RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Dec 5, 2019 at 8:26 AM Post #1,801 of 6,038
My headphones are HD650's so I have to think if the amp part of the RME is causing the hot treble. Maybe its something else in the chain, the source, the cable etc. I had the same issue with Oppo HA2 SE that uses ESS9018 chip, at times the treble was very hot with some tracks, but since I removed the stock psu from the internet modem with a linear psu the treble is silky smooth now, harshness is almost completly gone.

Thank you both for the advice, the only way I can know for sure is if I give RME a try, everyone has different tastes when it comes to audio. If I get the RME will give an update with my impressions.

Just wanted to say that I run my HD-600 and HD-650 with the ADI-2 and, personally, I do not hear any hot treble. Compared to the m900 and Mojo, the Sennheisers are clearer (not bright) and with a bit more impact on the RME.

Dec 5, 2019 at 10:05 AM Post #1,802 of 6,038
I’ve never got the notion of hot treble from the RME. I also wouldn’t describe the sound as soft/silky. The AMP portion of the RME is not going to be as refined and crisp as the actual output of the DAC due to its limitations as an amp, but if hooked up to something revealing like a THX amp, I don’t think the RME is not soft at all, but also not harsh in the least. Compared to Schiit Multibit (not Sabre obviously but still), the RME is more refined and crisp.

Dec 5, 2019 at 11:06 AM Post #1,803 of 6,038
Interesting. I have fibre so less problems I imagine though it goes through a router? But will look hook straight to my pc just for fun. I also tried some with my Audio GD reference 9 but have not really dig deep to it yet. But there I can set sample rates in windows and is not looked at 96. It don´t have a display though like the rme showing what bitrate I actually run.

I would definitely recommend running the RME off USB. Optical and coax cut off at 24/192. I use Foobar to play SACD rips and USB can do DSD easily.

I don't dislike AKM sound, I really love transparency, and ESS chips give that with added brightness, but probably implementation is more important on the sound then the DAC chip itself. Also I think RME has the best implemented AKM chip to date, so I ought to give it a try and see if I like it.

That's so good to hear, if RME is more clear then the Oppo 205 it means implementation is more important. There is a youtube video with a sound demo comparing RME and XDUOO XD05 with Fostex TH909 headphones, both with AKM 4490 chips, but imo they sound totally different, RME is transparent and the Xduoo is exactly as I would describe the silky sound.

You can surely brighten up the RME because it has DSP EQ. I did not mean to say the RME is clearer or better in any way than the Oppo. I have not tried to make a critical comparison. The Oppo 205 is deadly clear. But the RME has impressed me as being extremely musical yet not coloring anything.

My headphones are HD650's so I have to think if the amp part of the RME is causing the hot treble. Maybe its something else in the chain, the source, the cable etc. I had the same issue with Oppo HA2 SE that uses ESS9018 chip, at times the treble was very hot with some tracks, but since I removed the stock psu from the internet modem with a linear psu the treble is silky smooth now, harshness is almost completly gone.

The Audeze LCD-2C I have gets along superbly with the RME. The HD 25s were out of this world considering what they are. I think some headphones just get along better with certain amps. I have several other headamps but I haven't tried to run the RME into them.

Thank you both for the advice, the only way I can know for sure is if I give RME a try, everyone has different tastes when it comes to audio. If I get the RME will give an update with my impressions.

Agreed.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2019 at 11:10 AM Post #1,804 of 6,038
Only responsible for the first quote :)

Dec 5, 2019 at 11:12 AM Post #1,805 of 6,038
Dec 5, 2019 at 11:45 AM Post #1,806 of 6,038
I would definitely recommend running the RME off USB. Optical and coax cut off at 24/192. I use Foobar to play SACD rips and USB can do DSD easily.

Whoa! I wasn't aware of optical and coax being limited. Good to know.

Dec 5, 2019 at 1:30 PM Post #1,807 of 6,038
I've been eyeing the RME for quite some time now. Was so close to buying it but it went out of stock for version 2 updating, so no regrets here. The reason I still don't have it is I'm a bit afraid of the AKM sound. All the DAC's I've owned with this chip tend to soften the music somewhat, like wrapping it up in some kind of 'silk', that I dislike very much, it takes the 'bite' from the music, unlike ESS that deliver it straight to your face. I know it can be the different implementations of the DAC's I've had and maybe RME is perfectly transparent, no idea, if I decide to buy it will see if that's the case or not.

I see there is talk about CD vs Tidal, and I'd like to share my experience regarding internet PC streaming. My modem is with fiber optics from outside, so that means no electrical noise is traveling from outside to my PC. The modem is powered by a cheap switching mode PSU. I looked at the specs for the PSU and got a Linear Power Supply, nothing fancy, a 90 Euro one to see if there is a difference. And the difference was so massive that those have to be the best money I've spent on any audio upgrade so far. All the harshness from my music is gone, everything sounds amazing. You can try this yourself before buying the linear PSU, load a song, play it and while its playing unplug the modem and see if there is a difference. For me it was, but not all modems are the same and it's best to test it out. I don't even have to try CD anymore since streaming is so easy, every song at your finger tips, and now with the harshness gone I can't really find anything bad about it.
It's not chip sound but it's implementation I have three akm dacs and rme sounds the softest. It's also not amp HP section becouse I run them into high end amp. I use rme only for speakers or cans that I know are too analitical.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2019 at 9:47 PM Post #1,809 of 6,038
It's not chip sound but it's implementation I have three akm dacs and rme sounds the softest. It's also not amp HP section becouse I run them into high end amp. I use rme only for speakers or cans that I know are too analitical.

What filter do you use? I was using the slow filter, but found that others firmed up the dynamics and transient attack, I guess meaning that in my system the slow filter sounds relatively softer/less punchy I've settled on SD slow filter as the best sounding in my system.

I run Adi 2 DAC directly into Mackie hr624 MK2 speakers and it sounds great. It replaced a chord Qutest as I need the EQ to correct some bass modes in my room.

Dec 6, 2019 at 2:00 AM Post #1,810 of 6,038
I think you could probably spend a lot of time listening to one album or one track and pick the best filter for it. I'm leaving mine on the default because it is a good default and anyway I don't like to spend time monkeying with settings. But I admit the other night when my HD 600s were drilling holes in my skull from treble I found Slow help tame it. But not enough...so off to the headphone shop we go :D

Dec 6, 2019 at 2:11 AM Post #1,811 of 6,038
What filter do you use? I was using the slow filter, but found that others firmed up the dynamics and transient attack, I guess meaning that in my system the slow filter sounds relatively softer/less punchy I've settled on SD slow filter as the best sounding in my system.

I run Adi 2 DAC directly into Mackie hr624 MK2 speakers and it sounds great. It replaced a chord Qutest as I need the EQ to correct some bass modes in my room.
I use sharp and SD sharp, becouse they have best dynamics and timbre, but with something like your speakers I would be using slow or NOS.

Dec 9, 2019 at 2:44 PM Post #1,812 of 6,038
I am starting to investigate the settings for this. I am not a tweaker so it´s really quite scary. I have this manual https://www.archiv.rme-audio.de/download/adi2dac_e.pdf

Now is there a rme adi-2 for dummies :D

I played with the balance controls and just that was quite effective and had very much the desired effect. I put treble to +6 and it really did bring the flutes forward listening to Dana Dragomir. I thought they where a bit recessed on my current headphones. I don´t see exactly which frequencies is adjusted by treble vs bass controls? Does treble also include the midrange?
Next step is understanding how to use the equalizer. I do have a behringer deq 2496 but it´s redundant by now I suppose? Dunno if it´s easier to operate it has even more knobs but it´s cool since it also got a microphone. There is a reason I never used it...

https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro//report/hp/kennerton/kennerton-magni/kennerton-magni_def.png
with such a frequency response how would you eq it in the rme with the goal neutrality?

Dec 9, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #1,813 of 6,038
I guess the obvious thing to do would be to eq in the reverse direction of the frequency response chart with the intent of getting everything to 0.

I tried something similar last night with my new Fostex TR-X00 and it worked pretty well. TBH I still have no clue about how to use the EQ settings. Somebody who actually figured it out could probably do it in 2 minutes.

Dec 9, 2019 at 3:03 PM Post #1,814 of 6,038
Some info from the manual. What mode is recommended?

Band 1. Peak, Shelf, High Cut or High Pass (Low Cut)?
All filters are adjustable from 20 Hz to 20 kHz, at a Q of 0.5 to 9.9. Cut/Pass have a fixed 12 dB/oct filter steepness.

Band 5 Type Available settings are Peak, Shelf or High Cut. High Cut is adjustable from 200 Hz to 20 kHz, at a Q of 0.5 to 5.0 and a fixed 12 dB/oct steepness.

Band 1-5 Q Quality factor is adjustable from 0.5 to 9.9 in bands 1 to 3, and 0.5 to 5.0 in bands 4 and 5, in steps of 0.1 dB. This equals a bandwidth setting of 2.54 (0.5), 0.29 (5.0) and 0.

Also what is safe levels. 6 db increase/decrease max would be considered safe?

Dec 9, 2019 at 3:21 PM Post #1,815 of 6,038
Like I said, I have no idea :frowning2:

I just kept pushing and turning until I got what I wanted :D I had a sense that the headphones had a V and I made the shape in the reverse of what I was hearing and it worked pretty well. It's great that the DAC has the option to turn EQ on and off quickly without losing the setting so you can make a good comparison.

So for the Fostex I was listening to I left the bass alone, I increased the midrange, and decreased the treble just slightly, just watching the curve on the EQ screens.

There is no unsafe level as long as you don't blow your brains out or hear distortion.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back