Rockbox for iBasso DX50 dual boot with stock firmware
Mar 17, 2014 at 6:10 AM Post #211 of 2,020
Different experience here, having tried the last update yesterday on my DX50.

What I like so far :

- Settings on almost everything (especially EQ) are amazing compared to stock FW
- Playlists, finally
- Responsive on click and navigation

What I dislike :

- Sluggish UI on scroll (menu & tracks) and sometimes confusing
- With the stock theme, not really optimized for the screen (very tiny fonts, lot of space lost between lines, no difference between menu categories and menu item below etc.)

Nothing that can't be fixed by the ability to change themes and a bit of optimization though (concerning the sluggish scroll only). I will stick to the stock FW for now, and hope to get back to Rockbox definitively very soon 
rolleyes.gif

Mar 17, 2014 at 6:57 AM Post #212 of 2,020
I find the whole idea of RockBox facinating and I used it years ago on an iRiver H140 to good effect but for me the stock 1.2.8 firmware works flawlessly and does everything I want from a dap so I'll stick to that

Mar 17, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #213 of 2,020
- With the stock theme, not really optimized for the screen (very tiny fonts, lot of space lost between lines, no difference between menu categories and menu item below etc.)

The line spacing is padding for touch screens. Configured in Settings -> General Settings -> Display -> Touchscreen Settings -> Line Padding in Lists. Turning the padding off and changing the touch screen type from point to 3x3 grid makes for an experience that's very similar to Rockbox on other devices.

Fonts are under themes but there's only one font currently bundled with the update image.

Mar 17, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #214 of 2,020

Sorry for the trouble, but can anyone tell me how to create playlists in rockbox? Thanks in advance!

It's fairly documented in every RB manual. It should work for DX50 as well.

http://download.rockbox.org/daily/manual/rockbox-ipodvideo/rockbox-buildch5.html#x8-990005.10

It seems like my RB does not allow me to write anything to the internal memory or SD card, neither playlists nor EQ settings. But I can create a directory though. What is missing here? Whenever I save anything and then browse for it, there is nothing there. There was no such /Playlists directory anywhere and I made one and specified it as the playlist directory, but still no luck.

Could you explain a little more on how you made the playlists? Thanks!

Mar 17, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #215 of 2,020
  It seems like my RB does not allow me to write anything to the internal memory or SD card, neither playlists nor EQ settings. But I can create a directory though. What is missing here? Whenever I save anything and then browse for it, there is nothing there. There was no such /Playlists directory anywhere and I made one and specified it as the playlist directory, but still no luck.

Could you explain a little more on how you made the playlists? Thanks!

i didnt try this on database mode, but enter file mode long press file or folder, then choose playlist cataloge then you got the option to add to a new playlist or to an existing one.

then to play them, you will find on the main menu playlist catalogue, choose the playlist and play it.

Mar 17, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #216 of 2,020

i didnt try this on database mode, but enter file mode long press file or folder, then choose playlist cataloge then you got the option to add to a new playlist or to an existing one.

then to play them, you will find on the main menu playlist catalogue, choose the playlist and play it.

I did that, but when I got back to playlist catalogue, there was nothing there.

I'll reinstall it later to see what's happening. Thanks

Mar 17, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #217 of 2,020
I did that, but when I got back to playlist catalogue, there was nothing there.

I'll reinstall it later to see what's happening. Thanks

When you install the image with Rockbox it creates a directory called /data/Playlists on the device. This isn't visible via USB but you can see that it's there with ADB. If you do a factory reset from Mango then everything in /data gets erased and then whatever Mango needs is recreated. Problem is, the Playlists directory isn't created.

Two ways to fix this in the short term:

Do the factory reset from Mango then install the Rockbox update.img and then never do another factory reset.

Change to the platform-tools directory and run the command "adb shell mkdir /data/Playlists".

Mar 17, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #218 of 2,020
When you install the image with Rockbox it creates a directory called /data/Playlists on the device. This isn't visible via USB but you can see that it's there with ADB. If you do a factory reset from Mango then everything in /data gets erased and then whatever Mango needs is recreated. Problem is, the Playlists directory isn't created.

Do the factory reset from Mango then install the Rockbox update.img and then never do another factory reset.

Change to the platform-tools directory and run the command "adb shell mkdir /data/Playlists".

I see. Will try.

Mar 17, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #219 of 2,020
Keeps getting better. Backlight is now turning off now. Problem is the every time you press a button, the backlight turns on. Its driving me nuts lol. Unfortunately the settings for that feature is already turned off as a default in RB settings. Hoping for a fix on this. I rarely use the lock switch just to be honest.

Mar 17, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #220 of 2,020
The line spacing is padding for touch screens. Configured in Settings -> General Settings -> Display -> Touchscreen Settings -> Line Padding in Lists. Turning the padding off and changing the touch screen type from point to 3x3 grid makes for an experience that's very similar to Rockbox on other devices.

Fonts are under themes but there's only one font currently bundled with the update image.

That's very helpful. Thanks. I prefer this set -up.

I think that this shows that my large physical buttons may be a "faulty". As I press the 'rewind' key and it sometimes responds correctly and sometimes it doesn't. Unless others can replicate this, it probably is a hardware fault on my machine rather than a rockbox glitch that I alluded to earlier in response to fast forwarding within a track. It's not a big enough issue to send my machine back though.

Mar 17, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #221 of 2,020

Does it matter which FW is booted to get ADB to connect to DX50? I just tried both Mango and RB. Somehow adb can't see my DX50 when connected via USB

Mar 17, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #223 of 2,020
Does it matter which FW is booted to get ADB to connect to DX50? I just tried both Mango and RB. Somehow adb can't see my DX50 when connected via USB

Try to re-install your drivers

Mar 17, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #225 of 2,020

i had to ask because rockbox + clip+ had nice battery performance but rockbox + ipod classic was too bad battery wise, i mean my ipod it had a very nice battery, i could listen for a week on one charge, but with rockbox it lasted only 1 hour 30 min ..

This is not correct.  The last benchmarks I saw on the Classic got something like 40 hours, which is way more than the Apple firmware.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back