Rockbox for iBasso DX50 dual boot with stock firmware
Mar 26, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #451 of 2,020
  i have stkov panik when i try to play anything

UPD:
problem resolved itself
perhaps because I had a little recharge (was very low battery)

I think the initial install doesn't go smoothly all the time but eventual fix itself or by re-installing RB the second time. But once you get past the initial hiccup it's all smooth sailing.

Mar 26, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #452 of 2,020
Kinda bit busy right now(wifey is preggy). Will try to flash it later. KUDOS for the CWM port!!

Mar 26, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #453 of 2,020
I'll try to write up a impossibly complicated simple explanation, though the web site itself to grab the files from has clarified the process slightly.  However, their steps are still a bit out of order.

1) Download the FIRMWARE_DOC2008.zip file from http://yadi.sk/d/UbPDGP_IKvVCA .  Inside you will find a number of zip files, and an update.img file.  Ignore the zips for now, and copy the update.img to your DX50s internal memory and install it as you would any other official firmware update.  Go to settings -> advanced -> system update.  The dx50 will automatically reboot into ibasso's recovery and install the modified update.img.   Essentially, this update.img is exactly the same as the stock firmware, except ibasso's recovery is replaced by CWM (both of which are booted into by holding power + volume on startup).  Note: Since the firmware file is about 10mb bigger than stock and contains a custom recovery, it will take a minute or so longer to finish the install.  If you haven't already copied the cwm_rockbox_2013-03-25.zip to the internal memory, reboot back into the main software and do so now.

2)  Boot into recovery again after the update is completed (holding down power + volume up on boot).  You should see a new recovery menu with an orange eye and a top hat in the center.  The bottom should read CWM-Based recovery modified by androtab.info v6.0.3.1.  Now you select Install zip from sdcard, select choose zip from sd card, and select the cwm_rockbox_2013-03-25.zip (mirror at mega.nz) file.  It will then ask to confirm the install.  Scroll down and select yes, and CWM will install the zip.  When finished, return and select reboot the system.

3)  Next time you start the dx50, you will get a touchscreen with a choice of whether to launch into mango (the stock player) or rockbox.  At the moment, you must launch into the stock player if you want to transfer files over usb.

4)  If you want to uninstall CWM and go back to the stock recovery, simply flash the stock_recovery.zip file in CWM and the original ibasso recovery will be restored.  I'm not quite sure what the other files are, but they seem to be sound tweaks which are also flashable in CWM, and one of the file contains font tweaks, possibly for rockbox. 

Hope this helps, and theres a lot in here to experiment with.  Its pretty standard for installing custom recoveries and what not on android, and thankfully isn't the most painful of installs.  It is, however, still a bit confusing, so let me know if there are any other parts you get stuck on.

When I inserted the various files from a "Rockbox theme" into an unzipped CWM file (into the three folders) and then zipped it up and tried to instal the CWM file it wouldn't load Properly and I got the error message installation aborted and I just rebooted into the standard dx50 operating system.

Has anyone else has the same situation ? Or have you managed to successfully insert some themes?

Mar 26, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #455 of 2,020
When I inserted the various files from a "Rockbox theme" into an unzipped CWM file (into the three folders) and then zipped it up and tried to instal the CWM file it wouldn't load Properly and I got the error message installation aborted and I just rebooted into the standard dx50 operating system.

Has anyone else has the same situation ? Or have you managed to successfully insert some themes?

^aha! did that too and got the same abort prompt.

I had no problems installing several themes: Cabbie Classic, AluminArt... Did you merge into the correct folders as per my previous post?

What I will also add is that the big advantage of this new installation system is that you can add other themes and fonts without using Android communication protocols (ADB etc.)  It is all good old fashioned USB communication.

To add themes you have to include them in the cwm_rockbox_2013-03-25 zip file. So open it up and drill down intro the folders:  system> rockbox > app_rockbox > rockbox. You will then see the Rockbox folders (backdrops..., themes, wps etc.) where you can drag and merge other themes. This is also where you can install the font package into the fonts folder.

When you then install the zip file as per instruction #2 in evilhippie's post above, you will also install your desired themes and fonts.

Mar 26, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #459 of 2,020
Okay, here is the actual procedure that used. I copied the three folders out of the CWM file into Windows Explorer (i.e. unzipped). I merged the themes into that. I then created a new zip file called Upgrade.zip in Windows Explorer and dragged the three folders into that. I then installed Upgrade.zip from the DX50 internal storage using that top level Recovery menu item.

It worked.

Mar 26, 2014 at 10:05 PM Post #460 of 2,020
Okay, here is the actual procedure that used. I copied the three folders out of the CWM file into Windows Explorer (i.e. unzipped). I merged the themes into that. I then created a new zip file called Upgrade.zip in Windows Explorer and dragged the three folders into that. I then installed Upgrade.zip from the DX50 internal storage using that top level Recovery menu item.

It worked.

Nice to have options on doing the same thing for the same purpose. But it's not necessarily better nor worse than adb. So if you got adb working, it should still be another good option of transferring files to DX50.

Mar 26, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #462 of 2,020
^ No doubt. But I never got ADB to work with Windows 7. I guess I'm just not an Android guy. :)

Never had an android device. (Well I have if DX50 counts). I abandoned Windows a long time ago when Apple adopted Unix for mac OSX. I guess android is familiar because like OSX it's a derivative of Unix.

Mar 26, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #463 of 2,020
  This is excellent work with the latest update using CWM and a much simpler method overall - big thanks to xzcc!

+1000 I absolutely echo that comment. The new CWM method has me customising my DX50 with my preferred themes. Could not get either my head nor computer around ADB!

I simply attached my DX50 to my computer via USB of course, and copied the theme files from source folders into the appropriate folders in the zipped archive on the DX50. Then reinstalled the zip file using the CWM Recovery. All it did was add the themes that were not previously added. Worked fine with no errors. I guess you can add to the archive anything you need before installing. With Windows 7 and 8 if not before, you don't need to extract and rezip an archive to add files to an already compressed archive. You can add by simple drag and drop. You cannot however drag a file from between two archives. The source must be extracted first (at least that's what I found last night).

Good luck and thanks for all you RB gurus who've had a hand in this.

Mar 27, 2014 at 2:37 AM Post #464 of 2,020
Query: can anyone isolate and post the main "rockbox" file from "2014-03-15_rockbox"? It would have to be extracted from the update.img file.

I would like to try this version's features with the new installer, adding themes.

If someone can do this, thanks in advance.

Mar 27, 2014 at 2:45 AM Post #465 of 2,020

It worked.

Maybe if I rename the file then?

The other problem I had was that my Theme file unzipped to a ".android" folder which I couldn't see on my IMac - it took me forever to find it - well in fact I didn't. I had to unzip it on my IPad and rename it to a name without the . at the beginning and then I coped the files from the three folders into the respective folders in the CWM file and then it wouldn't instal.

I will retry this evening

Users who are viewing this thread

Back