RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Jan 27, 2022 at 11:13 AM Post #4,786 of 6,005
Jan 27, 2022 at 11:15 AM Post #4,787 of 6,005
Jan 27, 2022 at 11:20 AM Post #4,788 of 6,005
Oh folks, I got a post for y'all that is just great fun. On a Polish forum, a guy A/B tested the RME ADI-2 vs a dCS Debussy, which is a >$10k DAC, and was not able to discern them. Here is the translation: https://www-audiostereo-pl.translat..._x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp#comment-5101836
It doesn't mean an awful lot, if one person can't hear a difference between the RME and a dCS DAC.
Some people can't hear a difference between two headphones, some can't hear a difference between amps, some can't hear a difference between DACs, some can't hear a difference between DAC filters...
Blind testing ourselves would be a more interesting idea, but again that is only helpful to the individual to discover their own limits.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2022 at 11:30 AM Post #4,789 of 6,005
Oh folks, I got a post for y'all that is just great fun. On a Polish forum, a guy A/B tested the RME ADI-2 vs a dCS Debussy, which is a >$10k DAC, and was not able to discern them. Here is the translation: https://www-audiostereo-pl.translat..._x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp#comment-5101836
Nice post. These findings are what will happen 99.9% of the time in blind listening tests. As long as you have a 'good' DAC they are going to sound the same. Once you reach 'good' then it is all about which DAC has the features you need. The RME ADI-2 DAC (and PRO) have reached 'good' (great really). Their feature set is what makes them the very best DACs available to me.

Once you have reached 'good'. All of these "hi-end" or "TOTL" DACs will sound EXACTLY the same in blind testing. The differences in these DACs are barely measurable and not audible. Even with different power supplies. In a double BLIND test, they are all 'the best'. Even professional audio engineers with decades of experience and trained ears can not RELIABLY and CONSISTENTLY tell the difference. Then if some can get lucky and say 'this one is different' it is usually because the DAC filters are a little different and this will effect the treble volume perception very slightly (1-2 db). Then on the next blind test, with the same conditions, they will have a different result. Why? Because they basically all sound the same. Spend your money on headphones (or speakers) and amplifiers not DACs, unless you need certain features in the DAC.

If you are someone who claims you can tell the difference? Double blind test or it did not happen. Signed- Not an audiophile.

Jan 27, 2022 at 11:36 AM Post #4,790 of 6,005
Not trying to start a firestorm here, as I know there are some mighty strong opinions on similar topics, but is anyone using any auxiliary components with their ADI-2? I've read that an upgraded power supply isn't necessary given the ADI's is excellent, but yet many people seem to use various units (teddy pardo, sboosters, etc). What about USB products, like UpTone ISO Regan or something as expensive as a Pink Faun USB Bridge?

My source is a desktop PC, which may be inferior to a streaming device, so just curious if there are benefits to be had.

Jan 27, 2022 at 11:42 AM Post #4,791 of 6,005
Nice post. These findings are what will happen 99.9% of the time in blind listening tests. As long as you have a 'good' DAC they are going to sound the same. Once you reach 'good' then it is all about which DAC has the features you need. The RME ADI-2 DAC (and PRO) have reached 'good' (great really). Their feature set is what makes them the very best DACs available to me.

Once you have reached 'good'. All of these "hi-end" or "TOTL" DACs will sound EXACTLY the same in blind testing. The differences in these DACs are barely measurable and not audible. Even with different power supplies. In a double BLIND test, they are all 'the best'. Even professional audio engineers with decades of experience and trained ears can not RELIABLY and CONSISTENTLY tell the difference. Then if some can get lucky and say 'this one is different' it is usually because the DAC filters are a little different and this will effect the treble volume perception very slightly (1-2 db). Then on the next blind test, with the same conditions, they will have a different result. Why? Because they basically all sound the same. Spend your money on headphones (or speakers) and amplifiers not DACs, unless you need certain features in the DAC.

If you are someone who claims you can tell the difference? Double blind test or it did not happen. Signed- Not an audiophile.
I have gone through many forums but many stated dacs sound different. For instance take RME ADI 2 vs Halo May or Rokna Wavelight, are there actually difference in sound quality ? Because I am even happy with $300 dacs.

Jan 27, 2022 at 11:46 AM Post #4,792 of 6,005
Not trying to start a firestorm here, as I know there are some mighty strong opinions on similar topics, but is anyone using any auxiliary components with their ADI-2? I've read that an upgraded power supply isn't necessary given the ADI's is excellent, but yet many people seem to use various units (teddy pardo, sboosters, etc). What about USB products, like UpTone ISO Regan or something as expensive as a Pink Faun USB Bridge?

My source is a desktop PC, which may be inferior to a streaming device, so just curious if there are benefits to be had.
I have posted this in the thread before. Makes for a very good read. I use a battery pack on mine for portability, not for sound improvements, as it does not effect the sound at all.

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2019/07/measurements-switching-power-supplies.html

Jan 27, 2022 at 11:58 AM Post #4,793 of 6,005

Nice write up! This is why I went with the RME ADI-2. I wanted a really good DAC that would be good enough for pretty much everything, and having a parametric EQ at the DAC level as well makes it just an unbeatable package.

Jan 27, 2022 at 12:01 PM Post #4,794 of 6,005
This is why I went with the RME ADI-2. I wanted a really good DAC that would be good enough for pretty much everything, and having a parametric EQ at the DAC level as well makes it just an unbeatable package.
Yep, over 300 pages and everybody who bought it has the same opinion :)

Not unbeatable, but certainly unbeatable at the price.

Jan 27, 2022 at 12:21 PM Post #4,795 of 6,005

I use an IFI iPower X 12v mainly because it helps keep my cables neat (didn't want another box lying around on the floor) and it works well with my standing desk. No audible difference that I noticed vs. stock power supply but I like the way it looks and fits better in my setup. If you're looking for audible improvements by upgrading power then, in my opinion, save your money. I have no regrets getting the iPower X but I also was not expecting to be able to hear a difference.

I rarely use USB to the ADI-2 since I mainly stream from a Node 2i and can't comment on those products you listed. I did try an IFI iPurifier3 due to some noise I was hearing but didn't hear a difference either. Turned out the noise was actually interference from my Linksys Velop wifi router that my IEMs were picking up. Moving the ADI-2 and router farther apart did make an audible difference by eliminating that noise.

Attachments

• IMG_20220127_115953.jpg
    IMG_20220127_115953.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220127_115750.jpg
    IMG_20220127_115750.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Jan 27, 2022 at 12:53 PM Post #4,796 of 6,005

I respectfully disagree because I was able to easily hear the difference between various DACs, especially when moving to the Chord ones. But there is room for all experiences and opinions. Fully agree that other components of the system are often more important.

Question - How come in your signature you have this: "RME ADI-2 DAC FS (V2 AKM4493)". Do you think there's a difference between Sabre and AKM chips?

Jan 27, 2022 at 1:03 PM Post #4,797 of 6,005
I respectfully disagree because I was able to easily hear the difference between various DACs, especially when moving to the Chord ones. But there is room for all experiences and opinions. Fully agree that other components of the system are often more important.

Question - How come in your signature you have this: "RME ADI-2 DAC FS (V2 AKM4493)". Do you think there's a difference between Sabre and AKM chips?
I respectfully disagree. From my post above: If you are someone who claims you can tell the difference? Double blind test or it did not happen.

RE your question about my signature- Answer- I have owned both. This is just accurate information. Probably RME should have named the ESS version V3. that would be easier.

Jan 27, 2022 at 1:17 PM Post #4,798 of 6,005
I respectfully disagree. From my post above: If you are someone who claims you can tell the difference? Double blind test or it did not happen.

RE your question about my signature- Answer- I have owned both. This is just accurate information. Probably RME should have named the ESS version V3. that would be easier.

I did the blind tests as follows in September last year = RME ADI-2 vs Chord Hugo 2, RME ADI-2 vs Chord Hugo TT2, and Chord Hugo 2 vs Chord Hugo TT2. I could tell the difference in each case. I will say that the way I did it was with specific tracks I had chosen for sound tests. But the overall sound signature was clearly identifiable as well. I should redo it with random tracks, but it's not so easy because I am not perfectly setup for it. I need a second person to switch DACs while I step out of the room, etc.

Now, I will say also that I understand your point of view perfectly. I owned the M Scaler and I will confess that in blind tests I did not hear the difference at all. I had to focus on very particular passages in specific tracks to hear the difference and it was subtle, whereas others claim that there is an obvious improvement when the M Scaler is enabled.

So we all hear differently I guess.

Jan 27, 2022 at 1:18 PM Post #4,799 of 6,005

I do not think you need exceptional ears to hear the difference between a Chord TT2 and the ADI2 for example. But this DAC debate is just one of those eternal ones on Head-Fi that won't lead anywhere, so I leave it at that. :deadhorse:

Jan 27, 2022 at 1:18 PM Post #4,800 of 6,005
I hear differences in all my DACs. You don't need a double blind test because everybody hears what he hears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back