RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Aug 28, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #4,426 of 5,998
I actually have a 12v version on the way too. I actually got it not expecting any improvement in sound but because I am trying to reduce cable clutter and like the more streamlined design of the iPower X (no box rolling around on the floor or falling off desk and I just like the way it looks). I am sure I could've found a cheaper solution but hey, why not get one of these (I already have the 5v version). Good to hear people are happy with the combo. As long as it doesn't ruin the sound (which, if, as RME states, power doesn't matter, it couldn't) then I will be happy anyway. Not really sure why people find a need to tell others where or how to spend there money or what should or should not make them happy. Glad you are enjoying yours. Looking forward to getting mine.

You'll enjoy the improvements I'm sure - please report back here when you test it.

I admire RME's purely scientific and measuring approach, and I suspect the RME's digital section probably is not affected by different power supplies, however the analog stage can be a more complex matter that has some variance past current theory, and the ears are very sensitive organs much like our taste buds: why does an excellent measuring dac like Chord Qutest sound a fair bit different to something like another excellent measuring source like the Apogee Element? Existing measurements (and ASR forum) tells us they will sound exactly the same.

Of course one has to be cautious as the brain can play tricks on us too - so if I'm struggling to hear a difference or thinking oh maybe there is a bit here or a touch there better then I put a lid on it and attribute it to a psychological variability - but when it's an obvious difference doing a side by side A-B testing, even blind testing, then there's something more to it.

Aug 28, 2021 at 5:31 PM Post #4,427 of 5,998
Can you all recommend power supplies that may be cheaper and have a similar effect? Thanks.

iPower X 12V... I also tried the 15V older and cheaper model (non X): also improvement, but the X just takes things up a notch and sprinkles magic.

Aug 28, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #4,428 of 5,998
Aug 28, 2021 at 7:56 PM Post #4,430 of 5,998
Can you all recommend power supplies that may be cheaper and have a similar effect? Thanks.

From my notes - Meanwell medical grade has better specifications than stock PS.

rme adi2 replacement ps
meanwell GSM40A12 (12V) medical
5.5/2.1mm
locking connector: bkl-electronic 072690 or tru components 001582349

Aug 29, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #4,431 of 5,998
I just tested the 3.5mm with my Sennheiser HD650 - it's more relaxed, doesn't have the glare, has a nice bloom, and is overall a more pleasant almost organic listen compared to the larger jack! There is enough volume.

I don't know what's going on with the more powerful headout, it sounds almost plastic and glare, making for a more tiring listen. Perhaps more burn in...

Aug 30, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #4,434 of 5,998
One question, how do you compare the RME ADI-2 DAC to the Chord Quetest, just as DAC without the DSP?
Just as a dac the adi-2 isn't all that amazing. It's not bad. But it's not great.

Realistically the adi-2 should be bought for the features.

The qutest is a much better dac. With the caveat that it's not particularly great with macrodynamics/'slam', so may come across as too 'polite' sounding for some genres.

For similar money my pick would probably be the gustard x26 pro

Aug 30, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #4,435 of 5,998
Just as a dac the adi-2 isn't all that amazing. It's not bad. But it's not great.

The qutest is a much better dac. With the caveat that it's not particularly great with macrodynamics/'slam', so may come across as too 'polite' sounding for some genres.

What do you mean with macrodynamics/slam? Which genres are you talking about?

Aug 30, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #4,436 of 5,998
What do you mean with macrodynamics/slam? Which genres are you talking about?
The initial crack of a snare for example or impact of a kick drum.

On the qutest its somewhat softened compared to other dacs (including the Dave, its not just a chord thing).

Also would apply to a lot of electronic music.

Aug 30, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #4,438 of 5,998

Absolutely, I agree.

Mainly because I can hear bugger all difference between the vast majority of DACs, and those that I can hear a difference with are pumped in certain frequency ranges to get attention to themselves to sell more, and are therefore wrong.

Aug 30, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #4,439 of 5,998
One question, how do you compare the RME ADI-2 DAC to the Chord Quetest, just as DAC without the DSP?
I have both. The RME (ESS version) with iPower and iUSB, is better than the Qutest sound wise for me.. it's more of a flavour thing as both are competing in the same tier. The RME I find bit more refined and neutral, especially the mids which are not so pushed forward as the Qutest are gentler and more relaxed. The Qutest I find it sounds a bit DSP to me, like it's highlighting details in the mids and pushing them forward, as well as working harder to recreate a 3D depth - impressive at times but also can be a little too much.. the RME just lets the music flow out in a very honest, clean way whilst retaining some organic relaxed sense.

IMO, I would have never purchased the Qutest if I had know this before, the RME's value is through the roof considering you get so many features, top tier sound quality that rivals the Qutest and a lovely 3.5mm out... I never heard the AKM dac chip version, but the ESS one is very nice sounding and one of the best sources I've heard.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2021 at 8:57 AM Post #4,440 of 5,998
I have both. The RME (ESS version) with iPower and iUSB, is better than the Qutest sound wise for me.. it's more of a flavour thing as both are competing in the same tier. The RME I find bit more refined and neutral, especially the mids which are not so pushed forward as the Qutest are gentler and more relaxed. The Qutest I find it sounds a bit DSP to me, like it's highlighting details in the mids and pushing them forward, as well as working harder to recreate a 3D depth - impressive at times but also can be a little too much.. the RME just lets the music flow out in a very honest, clean way whilst retaining some organic relaxed sense.

IMO, I would have never purchased the Qutest if I had know this before, the RME's value is through the roof considering you get so many features, top tier sound quality that rivals the Qutest and a lovely 3.5mm out... I never heard the AKM dac chip version, but the ESS one is very nice sounding and one of the best sources I've heard.

Thanks for the advice, by the way, I have an RME AIO Pro (AKM) and a Sound Blaster AE-9 (ESS + Sparkos OP AMPs) both have the same signature, just a slightly more revealing but both have the same "flavor" so in other words AKM or ESS won't change the sound (at least not to my ears)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back