Rock & Metal: Beyer vs. Grado sound signature
Jul 17, 2012 at 2:04 AM Post #16 of 22
In my opinion, mids are everything. Good solid bass and treble are just the assistants to the mids. The Shure SE535 IEM's for example pretty much are all mids, with a nice lower end, and a treble cutoff and that IEM has a cult following these days.

If you want a mid-centric headphone 

HD600
HD580
HE-400
HD-650 (going to be rather warm, still works for rock for guitar distortion)
Denon D5000
Beyer DT-880

Those are all roughly around $300-400 and I could roll a dice and be happy with all of those for their own reason.

Grados have a hot treble (LOVE IT) and rich fuzzy mids, with sort of a sharp bass signature. Bass drum and snare both register as snaps instead of thuds/booms. Thats what they mean by fast bass.

Jul 17, 2012 at 2:55 AM Post #17 of 22
In my opinion, mids are everything. Good solid bass and treble are just the assistants to the mids. The Shure SE535 IEM's for example pretty much are all mids, with a nice lower end, and a treble cutoff and that IEM has a cult following these days.

If you want a mid-centric headphone 

HD600
HD580
HE-400
HD-650 (going to be rather warm, still works for rock for guitar distortion)
Denon D5000
Beyer DT-880

Those are all roughly around $300-400 and I could roll a dice and be happy with all of those for their own reason.

Grados have a hot treble (LOVE IT) and rich fuzzy mids, with sort of a sharp bass signature. Bass drum and snare both register as snaps instead of thuds/booms. Thats what they mean by fast bass.

I don't know, I hear "thuds" with my RS-1, but with the SR-60 would agree with "snap" - neither can do the long pipe like the 950s though, so they certainly want for extension. I think the HD 580s are a good suggestion, shame they're gone. PRO2900 and HFI-2400 are also worth a glance.

Jul 17, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #18 of 22
Quote:
I don't know, I hear "thuds" with my RS-1, but with the SR-60 would agree with "snap" - neither can do the long pipe like the 950s though, so they certainly want for extension. I think the HD 580s are a good suggestion, shame they're gone. PRO2900 and HFI-2400 are also worth a glance.

The RS series are completely different than the SR. I understand it's a continuation of the same tone, but the RS series are a bigger sound in general haha.

Well you can buy a used HD600 for the same price as HD580 they're going down in price these days. I don't know that I could recommend Ultrasones but they do seem to be constructed exceptionally well.

HD600 also has removable cables if you want to take a leap of faith into cable-fi.

Jul 19, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #19 of 22
The RS series are completely different than the SR. I understand it's a continuation of the same tone, but the RS series are a bigger sound in general haha.

I'd agree, I just wanted to pipe up that they hold their own when it comes to impact. They get the job done as good as any, and are quite competent across the board. Very textured and tight down low (even the SR-225 can claim this) - quite unlike anything else I've heard actually (you usually get one or the other).

Well you can buy a used HD600 for the same price as HD580 they're going down in price these days. I don't know that I could recommend Ultrasones but they do seem to be constructed exceptionally well.

+1 on the 600 thing. On the Ultrasones - yes they are generally well made, the headband is the weak part (it's also not designed by Ultrasone, it's sourced from parts unknown - I only say this because other manufacturers use the same assembly on their headphones (Beyerdynamic and Skullcandy at least, perhaps others)).

HD600 also has removable cables if you want to take a leap of faith into cable-fi.

So does HFI-2400 and PRO2900, more standard terminations as well (1/8" threaded), maybe others (I think all PROline have the 1/8" removable). :)

Grados have to go back to mfgr (they will actually recable their own cans for you, with whatever you like).

Jul 24, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #20 of 22
I went through SR125 > SR 225i > HF2 then settled with the 880 as it gave me more than enough energy and excitement, but it tamed then hot treble that Grado is known for. I also eventually became disenchanted with the bass capabilities of the Grado sound as I knew it. I am not a bass-head at all, but there just wasn't enough bass to be had. I found the 880 provide just as fast bass as the Grados I have tried, but also more and deeper bass while still being articulate. I would like to try the RS1s, but at that price and after years with Grado I tried the Beyerdyanmic sound and liked it (sorry boboskvich). Before selling my HF2s I spent hours comparing them to the 880s with my integrated SS amp, and my Valhalla, and without much doubt the 880s outperformed the HF2s. It wasn't just rock that I compared, but there was plenty of that in the mix.

Jul 24, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #21 of 22
The Alessandro MS2i (essentially a tuned SR325is) would be another alternative. The MS2i tames the highs a bit while keeping that rocking Grado sound sig.

Been using the MS2i for the past 8 months and loving it (I listen almost exclusively to rock).

Jul 24, 2012 at 8:54 AM Post #22 of 22
Quote:
The Alessandro MS2i (essentially a tuned SR325is) would be another alternative. The MS2i tames the highs a bit while keeping that rocking Grado sound sig.
Been using the MS2i for the past 8 months and loving it (I listen almost exclusively to rock).

The MS2 has always been the tolerable Grado for non-Grado people, a musicians tool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back