RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Mar 13, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #5,506 of 6,034
If you want to buy Rme adi 2 Dac fs and not the pro version be aware of the ESS version because many of them have the known soldered cable patch for which noone have never replied officially.

Mar 13, 2023 at 1:23 PM Post #5,507 of 6,034
If you want to buy Rme adi 2 Dac fs and not the pro version be aware of the ESS version because many of them have the known soldered cable patch for which noone have never replied officially.
The AKM versions have sold out long ago. All that's left is the ESS version AFAIK.

Mar 13, 2023 at 2:09 PM Post #5,508 of 6,034
Old news. Early ESS implementation production adjustment. My RME ESS has no cable patch.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2023 at 3:50 PM Post #5,510 of 6,034
Yes but you will never know what you will get from before..

Oh yeah? Well the past is gonna change :wink:

1*xRzwCpVdeVWq8h1W70aiAA.jpeg

Mar 13, 2023 at 4:56 PM Post #5,511 of 6,034
Yes but you will never know what you will get from before..
That is such an old school view of manufacturing! Manufacturers have been using logistics software to build to demand for 30 years now.The days of building too much product are loooong gone!

Mar 13, 2023 at 8:32 PM Post #5,513 of 6,034
The AKM versions have sold out long ago. All that's left is the ESS version AFAIK.
AKM chips have been available for ages, so that must change surely?

Mar 13, 2023 at 9:02 PM Post #5,514 of 6,034
AKM chips have been available for ages, so that must change surely?
Since the factory fire the chips have been back into the market for a few months now. Definitely not ages.

Mar 13, 2023 at 9:05 PM Post #5,515 of 6,034
Since the factory fire the chips have been back into the market for a few months now. Definitely not ages.
And it is expensive to retool an existing line. New product could go back to AKM, doubt they would change current ESS line...

Mar 14, 2023 at 6:18 AM Post #5,516 of 6,034

Months is ages in the DAC world.

Mar 14, 2023 at 4:35 PM Post #5,518 of 6,034
I can't figure out how to change RME remote's battery.
Fingernail in small slot bottom of remote. another fingernail in slot on bottom, small draw opens.

Mar 14, 2023 at 4:36 PM Post #5,519 of 6,034
Fingernail in small slot bottom of remote. another fingernail in slot on bottom, small draw opens.

I had to use a screwdriver or I was gonna break a nail :D

Mar 19, 2023 at 10:51 AM Post #5,520 of 6,034
Hostility and frustration is what you get from engineers who are experts in their field yet are out of their depth when it comes to explaining concepts to customers or "students". I've been on several forums, including the RME one and there is a lot of talking down to customers with phrases like "its obvious" and "didn't you look at the..." etc.

I've been an educator for 20 years and teach robotics and intro to engineering classes to middle schoolers. I am constantly breaking down difficult technical material into easier to understand concepts that young adults can understand. I'm constantly improving my lessons, directions and "product" to be user friendly. When I have had engineers visit or get involved in conversations with my students, they have trouble breaking down the material that they know so well into something that can make sense to the student. These engineers can get frustrated and impatient. They don't realize it but its their own ineptitude, not the student. The best teachers wrestled with understanding the content themselves once.

It is clear to me that RME needs some non-engineers involved with their products. The 5 hours I just spent trying to figure out how to navigate the menus and apply settings on my new ADI-2 DAC (after reading the manual) proves my point.
I just had an experience on the RME forum that makes the post resonate. At least ten hours out of my life on the forums spent trying to communicate a driver defect, finally I gave up and had to phone a friend who used to work at Microsoft.

Me, embarrassed: "Should it be obvious to me what's wrong?"
Friend, bemused: "...shouldn't it be obvious to the company you paid a grand and already wrote a dozen messages to?"

Plenty of forum members including Matthias were helpful, and I am not IT proficient. I'm still very happy with the DAC and RME's super-useful manual and all the information they offer, but I got the impression that RME expects customers to know how to write code or be fluent in C++... I guess hiring somebody to talk to them masses would just drive up the price. And as already noted, the RME is for professionals and isn't an "audiofool" company (as Matthias, understandably, jokes). Noted :) (edited to be less negative)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back