RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Jun 27, 2019 at 10:53 PM Post #1,411 of 6,034

Sorry but I have a question.

I tried to use the line out from the phone output but the problem is its just a single TRS output from the phone out.

My speaker needs Dual TRS 1/4" to run well.

If I split the single trs signal as shown above in the manual 3.5mm TRS to dual 1/4 inch TS then the sound degradation is too much.

How do you exactly use the phone out to JBL LSR305? Sorry for the trouble as im just into this hobby.

Look at the back of the unit and use either the XLR or SE outputs to your JBLs....why would you use the phone out? That is for headphones...I can’t tell if you are joking or not? Hopefully that helps if not joking

Jun 27, 2019 at 11:07 PM Post #1,412 of 6,034
Look at the back of the unit and use either the XLR or SE outputs to your JBLs....why would you use the phone out?

He explained that in his post.

That is for headphones...I can’t tell if you are joking or not?

That output is both a perfect line and headphone output. I wonder what 'sound degradation is too much' means. Unbalanced will cause 6 dB lower volume, which is no sound degradation at all (raise the volume - fixed). But I have no experience with the specific speakers used, they might have a strange balanced input that causes problems when used unbalanced...

Jun 27, 2019 at 11:31 PM Post #1,413 of 6,034
He explained that in his post.

That output is both a perfect line and headphone output. I wonder what 'sound degradation is too much' means. Unbalanced will cause 6 dB lower volume, which is no sound degradation at all (raise the volume - fixed). But I have no experience with the specific speakers used, they might have a strange balanced input that causes problems when used unbalanced...

Oops, long day at work and my brain is fried...looks like I posted my solution to it already previously anyhow, I use a passive nobsound pre amp with volume control and switching capabilities just press a button and no more sound out of the speakers.

Jul 1, 2019 at 2:41 PM Post #1,414 of 6,034
The features and low noise floor on this thing are really impressive, but the 1/4" headphone out kind of leaves me wanting a little... something. But if I plug it into a tube amp I'll fail my goal of only having one small box on my desk. I'd be totally content if the next firmware update introduced a "warm" or "tube sound" option. Hint hint.

Jul 1, 2019 at 3:08 PM Post #1,415 of 6,034
The features and low noise floor on this thing are really impressive, but the 1/4" headphone out kind of leaves me wanting a little... something. But if I plug it into a tube amp I'll fail my goal of only having one small box on my desk. I'd be totally content if the next firmware update introduced a "warm" or "tube sound" option. Hint hint.

If "warm and tube sound" is what you want for an all in one box, you got the wrong DAC. Look at Woo Audio DAC/amps. Schiit Lyri 3 with the multi bit module is also a possibility.

Jul 1, 2019 at 6:03 PM Post #1,417 of 6,034

Isn't that the "NOS" filter option?

Jul 2, 2019 at 2:52 AM Post #1,418 of 6,034

Hi, may I know how the headphone jack leaves you "wanting a little ... something" ?
Lol... just out of my own curiosity.
I hope you're not using it to drive something like a HE6se or similar!

Jul 2, 2019 at 10:44 AM Post #1,420 of 6,034
Hi, may I know how the headphone jack leaves you "wanting a little ... something" ?
Lol... just out of my own curiosity.
I hope you're not using it to drive something like a HE6se or similar!

I'm driving HD650s and UE 18 Pros. I've just gotten so used to a bit of tube distortion that a flat solid state sound seems to be missing a bit of emotion. I wasn't aware of the NOS filter when I made that post, but now that I've tested it out I don't think it replaces the tube goodness that I'm after.

Jul 2, 2019 at 11:04 AM Post #1,421 of 6,034
The NOS filter won't get you the sound of tubes. The ADI-2 DAC is incapable of producing distortion like a tube amp does.

If you really want to experiment without buying a tube amp, there are some VST plugins out there that do an okay job of it, but they're not great.

If you like the sound of tubes, you need a tube amp. The RME is a blank canvas from which to achieve your preferred sound.

Jul 2, 2019 at 1:23 PM Post #1,422 of 6,034
I'm driving HD650s and UE 18 Pros. I've just gotten so used to a bit of tube distortion that a flat solid state sound seems to be missing a bit of emotion. I wasn't aware of the NOS filter when I made that post, but now that I've tested it out I don't think it replaces the tube goodness that I'm after.

Part of the reason the RME ADI-2 DAC is used for my e-stat rig and not my dynamic/planar rig... simply too neutral & flat as is for my taste. Need warmth and full body sound for my Fostexes and Sennheisers....they simply sound too thin on the ADI-2. Run the ADI-2 as preamp for my estat rig, just need it for its DAC and feature set... have nice, warmish stereo amp with e-stat transformer driving my e-stat's. Using the ADI-2 as DAC/preamp out to a warmish SS/tube amp is a nice combo to run...

Jul 3, 2019 at 3:45 AM Post #1,423 of 6,034
Part of the reason the RME ADI-2 DAC is used for my e-stat rig and not my dynamic/planar rig... simply too neutral & flat as is for my taste. Need warmth and full body sound for my Fostexes and Sennheisers....they simply sound too thin on the ADI-2. Run the ADI-2 as preamp for my estat rig, just need it for its DAC and feature set... have nice, warmish stereo amp with e-stat transformer driving my e-stat's. Using the ADI-2 as DAC/preamp out to a warmish SS/tube amp is a nice combo to run...
Don't be afraid to use the Parametric EQ. You can dial in all the warmth you desire. True you can't dial in second harmonic distortion if that is what you really need.

Jul 3, 2019 at 7:24 AM Post #1,424 of 6,034
Don't be afraid to use the Parametric EQ. You can dial in all the warmth you desire. True you can't dial in second harmonic distortion if that is what you really need.
@technobear is right, i sometimes play with the Para EQ, make headphones that i feel are missing some push in certain ranges and boost it. eg: my H6(gen2) for certain tracks i find miss a bit of warmth so i add a tiny tiny bit.

Jul 3, 2019 at 8:36 AM Post #1,425 of 6,034
@technobear is right, i sometimes play with the Para EQ, make headphones that i feel are missing some push in certain ranges and boost it. eg: my H6(gen2) for certain tracks i find miss a bit of warmth so i add a tiny tiny bit.

What frequencies do you play with to dial up the warmth a bit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back