Rockbox for iBasso DX50 dual boot with stock firmware
Mar 14, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #46 of 2,020

I think it's as easy as other DAPs with Rockbox. I am not messing with the themes yet as I like the default theme blending in with DX50's overall design. Besides, I want to concentrate first on features affecting SQ.
darthsmile.gif

As of the moment. DX50 feels like a new DAP to me. With the latest update all buttons are responding flawlessly with each press. No more annoying delays. Except for the Long press on the power button to shutdown the player, all button functions are spot on.

no delays on press buttons - sounds very nice)

Mar 14, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #47 of 2,020
ive used many ipods and other dap's but never tried rockbox. 

could anyone briefly explain the advantages (and disadvantages if exist) of rockbox?

my dx50 is running on 1.2.8., and i like the sound and it has been working without any flaws.  i dont use the playlists or anything like that. 

Mar 14, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #48 of 2,020
could anyone briefly explain the advantages (and disadvantages if exist) of rockbox?

I suggest browsing the Rockbox web site for an overview of what Rockbox is and why it exists.

The specific advantages regarding DX50 include, but are not limited to: working playlists, working ReplayGain, and possibly better battery life.

The specific disadvantages regarding DX50 are: um... er... I can't think of any. I don't think Rockbox plays DSD files but who does that inconvenience? :)

Mar 14, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #49 of 2,020
Rockbox effectively fix several annoying quirks in DX50. True gapless function, better/advance EQ, ruler flat response, no hint of color If you want to listen to exactly how the song was recorded, Advance/customizable display or themes.

Not to mention the UI (both touchscreen & physical buttons) responds much better.

Mar 14, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #50 of 2,020
>I think you broke something with this. I typically find -22 dB to be a comfortable level both with my Clip and with Rockbox. Today, -22 dB is barely audible. Reverting to yesterday's version brings the -22 dB setting back to -22 dB.
Most probably fixed, that was due to wrong sign when I was combining hw volume with sw balance.
Please try the update - https://bitbucket.org/isergachev/rockbox/wiki/Home

The Mega site keeps giving me a download error. Could someone post a mirror of the latest firmware? 

Mar 14, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #52 of 2,020
Can anyone remind me what should be the size of the album art so Rockbox displays it correctly?

EDIT: got it. Must be 175x175 only

Mar 14, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #56 of 2,020
Sorry I was referring to embedded art on each files. I just have a few albums which is not displayed in Rockbox but fine with Mango.

Hm. In principle it shouldn't matter since embedded art is just JPG or whatever data stored in a tag. In practice it could be any of a number of things. What happens if you load the tracks into a tag fixer like Mp3tag and re-save them?

Mar 14, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #60 of 2,020
Perfect timing...I literally just got my DX50 yesterday, and just updated it to 1.2.8 last night and did a bit of listening.  As a long time Rockbox fan and user via the Clip+/ClipZip, this is awesome news.  I'll certainly be trying this out after work today.  Many kudos to xzcc and anyone else working on this project...I'll do my best to test it extensively and report back 
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back