RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Feb 11, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #5,492 of 6,034
It would be one thing if you could operate the DAC and play with the buttons and knobs without needing to hold it with the other hand.

Feb 12, 2023 at 9:22 AM Post #5,494 of 6,034
Using Ferrum Oor (bypass mode) + RME ADI 2.. Line Out mode in DAC, Headphone Cable connected to Ferrum amp.. Is it okay to keep Auto Reference Level on in the Dac with Susvara's? I sometimes almost max it out to +6 db, regularly close to it.. (you know, some songs are soft as hell) recommended settings? Not usually one to run my stuff towards max output.

Feb 12, 2023 at 9:37 AM Post #5,495 of 6,034
Using Ferrum Oor (bypass mode) + RME ADI 2.. Line Out mode in DAC, Headphone Cable connected to Ferrum amp.. Is it okay to keep Auto Reference Level on in the Dac with Susvara's? I sometimes almost max it out to +6 db, regularly close to it.. (you know, some songs are soft as hell) recommended settings? Not usually one to run my stuff towards max output.
Try increasing the ref level by 6db. If that's not enough increase it by 6db again. Repeat until the volume range is where you like.

You can find Ref Level pressing the IO button, Line Out Settings

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #5,496 of 6,034
Agreed, and you’ve given me some things to look into for sure. I’ve actually recently added the oratory eq settings for the empys on the elite and I am very impressed early on. It took some playing around to figure it out but once you get the hang of it, it’s pretty nice! Did you notice a change in sound on the RME after a certain amount of hours?
No change at all… great from the start…

Feb 14, 2023 at 8:17 AM Post #5,497 of 6,034
Good day!

I Can't turn on both exclusive mode and force volume at the same time when using RME ADI-2 DACs.
I am experiencing this on my Tidal app in my windows 10 PC.

if I turn on Force Volume first and then turn on Exclusive Mode, Exclusive Mode turns on but Force Volume then turns off. If I turn on Exclusive Mode first, the Force Volume sider becomes greyed out and can't be turned on.

Does anyone have the same experience? Or anyone knows what is the fix? Or is this an expected outcome?

Feb 14, 2023 at 10:28 AM Post #5,498 of 6,034
Bug in Tidal app, this happened a while ago and has been fixed and broken, fixed and broken.

Mar 7, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #5,499 of 6,034
Are RME making AKM equipped DACs again? If so, is there any consensus of opinion around whether the AKM or ESS options are subjectively/objectively better performing?

Mar 8, 2023 at 3:20 AM Post #5,500 of 6,034
Are RME making AKM equipped DACs again? If so, is there any consensus of opinion around whether the AKM or ESS options are subjectively/objectively better performing?
The designer said that the differences between the AKM rev 1 and rev 2 are inaudible. I have read claims that there is also no significant difference between AKM rev 2 and the ESS versions. But none of that really matters, because in audio, everybody says whatever he wants.

If you want to buy the RME and are concerned, you should not be. Matthias does not put out junk. There are annoyances but as far as sound quality goes, it is a lot of chipdac and a lot of function for the money.

Mar 8, 2023 at 8:20 AM Post #5,501 of 6,034
The designer said that the differences between the AKM rev 1 and rev 2 are inaudible. I have read claims that there is also no significant difference between AKM rev 2 and the ESS versions. But none of that really matters, because in audio, everybody says whatever he wants.

If you want to buy the RME and are concerned, you should not be. Matthias does not put out junk. There are annoyances but as far as sound quality goes, it is a lot of chipdac and a lot of function for the money.

Thanks very much.

Mar 12, 2023 at 12:37 PM Post #5,502 of 6,034
Is the FS the better model, or the Pro? More importantly, how is the amp mode of this unit? I would want to use it as an all in one solution, but it seems some people like to use a separate amp with it. My current setup is a THX 789 amp and Topping E30 DAC. I know the DAC end would be a substantial upgrade, but would the amp be a downgrade? Or would there be no difference? My headphones are Focal Clears so don't need a ton of power.

Mar 12, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #5,503 of 6,034
Is the FS the better model, or the Pro? More importantly, how is the amp mode of this unit? I would want to use it as an all in one solution, but it seems some people like to use a separate amp with it. My current setup is a THX 789 amp and Topping E30 DAC. I know the DAC end would be a substantial upgrade, but would the amp be a downgrade? Or would there be no difference? My headphones are Focal Clears so don't need a ton of power.
Your setups is already good. Go for the RME ADI DAC FS if you are going to use its features cause you are not going to get a night and day difference in terms of sound quality.

Mar 12, 2023 at 12:42 PM Post #5,504 of 6,034
The Pro is better in all respects as far as I can tell.

If you don't like the amp you can always use the DAC output into some other amp.

For Clears even the ADI-2 FS (non pro) is more amp they you will ever need.

Mar 12, 2023 at 1:13 PM Post #5,505 of 6,034
I think the ADI-2 will be more than enough for the Focal Clear, which means I wont recommend any amp unless you have Arya or higher hungry headphone.

I have not yet found a DAC that can deliver such beautiful high notes, its like crystal on my AryaV2. With a little EQ this DAC sounds pleasing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back