rockbox on ipod is here
Feb 15, 2006 at 11:22 AM Post #106 of 124
Follow these directions: http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/vie...odInstallation

An easy way to start up the command prompt isntead of looking around for it in the Start Menu is to do Start -> Run -> Type in "cmd" and press Enter.

Good luck!
tongue.gif

Feb 15, 2006 at 11:34 AM Post #107 of 124
Mirrored screen for the apple firmware seems to be for iPod 4Gs.

Feb 16, 2006 at 8:47 AM Post #110 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by LedFloyd
Sooooo anyone noticing any audio improvements over the original Apple firmware?

Not really. I was listening to some FLAC files and MPC files today. They sound great and being able to play them is fantastic but they don't sound right for some reason. I am impressed by the fact it works but the sound still has a way to go. It could be it's just me.
icon10.gif

Feb 16, 2006 at 1:05 PM Post #111 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF
Not really. I was listening to some FLAC files and MPC files today. They sound great and being able to play them is fantastic but they don't sound right for some reason. I am impressed by the fact it works but the sound still has a way to go. It could be it's just me.
icon10.gif

I found the sound quality of the 2/13 build to be noticably WORSE than the original Apple firmware on both FLAC and 320K MP3 files. This was the 5G port of Rockbox. You can find my comments in the thread about the 5G version.

Feb 16, 2006 at 1:11 PM Post #112 of 124
On my 4G, FLAC quality is outstanding. Far better than 320kbps mp3s on the Apple firmware as far as my ears can tell. I'm quite happy with the rockbox so far , updating it everyday
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 16, 2006 at 1:27 PM Post #113 of 124
I checked with the guy who is doing most of the iPod development at present (linuxstb on the Rockbox IRC) and he is aware of the mirror-image issue and has ideas about how to solve it.

Feb 16, 2006 at 1:30 PM Post #114 of 124
Its actually not that much of a problem for me, as I just use the apple firmware to copy files onto my iPod, nothing else. The rockbox works really well for music playback so far, and although there are many graphical bugs it is still easy to navigate and use the rockbox options I need.

Feb 16, 2006 at 1:53 PM Post #115 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jashugan
On my 4G, FLAC quality is outstanding. Far better than 320kbps mp3s on the Apple firmware as far as my ears can tell. I'm quite happy with the rockbox so far , updating it everyday
smily_headphones1.gif

It's also worth checking out Wavpack in Hybrid mode. You basically get a lossy file, and a correction file. Together they are lossless (and roughly the same size as a FLAC), but you can copy the lossy file to the iPod, encoded at say 400k with the extra quality option enabled. The file will be pretty much indistinguishable from a FLAC, and only half the size. But when you play the file on your computer, it will find the correction file and make it lossless.

Feb 16, 2006 at 1:58 PM Post #116 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by lexnasa
It's also worth checking out Wavpack in Hybrid mode. You basically get a lossy file, and a correction file. Together they are lossless (and roughly the same size as a FLAC), but you can copy the lossy file to the iPod, encoded at say 400k with the extra quality option enabled. The file will be pretty much indistinguishable from a FLAC, and only half the size. But when you play the file on your computer, it will find the correction file and make it lossless.

Hmm, doesnt sound like it'll be real lossless then... I'll have to find more information on this.

Feb 16, 2006 at 7:25 PM Post #117 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by dpippel
I found the sound quality of the 2/13 build to be noticably WORSE than the original Apple firmware on both FLAC and 320K MP3 files. This was the 5G port of Rockbox. You can find my comments in the thread about the 5G version.

Yeah - I am also using the 5G port. For some reason the sound just doesn't sound right. I am very optimistic though.

Feb 17, 2006 at 5:15 PM Post #120 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalcat
Am I just imagining things or Rockbox actually sounds better than the apple OS?
tongue.gif
. The EQ is great.

In archos, rockbox certainly sounded better than archos firmaware. I remember the shock a few years ago
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back