RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Apr 9, 2018 at 12:01 AM Post #151 of 5,998
It might be worth posting in the RME forums regarding this concern. RME is typically quite responsive and might provide their reasoning or even make changes in a future driver update.
Thanks. As I noted in my review, I had already contacted RME and asked them to pass on the message to their R&D folks back home.

Apr 9, 2018 at 1:45 AM Post #152 of 5,998
I haven't said something is wrong with their drivers today. I have said that years from now the driver install package may no longer work and they may have no interest in updating it.

You mean like Microsoft?

Right now they have a working UAC2 firmware/class-driver support that works reliably just the same. But for some darn reason they only expose one sample rate.

For some reason you continue to mix up the facts over and over again. Their UAC2 support does not expose one sample rate, but all. That is why

Anyone on Mac or Linux can use the thing without installing drivers.

The question that you try not to throw up is: why doesn't it work without drivers under Windows? Because your former collegues still have problems to add industry-standard level of support for UAC2 into Windows? I'lll gladly answer that for you: YES.

Apr 9, 2018 at 2:05 AM Post #153 of 5,998
Hello friends!

It has gone through many dacs connected to a CD transport (in my case, a Cyrus CDT). When the Cyrus showed signs of starting to fail I decided to park and venture to the direct connection to my Mac Mini through the USB port.
It's been a long time since I stopped testing with dacs and I acquired and I have my reference DAC, a Bel Canto DAC 1.5 (for me, its natural sound capacity is another world)

My team is the following:

Mac Mini end of 2012 (16Gb RAM)
Playback software (upsampling enabled) Mounts 4 luxe (24/88) and Audirvana + (24/96)
Transparent USB Cable Audio Performance
Dac Bel Canto 1.5
JPS Labs interconnect cables
Amplifier Rega Elicit-R
Floor Standing monitors Audiovector SR3 super
Listen to Classical Music and Jazz

I will expose my doubts ...

I want to take advantage of the possibility of uploading the sample up to 192 Kbps of my players (Amarra and Audirvana) since I understand that there is a gain in hearing and I think I have two options:

1) Acquire a USB / SPDIF interface to take advantage of the entry SPDIF Bel Canto that accepts 192 Kbps (it would be the cheapest option, here I need a good interface, maybe Wyred 4 ulink sound + audioquest audio cable) but that represents around of 400 -500 USD spending, between the interface and cable and more things on the desktop ...

2) Buy a new DAC! I am among the 2 options that are within my reach:

Chord 2Qute in 1000 USD but old ... and the new RME ADI-2 DAC in 1000 USD too.

After all this roll that I just told, my big question comes:

Do you think I would get a real improvement with the change of Dac? Which of the 2 seems more views indicated my preferences?

I lean towards the RME because the AK chip that I've always liked a lot when I've listened to it implemented in mini dacs for Iems, versatility (I can connect my audio JH Iems Rosie and Michelle) but I do not know if it's comparable in terms of naturalness and musicality to the signature of Bel Canto.

I know you may tell me, buy a new Bel Canto, but I'm going to budget ... I want to spend 1000 USD maximum to improve and renew, no more or stay as I am if the improvement will not be noticed!

Apr 9, 2018 at 5:38 AM Post #154 of 5,998
I haven't said something is wrong with their drivers today. I have said that years from now the driver install package may no longer work and they may have no interest in updating it. They could also get acquired by another company and team disbanded. This is not a cheap, throwaway DAC to take such chances with it.

Right now they have a working UAC2 firmware/class-driver support that works reliably just the same. But for some darn reason they only expose one sample rate. Anyone on Mac or Linux can use the thing without installing drivers. But on Windows, not only do you have to install drivers, but you also need to make sure your application supports ASIO. There is no sense in that.
I honestly don't see why you all think we are better off with this limitation. Use ASIO all you want. I like to see driverless support for latests versions of Windows that allows bit perfect playback like $20 DACs do.

You yourself are to blame that many did not understand what you wanted to say..:zzz:
I suggest that you make changes to your review adding Roon with ASIO and next Roon with WASAPI and also for and Linux there too as with ASIO.
p.s. And then give the choice to the people that he wants to use ASIO or WASAPI.Ne need to determine for him.

And so your review is certainly excellent if it were not for this one-sided description of the driver. Thank you for reviewing your review with excellent measurements!:L3000::L3000::L3000:

ASIO win10 Roon

Screenshot_2018-04-09-11-54-40.png

WASAPI win10 Roon
90.jpg
Manually set the desired frequency.
icibofgaccojlcoj++.jpg

P.S.
Answer support PME.
Please let us start with correct statements. The driver does support Wasapi in Windows 10. But the driver lacks the capability to let applications change the sample rate, so you have to manually do this in the driver's Settings dialog. This is caused by the driver being capable of multi-channel, multi-client WDM/ASIO operation as well as multi-interface usage. The driver was not designed and built to support just two channels of playback.

And this will not change. Please use ASIO for automatic sample rate changes.

ASIO also has the advantage to support sample rates above 384 kHz, not screwing up Windows' Audio Enhancements above 192 kHz sample rate, and not needing workarounds to support higher DSD rates by packing more data into half the sample rate (768 kHz = DSD256):gs1000smile:

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2018 at 10:47 AM Post #155 of 5,998
Quick question for ADI-2DAC's owners:

Did your unit arrive in plastic wrap? Mine is, but the plastic bag containing the cable is ripped open, with the cable taken out. Also, the DAC is not in its default setting, suggesting someone played with it and put it back in the box. Add to the fact that the seller have four negative feedback over the past 12 months of selling used unit as new, I suspect that they sold me an open-box unit, but then wrap it in plastic and sold it as new.

Sorry for the off-topic question but I would appreciate feedback! Thanks!

Yes...the outer box was completely wrapped/sealed in plastic that I had to remove to get into the box. The cable bag was sealed as well.

Apr 9, 2018 at 12:03 PM Post #156 of 5,998
Quick question for ADI-2DAC's owners:

Did your unit arrive in plastic wrap? Mine is, but the plastic bag containing the cable is ripped open, with the cable taken out. Also, the DAC is not in its default setting, suggesting someone played with it and put it back in the box. Add to the fact that the seller have four negative feedback over the past 12 months of selling used unit as new, I suspect that they sold me an open-box unit, but then wrap it in plastic and sold it as new.

Sorry for the off-topic question but I would appreciate feedback! Thanks!
FWIW I spoke to RME and they said that they will honor the warranty if the unit has been used or not. The warranty is transferable.

Apr 9, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #158 of 5,998
"The warranty is transferable" is the best sound anyone in this hobby can hear. Now I really want one.
I purchased a ADI-2 Pro for a lot less than retail and wanted to make sure it wasn't black market so I contacted RME-USA. Found out it was purchased by a rep for demos and had been used. RME said that they would honor the warranty that was left on the unit.

Apr 9, 2018 at 4:29 PM Post #159 of 5,998
I purchased a ADI-2 Pro for a lot less than retail and wanted to make sure it wasn't black market so I contacted RME-USA. Found out it was purchased by a rep for demos and had been used. RME said that they would honor the warranty that was left on the unit.

I doubt you’ll even need it, RME makes their stuff to last forever, I’ve had some previous RME racks and they lasted years without a single problem whatsoever. Quality control on the units is also outstanding!

Apr 11, 2018 at 7:24 AM Post #160 of 5,998
I'm about to shoot, but I have a fundamental doubt.
My idea is to connect it as my DAC Bel Canto, that is:
Bel Canto unbalanced RCA output is connected to the Rega Elicit-R stereo amplifier integrated by one of its analog RCA inputs and I control the volume from my amplifier.
The Bel Canto I have to have it in fixed output mode and with its volume at 100 (the maximum)
How should I configure the RME?

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2018 at 5:57 PM Post #161 of 5,998
Quick question about ASIO driver: Could someone be so kind to tell me where to get RME's one? I know Asio4All might work, but I also read that RME have their own ASIO driver. Can't find that in their download page, so I wonder if someone can tell me where to get it.

Thanks!

Apr 11, 2018 at 6:11 PM Post #163 of 5,998
Apr 12, 2018 at 1:30 AM Post #165 of 5,998
Can you help me with my question please?

I'm about to shoot, but I have a fundamental doubt.

My idea is to connect it as my DAC Bel Canto, that is:

Bel Canto unbalanced RCA output is connected to the Rega Elicit-R stereo amplifier integrated by one of its analog RCA inputs and I control the volume from my amplifier.

The Bel Canto I have to have it in fixed output mode and with its volume at 100 (the maximum)

I do not want to use the volume of the dac, the route would be mac mini + RME by USB + integrated amplifier Rega Elicit-R connected to the RME by unbalanced RCA and use the volume control of the Rega amplifier (this is what I do now with my Bel Canto with fixed output)

The instructions of Bel Canto:

"Pressing the Fixed / Variable Output switch on the rear panel to the input position sets the DAC1.5 to a fixed output operating mode.

This mode is used when driving an analog preamplifier or an integrated amplifier input. The volume control function is provided by the associated preamplifier or integrated amplifier.

To use the fixed Ouput mode, set the output level to 100.0 for a maximum level of 2 Vrms of the RCA outputs or to the 4 Vrms level for the balanced XLR outputs If you want the outputs to be set to a lower level, adjust the volume control to a lower level, for example, at approximately 2 Vrms from the balanced outputs, set the volume control to 94.0.This represents an output level of approximately 2 Vrms on the balanced outputs When the level is set, press the Fixed / Variable Output button on the rear panel The front panel display now Selected entry. Turning the knob will move to the different inputs and Volume and Mute functions on the remote control will not work."

How should I configure the RME?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back