. Because RB just utilises file tree navigation system.

Yep, with Rockbox, the player is just an external hard drive that gets recognized without needing any special drivers. You can just plug it into any old pc, copy stuff onto it, pull stuff off of it, and then browse the file structure from the player and play whatever's on it. No need for any iTunes-like software

Feb 5, 2006 at 4:23 PM Post #77 of 124
I installed rockbox on my nano the other morning in a matter of about 15 minutes. A very easy process and it works pretty well for being so early on. I'm looking forward to the furter development of the firmware.

Feb 5, 2006 at 7:36 PM Post #78 of 124
I put rockbox on my 60g ipod photo but it doesn't seem to be working right. Half the time I start it up it freezes, and when it does work I can't find any of my files. I couldn't find any sort of guide to navigating, either. Theme switching, apps, etc. all work but it seems sort of "choppy." Everything still works fine when I boot it to the apple firmware.

Any ideas? I guess I'm going to try redoing the install.
confused.gif

Update: It worked after I reinstalled it.

Feb 7, 2006 at 6:08 AM Post #80 of 124
can someone explain to me in plain english how the dual boot works? i'm waiting for a 4g version as well. also, how's the eq? is it a graphical interface?

does anyone have pictures?

Feb 7, 2006 at 10:30 AM Post #81 of 124
icon10.gif
Yes, some pictures would be nice.

Feb 7, 2006 at 10:42 AM Post #82 of 124
Well i found something even better: a video!
http://media.ipod-fun.de/m4v_movies/rockbox.mp4
it's from the german fan site ipod-fun.de, and is showing the menus, as well as the play screen. they already installed a skin, to mimik the original ipod style. but just for the play screen.

PS: the menus in the video are in german.........

Feb 7, 2006 at 2:13 PM Post #83 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by b-sides
can someone explain to me in plain english how the dual boot works? i'm waiting for a 4g version as well. also, how's the eq? is it a graphical interface?

does anyone have pictures?

When you boot the ipod (holding menu and center buttons) the player starts rockbox by default unless you hold menu button. Holding the menu button loads original firmware.

If you select the original firmware ipod will use it until you boot it again (by holding menu and center buttons).

Feb 7, 2006 at 6:25 PM Post #84 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockbox Forum
I tried the latest version of CVS...there is a 4g grayscale option. I was able to get a little bit of UI up at first boot. See: http://gdl.imeem.net/g/417a03698ce04...f6adfcd9b5.jpg

But now all I get is a blank screen with backlight. Smiley

Response:

Yes - that's the current state of the 4g grayscale port - it's booting, but the button driver isn't working, so you can't do anything.

Patches are welcome - there are no developers with a 4g grayscale.

Yar!!!
eek.gif
frown.gif
This is the part where I lend out my iPod for the sake of development. Perhaps I should hustle my programmer brother...
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 7, 2006 at 7:38 PM Post #85 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhymesgalore
Well i found something even better: a video!
http://media.ipod-fun.de/m4v_movies/rockbox.mp4
it's from the german fan site ipod-fun.de, and is showing the menus, as well as the play screen. they already installed a skin, to mimik the original ipod style. but just for the play screen.

PS: the menus in the video are in german.........

Wow. Thanks for that link. Unfortunately my German is not that good but it was cool to see what this thing is going to look like. I sure hope it supports album art.
icon10.gif

Feb 14, 2006 at 12:59 AM Post #90 of 124
So what makes this better than iTunes besides the obvious SQ? Will I have to reupload my music?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back