RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
May 22, 2019 at 1:06 PM Post #1,321 of 5,991
At the risk of getting tarred & feathered in this thread would these USB issues be rectified if RME used an XMOS controller vs their homegrown one? What we be lost?

Considering the measured performance of their proprietary solution and subjective performance, I’d be quite surprised if the xmos is anything but a down grade. Not sure it’s a worthwhile compromise for a few edge cases.

May 22, 2019 at 11:56 PM Post #1,322 of 5,991
I have a new RME ADI-2 DAC and I'm just starting to figure it out. One thing though - the sample rate is not automatically setting based on the source. I have to manually change it in MIDI on the Mac. Based on what I'm reading in the manual it should adapt automatically to the source sample rate. Any advice?

I'm using it with an iMac through Roon, Tidal and Qobuz with a Ruper Neve RNHP headphone amp. TIA!

May 23, 2019 at 12:07 AM Post #1,323 of 5,991
I've noticed in Qobuz it doesn't always change for some songs? Not sure why but it does seem random... It might be Qobuz not sending the right signal maybe? I canceled by Tidal sub, after getting Qobuz Studio so I can't compare there. But I have moved across a range of different tracks with the same, to higher/lower sample rates and some would change to what was listed and others would not... it was consistent with all the tracks it wouldn't Sample correctly though if that helps, also was consistent with tracks that were accurate. Odd bug...

May 23, 2019 at 1:24 AM Post #1,324 of 5,991
Something else I've noticed is that under ASIO/MADIface, the Netflix Windows 10 app won't play (there's an error message) unless you have the sampling rate set to 44,110 Hz. I thought Netflix audio streams were 48,000 Hz, though...

May 23, 2019 at 4:02 AM Post #1,325 of 5,991
I have a new RME ADI-2 DAC and I'm just starting to figure it out. One thing though - the sample rate is not automatically setting based on the source. I have to manually change it in MIDI on the Mac. Based on what I'm reading in the manual it should adapt automatically to the source sample rate. Any advice?

I'm using it with an iMac through Roon, Tidal and Qobuz with a Ruper Neve RNHP headphone amp. TIA!
It's swithing automatically if you completely remove RME driver. But you need newest firmware I think.

EDIT: I just realized you are on Mac, so don't know if it works on Mac too.

Last edited:
May 23, 2019 at 4:39 AM Post #1,326 of 5,991
Something else I've noticed is that under ASIO/MADIface, the Netflix Windows 10 app won't play (there's an error message) unless you have the sampling rate set to 44,110 Hz. I thought Netflix audio streams were 48,000 Hz, though...

If I set it myself higher than 192Khz on windows a lot of apps have issues with that and they don't work. If you set it even higher than that, forgot at what point, but it disappears from sound devices, so most of those bitrates seem good for only apps who can use them and not much else.

May 23, 2019 at 7:10 AM Post #1,327 of 5,991

I use an iMac with Roon qobuz and tidal also. Mine switches automatically. Not sure how I have midi setup will have to look.

May 23, 2019 at 2:56 PM Post #1,328 of 5,991
I updated the firmware but the DAC was already up to date. I've posted this question on the RME forum.

May 23, 2019 at 8:06 PM Post #1,329 of 5,991
The RME dac is amazing value for money and it drives any headphones i have used on it well unlike some of the comments say it doesnt here, trying other stuff in the store i realised the amazing synergy of HD800S and HDV820 i had to take it home. This it for me, i did want to go for a HugoTT2 but no need now im really happy with it. Anyone with the ADI2DAC should be happy they made a great choice, sound quality and amount of features its very good value for money.

Happy listening

Last edited:
May 24, 2019 at 2:39 AM Post #1,330 of 5,991
Would anyone care to help me get my RME and new Cayin iha-6 headphone amp setup properly?

I'm really not sure how to... and to be honest... I'm quite confused about what the reference levels should be going to the amp

I'm not sure if it's the proper way... But I would like to set the amp volume to something permanent while using the volume knob and remote of the rme to control the volume level of the music.

These are the specs of a headphone amp...
Power Rating Single-Ended Headphone:
1100mW+1100mW (High Current, RMS,RL=32Ω)
2200mW+2200mW (Low Current, RMS,RL=32Ω)
Balanced Headphone:
5000mW+5000mW (High Current, RMS,RL=32Ω)
7000mW+7000mW (Low Current, RMS,RL=32Ω)
Frequency Respond 10Hz~80kHz (-0.5dB)
THD+N ≤0.02%(1kHz, RL=32Ω)
S/N Single-Ended Headphone : ≥105dB (A weighted)
Balanced Headphone : ≥110dB (A weighted)
Input Sensitivity 620mV(High Current, High Gain)
Headphone Output 6.35mm TRS x 2
Dual 3pins XLR (Balanced)
4 pins XLR (Balanced)
Max. Power
Consumption
30W

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

May 24, 2019 at 3:41 AM Post #1,331 of 5,991
Would anyone care to help me get my RME and new Cayin iha-6 headphone amp setup properly?

I'm really not sure how to... and to be honest... I'm quite confused about what the reference levels should be going to the amp

I'm not sure if it's the proper way... But I would like to set the amp volume to something permanent while using the volume knob and remote of the rme to control the volume level of the music.

<snip>

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
It's an RTFM problem.

Page 60. Section 31.13. Second paragraph.

May 24, 2019 at 5:44 AM Post #1,332 of 5,991
It's an RTFM problem.

Page 60. Section 31.13. Second paragraph.
Forgive my ignorance... But I did read the manual.

The manual says... With Hi-Fi the setting +7 dBu (equals +4.78 dBV or 1.73 V RMS) is recommended. But the amp's Input Sensitivity is 620mV (equaling -1.93dBu or 4.15 dBV)... At least according to this calculation.

So I'm not sure what you think or to do.

If those calculations are correct.. (which they may not be) What would I set the volume knob on the amp in order to solely control the volume via the rme and its remote?

Last edited:
May 24, 2019 at 6:21 AM Post #1,333 of 5,991
Forgive my ignorance... But I did read the manual.

The manual says... With Hi-Fi the setting +7 dBu (equals +4.78 dBV or 1.73 V RMS) is recommended. But the amp's Input Sensitivity is 620mV (equaling -1.93dBu or 4.15 dBV)... At least according to this calculation.

So I'm not sure what you think or to do.

If those calculations are correct.. (which they may not be) What would I set the volume knob on the amp in order to solely control the volume via the rme and its remote?

There is no rule because it depends on the sensitivity of the device being driven and the level of V RMS the amp can cope with before it starts clipping from overload . My best advice would be to set the RME to +7 dBu volume 0 then adjust your amp to roughly your preferred volume level with the headphones you intend to use . After you have done that you could safely adjust volume using the RME volume by remote . Bare in mind if you go down too far you will lose resolution and up too far gain distortion . Should be ok , just adjust the amp volume so the RME volume is within a relatively narrow range
I believe the 620mV refers to the minimum input required for the amp to produce full output at maximum volume

Last edited:
May 24, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #1,335 of 5,991
From the manual:
Doesn't a low hardware reference level cause a significant increase in noise?

Usually yes - but not with the ADI-2 DAC. Switching the reference levels is done in the analog domain, in hardware. The circuit has been optimized for maximum signal to noise ratio even at the lowest reference level, -5 dBu. Detailed values can be found in chapter 30.2.
Does this imply +13 dBu is perfectly fine to use?

I currently have mine set at -5 dBu with my studio monitors' input sensitivity turned all the way down (-20 dB). My seating position is less than a meter away so I can get away with that, but I've been wondering if anything should be changed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back