RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Apr 28, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #198 of 5,998
Why would you shake it anyway?

lol Exactly my first thought.

Maybe he is using this thing as a portable DAC/amp?

Apr 29, 2018 at 7:57 AM Post #199 of 5,998
Now, my adi2dac is connected to desktop PC.
I am satisfied by the resulting sound quality.
If I want to upgrade the source, can something like Mutec mc3 usb ,Ifi iusb3.0 , Sotm sms 200 or Auralic Aries further improve the final sound quality?
Some people say the adi2dac can immune the incoming noisy usb signal.That make me hesitate to buy these gadgets.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2018 at 8:38 AM Post #200 of 5,998
Now, my adi2dac is connected to desktop PC.
I am satisfied by the resulting sound quality.
If I want to upgrade the source, can something like Mutec mc3 usb ,Ifi iusb3.0 , Sotm sms 200 or Auralic Aries further improve the final sound quality?
Some people say the adi2dac can immune the incoming noisy usb signal.That make me hesitate to buy these gadgets.

I wouldn’t bother, with FS SteadyClock introduced it’s quite far below in jitter compared to USB decrapifiers and is even far below the industrial standard. If anything they will worsen the situation, a remarkable achievement by RME.

May 1, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #201 of 5,998
FYI to save you time here is the download link from RME's USA site....

https://www.rme-usa.com/adi-2-dac.h...drivers/USB/Win/driver_madiface_win_09653.zip

Thanks. Turns out I already have it. I thought there's another driver that get around switching bit rate manually.

And is it really the case that one have to switch things manually, in order for playback to be bit perfect? I know that things still play even without switching anything, but I personally would prefer no resampling (at least not done by the driver).

And what about driver-less sources like mobile devices and disc players? There is no driver with those sources, so how's playback done?

Last edited:
May 1, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #202 of 5,998
The ADI-2 uses the USB Audio Class 2 standard (also known as UAC2, not to be confused with USB 2, the data bus standard). iOS, Android, Linux, and macOS support it out of the box, no manufacturer-provided drivers needed. Microsoft finally added UAC2 support to Windows 10 last year, but that driver does not work with the ADI-2 for mysterious reasons. Whether it was Microsoft or RME who violated the standard more, I do not know. Unfortunately, the official RME driver Windows also sucks: not only does it require awkward sample rate switching, but it also causes dropouts when the unit runs through a (powered) USB hub.

May 1, 2018 at 9:20 PM Post #203 of 5,998
Thanks. Turns out I already have it. I thought there's another driver that get around switching bit rate manually.

And is it really the case that one have to switch things manually, in order for playback to be bit perfect? I know that things still play even without switching anything, but I personally would prefer no resampling (at least not done by the driver).

And what about driver-less sources like mobile devices and disc players? There is no driver with those sources, so how's playback done?

What media application are you using? On JRiver it changes sample rate automatically. I believe it does for me on foobar2000 as well. EDIT: Confirmed that foobar2000 also changes sample rate for me automatically.

Last edited:
May 2, 2018 at 1:57 AM Post #204 of 5,998
What media application are you using? On JRiver it changes sample rate automatically. I believe it does for me on foobar2000 as well. EDIT: Confirmed that foobar2000 also changes sample rate for me automatically.
You just have to use ASIO to get the sample rate to change automatically.

May 2, 2018 at 2:12 AM Post #205 of 5,998
The ADI-2 uses the USB Audio Class 2 standard (also known as UAC2, not to be confused with USB 2, the data bus standard). iOS, Android, Linux, and macOS support it out of the box, no manufacturer-provided drivers needed. Microsoft finally added UAC2 support to Windows 10 last year, but that driver does not work with the ADI-2 for mysterious reasons. Whether it was Microsoft or RME who violated the standard more, I do not know. Unfortunately, the official RME driver Windows also sucks: not only does it require awkward sample rate switching, but it also causes dropouts when the unit runs through a (powered) USB hub.
Do not mislead people with fictitious problems!!!:thumbsdown:
If you installed the USB driver for the Win choose ASIO MADIFACE USB (https://www.rme-usa.com/adi-2-dac.h...drivers/USB/Win/driver_madiface_win_09653.zip) all frequencies are switched perfectly and automatically personally checked (JRIVER, Footbar, TIDAL). Also the frequencies are excellent and automatically switch to Linux system without installing a third-party driver.
P.S. The driver of UAC2 from Win is imperfect and unfinished and when it is not done by Microsoft. Simple proof: MacOS, iOS and Linux work...:thumbsup:
And this will not change. Please use ASIO for automatic sample rate changes.

ASIO also has the advantage to support sample rates above 384 kHz, not screwing up Windows' Audio Enhancements above 192 kHz sample rate, and not needing workarounds to support higher DSD rates by packing more data into half the sample rate (768 kHz = DSD256).

Last edited:
May 2, 2018 at 9:29 AM Post #206 of 5,998

Roon.

EDIT: Got it. Didn't know that rather than RME ADI-2 DAC, I have to pick ASIO MADIFACE USB as source. Now it's bit-perfect playback. Thanks!

Last edited:
May 2, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #208 of 5,998
Just curious if anyone is using this without a PC connection? I’d be using optical and coax and I’m curious if I’d have any issues?
I've just finished watching my first movie with my new ADI-2 DAC and it faultlessly decoded the optical signal from my Panasonic PVR. It just works.

Earlier I spent a couple of hours exploring my music collection with the laptop over USB and even though fresh out of the box, this is one fine sounding DAC (once the NOS filter is engaged) although so far I have only listened through speakers (Rogers LS4a) and a Marantz PM6005. The PEQ is doing a great job sucking out the room boom. Nice musical sound. Not at all 'digital' in NOS mode.

When it has some hours on it, I'll add the LCD-X to see what it can really do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back