RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Dec 14, 2020 at 6:10 PM Post #3,631 of 5,992
Dec 14, 2020 at 6:26 PM Post #3,632 of 5,992
Dec 15, 2020 at 12:55 AM Post #3,633 of 5,992
Sweet! I am getting a M&K V-76 Subwoofer to test, hope it sound decent paired with my Focal Shape 65 active monitors. Lucky I can adjust the low pass filter on the monitors to send all lows to that borg cube to to the work. That thing is huge!
The RCA output is 6dB quieter so make sure to change your gain accordingly!

Dec 15, 2020 at 2:01 AM Post #3,634 of 5,992
Dec 15, 2020 at 3:44 AM Post #3,636 of 5,992
The sub can adjust -/+ 6dB and is quite oversized for pairing with my fairly small monitors. Hopefully I will be able to adjust the system to sound acceptable.
Make sure to check the input sensitivity of the sub, it's consumer focused and your (absolutely lovely) monitors are pro. I'd recommend matching your gain, it's pretty important to getting a consistent room response.

Also, your monitors have a low-pass filter which is really useful as you can set it to the max frequency of your sub so there is little overlap

I personally use Focal Alpha 80 studio monitors, with a KRK 12s-HO sub with my ADI-2 Pro. With mine the output runs through the sub before going to the surrounds so that it can integrate properly.

Focal makes absolutely lovely monitors, I'm glad you've also got an RME and Focal setup!

Dec 16, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #3,637 of 5,992
I've had the RME ADI-2 DAC now for a couple months and am over the moon in love with this piece of hardware. I was looking for an upgrade to my 2 year old Schiit Modi Multi bit and stumbled on the RME. At first I wrote it off due to the high cost, but was able to finally find one on the Sale/Trade section on headfi. I LOVE the IEM output, it's silent with even the most sensitive IEMs, just as advertised.

I also just upgraded my computer speaker system from a 15 year old Klipsch 2.1 system that can still be bought, to a Monoprice Stage Right 5" powered monitor speakers via XLR, plus an old 8" Reference Klipsch sub via RCA I had sitting in the corner. It's so nice to have everything controlled from the RME unit, switching from headphones, IEMs and to speakers was a pain having to use the windows interface, but now I just have to unplug my headphones or IEMs. Its rendered by 789 useless.

Dec 17, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #3,638 of 5,992
I'm joining the owners club too! Got the unit also on the second hand market and after using an EL Amp with a Schiit Loki equalizer changing to a single box solution that even does the DAC better than anything I own, adding nerdy but super cool screen with visualisation, makes me a happy man! No idea how this unit can be even better yet, it drives my W3000ANV's beautifully so I'm looking forward for some listening sessions during the Christmas holiday!

Only thingy I notice is that the power connector is very wobbly and can lose connection with the slightest movement. It's not a biggy since it's not a portable unit, but due to the usb connection, that I use to connect it my phone which does move around obviously, being near the power connection I've lost power once or twice while operating my phone. Do more people experience this?

Dec 17, 2020 at 2:31 PM Post #3,639 of 5,992
I'm joining the owners club too! Got the unit also on the second hand market and after using an EL Amp with a Schiit Loki equalizer changing to a single box solution that even does the DAC better than anything I own, adding nerdy but super cool screen with visualisation, makes me a happy man! No idea how this unit can be even better yet, it drives my W3000ANV's beautifully so I'm looking forward for some listening sessions during the Christmas holiday!

Only thingy I notice is that the power connector is very wobbly and can lose connection with the slightest movement. It's not a biggy since it's not a portable unit, but due to the usb connection, that I use to connect it my phone which does move around obviously, being near the power connection I've lost power once or twice while operating my phone. Do more people experience this?
Welcome.
The power connector requires a twist to lock it in.

Dec 17, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #3,640 of 5,992
Welcome.
The power connector requires a twist to lock it in.
^
This. Common question. When I got mine I was afraid I was gonna break the PSU plug since it didn't want to seat. Turn and lock, those RME guys thought of everything! :)

Dec 17, 2020 at 4:56 PM Post #3,641 of 5,992
After a few days of using RME, however, I find that the better configuration is RME + Burson Soloist mk2. At first I liked the built-in amplifier more, but now I change my mind :) Talk about a combination with akg812. Although I also think that the built-in amplifier is more accurate and precise.

Dec 17, 2020 at 6:08 PM Post #3,642 of 5,992
After a few days of using RME, however, I find that the better configuration is RME + Burson Soloist mk2. At first I liked the built-in amplifier more, but now I change my mind :) Talk about a combination with akg812. Although I also think that the built-in amplifier is more accurate and precise.

Tube amp /warm euphonic SS amp with the RME ADI-2 DAC makes the perfect compliment to me... not a fan of 'reference' neutrality in a setup. Both my Project Polaris and the Project Ember II add that extra solidity and life to the sound that I love. Was listening to Senri Kawaguchi's 'CIDER' album last night on my new Denon AH-D5200 (with Yaxi TH610 Alcantara pads) .... playing the CD from Xbox One -> RME ADI-2 -> Project Ember with Reflector 6H23n-EB tube.... was quite an experience that would be best described as listening to STAX L700 combined with Fostex TH-X00 Purpleheart... precision, speed, finesse, fine detail/intonation information, extraordinary separation, absolute low end power, full/solid sound, and beautiful musicality....

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2020 at 6:30 PM Post #3,643 of 5,992
Tube amp /warm euphonic SS amp with the RME ADI-2 DAC makes the perfect compliment to me... not a fan of 'reference' neutrality in a setup. Both my Project Polaris and the Project Ember II add that extra solidity and life to the sound that I love. Was listening to Senri Kawaguchi's 'CIDER' album last night on my new Denon AH-D5200 (with Yaxi TH610 Alcantara pads) .... playing the CD from Xbox One -> RME ADI-2 -> Project Ember with Reflector 6H23n-EB tube.... was quite an experience that would be best described as listening to STAX L700 combined with Fostex TH-X00 Purpleheart... precision, speed, finesse, fine detail/intonation information, extraordinary separation, absolute low end power, full/solid sound, and beautiful musicality....
[/ZACYTOWAĆ]

This soloist has something of a tube sound to it. I agree with you and I think RME can connect well with the lamp. I think next week I will have the opportunity to listen to it in a lamp configuration :)

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2020 at 3:29 PM Post #3,644 of 5,992
get a r2r dac better. This is just a ton of features into a cheap delta sigma dac.
My 2 cents...
I bought the Denafrips Pontus - which is supposed to be a big step up from the Ares II - and I put away my RME ADI-2.... 3 months later I decided to connect the RME and run a few tests against the Pontus. I have a Headamp GS-X Mini connected to the Pontus via XLR and I also connected the RME via RCA to the GS-X Mini and with just 1 switch I could do A/B with the Pontus. I am the kind that NEVER hears any difference when I change amps or DACs so I was not expecting to hear much of a difference... oh boy, was I wrong!!! Switching between the RME and the Pontus was very, very different. The Pontus trimmed out the highs notably, all sounds seemed to be a bit muffled compared to the RME which sounded brighter, more detailed, crispy, alive....etc..... To make this story short.... Pontus is sold., I am back to Delta Sigma DAC.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2020 at 3:44 AM Post #3,645 of 5,992
My 2 cents...
I bought the Denafrips Pontus - which is supposed to be a big step up from the Ares II - and I put away my RME ADI-2.... 3 months later I decided to connect the RME and run a few tests against the Pontus. I have a Headamp GS-X Mini connected to the Pontus via XLR and I also connected the RME via RCA to the GS-X Mini and with just 1 switch I could do A/B with the Pontus. I am the kind that NEVER hears any difference when I change amps or DACs so I was not expecting to hear much of a difference... oh boy, was I wrong!!! Switching between the RME and the Pontus was very, very different. The Pontus trimmed out the highs notably, all sounds seemed to be a bit muffled compared to the RME which sounded brighter, more detailed, crispy, alive....etc..... To make this story short.... Pontus is sold., I am back to Delta Sigma DAC.

I got the RME when I found my TASCAM CD-200BT had a horrible analog out. I had used a Sony CD player before and thought it was great.
I had absolutely no idea how bad it was until I listened thru the RME fed with the coax digital out from the TASCAM. It was appalling and exhilarating
at the same time. Nuance and detail emerged that I had never heard before. And the RME was flat in frequency response. The Sony was not.
I bought the Sony CD player in 1990. It had a vastly inferior and pedestrian AD convertor...I never knew. Until I used the RME...my goodness
it was a revelation. I want the most accurate reproduction possible as well as the ability to EQ or bass/treble on some poor recordings.
The RME excels at this. I completely understand what you mean when you say it is more alive. It really is reference grade.

I use my RME to drive my amp/speakers too. It is fantastic for that too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back