RockBox For HiFiman HM601 and for HM801
Dec 3, 2011 at 1:20 PM Post #91 of 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've reverted back to stock firmware. Its a bit of a PITA but doable.

biggrin.gif

Dec 13, 2011 at 9:30 AM Post #92 of 364
Yes, working time shortened, but i don`t care at all.
With RockBox firmware i feel like human being again. Rockbox makes sense. I get the ability to delete files (even on the fly - while player playing them), and many other ergonomic features.

Dec 13, 2011 at 11:08 AM Post #93 of 364
Rockbox is great firmware. I am currently using it on my Clip+. I'd get a HiFi-Man in the future but apparently the response is far from flat which, in my personal opinion, is exactly what a source should be.

Dec 13, 2011 at 11:32 AM Post #94 of 364
No it's lovely far from flat so probably not for you

Quote:
Rockbox is great firmware. I am currently using it on my Clip+. I'd get a HiFi-Man in the future but apparently the response is far from flat which, in my personal opinion, is exactly what a source should be.

Dec 13, 2011 at 12:28 PM Post #96 of 364
I don't mean to sound like I have an attitude or anything. On looking at my last post it seems that way. I am just raising an issue for debate is all. :p It just seems like enough amps, cans, speakers, IEM's, etc are coloured enough as it is. Shouldn't a player just be flat and provide and on-board equalizer for the user to change the sound as they please? I mean, if it was an iPod which may be used by someone who doesn't know much about audio then an equalizer may not be needed. 

But an expensive product like the hifiman seems like it would be purchased by someone who knows how to use an equalizer. Working from a flat reference point just seems more logical imo. 

Dec 13, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #97 of 364
Oh I didn't think you had an attitude at all and my answer was dead serious. I love the sound of both the HM801 and the HM601 but will readily accept that they are nowhere near flat. Anyway personally I don't care if something is flat or not, what matters is that I like the way it sounds as I can't really be bothered to fiddle with eq even if a useable eq was available. And I don't think these HiFiMan players are things many use external amps together with.

Dec 13, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #98 of 364
Every DAC, amp and headphone has its own sound signature. There is no more an absolute neutral component than there is an absolute neutral eye.  (How is your IR  vision these days?). 

Dec 13, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #99 of 364

Quote:
No it's lovely far from flat so probably not for you

Quote:

Peace, guys. HM-602 has pretty flat LO ("what a source should be") and "lovely far from flat" HO. This how I hear it and I like this. All my portables benefit from HM-602 HO warmth, so I prefer it unamped over Meier Move, which is quite an amp. With HD650 (at home) LO > Move plays better and pretty flat to me, but not much better, sometimes I am too lazy to add an amp, IC, etc. Then I listen  "fat" (not "flat") or "fun" sound. Good thing is that HM-602 has actually 3 signatures:
  1. LO - neutral, I use it with HD650 (amped)
  2. HO high gain - fun, I use it with RE262 and PortaGold (see sig)
  3. HO low gain - fat, M2C

This is what I like about HM-602, versatility.

Dec 13, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #101 of 364

Quote:
Can you discuss it now?!

Basically is he saying they will not do any further work on the firmware? I sure hope that's not the case. I was spoiled by the speed and responsiveness of the RB 601. Just would like to have stability and all the features the 601 originally had (battery life).

Dec 21, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #102 of 364
If anyone is still using Rockbox on the 801 and would like to copy over their iTunes Playlists then this works well:

http://www.ericdaugherty.com/dev/itunesexport/

I have it set to M3U Playlist and to also copy the files from the iTunes Music folders

Dec 25, 2011 at 6:48 AM Post #105 of 364
I really don't see why these minor bugs cant be fixed. I mean since they managed to even get the firmware to run the Hifiman (that is the biggest hurdle conquered). I mean the possibility to get the 601s weakness fixed just may get me to hang onto it after I've received my Studio-V (which I think will crush the 601 honestly).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back