RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Nov 23, 2020 at 10:00 AM Post #3,571 of 6,034
Thanks for asking.

There are two methods of using external amps with the RME ADI-2 DAC fs. I’m using the method to retain volume control on the DAC. I am using balanced XLR out on the RME to balanced XLR in on the RNHP.

If you want to use ADI-2's digital volume control, ADI-2 DAC / (Pro) has a clever option that increases the usable dynamic range by 18 / (20) dB: "Auto Reference Level":

• Switch ON ADI-2's "Auto Reference Level".
• Set ADI-2 DAC's (Pro's)volume control to -18 / (-20)dBr.
• Set ext. amp's volume control slightly above your normal listening level.
• Use ADI-2's volume control to set the final listening level.

Now ADI-2 automatically selects the reference level that fits best to your loudness demands, while maximizing it's DAC's dynamic range.

I basically use method 1 setting the DAC to 0db and then trimming my amp gain to a listenable level (auto ref engaged). I am now trying the second method you listed. With the DAC volume 20db lower I added gain from the amp and will let that be the setting for now

the only perceived benefit the way I previously had it set up was with the DAC set to 0db as the max I had little chance of a power slam to my speakers.

thanks for the follow up

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #3,572 of 6,034
on paper is one thing. In my ears is another. The RNHP is sounding heavenly with my Planars so far. They know what they’re doing :wink:
Unless you compare it to how they sound out of the RME it doesn't contradict what I said :wink:

Nov 23, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #3,574 of 6,034
That’s what I mean, A/B testing x|x RME and RNHP. I’m happy with it.

What external amp would you choose for your RME if you had to choose one for Planars?
Ok in that case that is very good news :)

I run a Lyr 2 off my RME which does a pretty good job and has tons of power. I don't think it's a great amp and the stock tubes lack clarity. With some upgraded tubes it is much better than stock. I guess a very powerful solid state amp that can supply plenty of current would be a good match for planars generally. GSX-mini, Bryston, and Violectric V28X could be candidates.

But, the RME by itself is surprisingly good with LCD-2C for example. And with other headphones like Fostex (but not TxxRP) the RME is also killer by itself.

Nov 23, 2020 at 12:07 PM Post #3,575 of 6,034
httpswww.rme-audio.dedownloadsadi2dac_e.pdf.pngWould this setting be proper for the rca outs to powered Audioengine 5 speakers?

Nov 23, 2020 at 1:23 PM Post #3,576 of 6,034
httpswww.rme-audio.dedownloadsadi2dac_e.pdf.pngWould this setting be proper for the rca outs to powered Audioengine 5 speakers?
Unless you have volume control on your speakers and want to use that, you better start the RME low (around -55 dB) turn the Audioengine to near max, and control volume from the RME.

I would be interested to know how you like those speakers, I was considering getting a set but the distributor in that area of the world doesn't have the bamboos.

Nov 23, 2020 at 3:52 PM Post #3,577 of 6,034
Is it necessary to set & lock the RME output to get the best possible performance? I continue to tweak the outputs of my RME and V280 amp seeking the best synergy and sound between them. Does the physical act of locking of the RME do anything specific to the actual sound?
Locking is recommended only for convenience . Setting output levels (within device tolerable range) only measurably effects signal to noise ratio and in the RME even at worst case s/n is well below audible .

Nov 23, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #3,578 of 6,034
It depends on the amp. Some amps like to be driven hard and they will sound better when operated that way. It doesn't depend on the RME, it depends on the amp in those cases.

Nov 23, 2020 at 5:24 PM Post #3,579 of 6,034
Unless you have volume control on your speakers and want to use that, you better start the RME low (around -55 dB) turn the Audioengine to near max, and control volume from the RME.

I would be interested to know how you like those speakers, I was considering getting a set but the distributor in that area of the world doesn't have the bamboos.
I am using the volume control on the A5+. They are not monitors but they have great bass and suit a desk environment well. Mine are white lacquer.

Nov 24, 2020 at 5:17 AM Post #3,580 of 6,034
I am using the volume control on the A5+. They are not monitors but they have great bass and suit a desk environment well. Mine are white lacquer.
Thanks. I have passive monitors in one of my setups and they lack bass. I liked the looks of the Audioengine and I don't have a good amp in the setup I was thinking of using them in.

If you have volume control then run the RME at 0 dB fixed output level and control the volume on the speakers.

Nov 24, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #3,581 of 6,034
Anyone with an RME ADI-2 Pro using the balanced mode to power headphones? I just picked up an Silver Dragon adapter from Moon Audio and the power, details, dynamics and clarity are significantly improved. Bass hits so hard with so much definition on my Ether 2's.

Nov 24, 2020 at 11:10 AM Post #3,582 of 6,034
I don't have the Pro version but I'm sure a lot of headphones are driven better with more power, given the amp section is not a barnstormer.

There is a separate thread for the Pro btw.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #3,583 of 6,034
Thanks. I have passive monitors in one of my setups and they lack bass. I liked the looks of the Audioengine and I don't have a good amp in the setup I was thinking of using them in.

If you have volume control then run the RME at 0 dB fixed output level and control the volume on the speakers.
Can you clarify 0dB output ? Is that
1. ref +1 vol -1 , = 0.7v
2. ref auto and vol 0 =3.4v

Nov 24, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #3,584 of 6,034
I don't have the Pro version but I'm sure a lot of headphones are driven better with more power, given the amp section is not a barnstormer.

There is a separate thread for the Pro btw.
Thanks, found it.

Nov 24, 2020 at 7:12 PM Post #3,585 of 6,034
That’s what I mean, A/B testing x|x RME and RNHP. I’m happy with it.

What external amp would you choose for your RME if you had to choose one for Planars?
I've been using the ADI-2 DAC going XLR-out paired to a THX AAA 789 amp for about two years. I mostly use the balanced-out headphone connector on the amp and the power works very well for planars. Tubes/hybrid tube amps are hit or miss with planars in my experience. The xDuoo-T20 I currently use has plenty of power and pairs well with my HE-4XX and Aivas but sounds odd with the LCD2C and Ether CX. And dynamics sound nice as expected on the hybrid amp with US-NOS tubes.
My settings are somewhat similar to the 2nd method you mentioned earlier with Auto-Ref on. I noticed if I adjust the RME's volume knob the numbers tend to skip around a bit? Is that the auto-ref self adjusting? So now I leave the RME volume alone and just make the slight volume adjustments on the THX while it is set on mid-gain.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back