RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Sep 5, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #4,456 of 5,998
I've been looking closely at the extremely attractive RME ADI-2 DAC FS, but I have a few questions about it.

First, will I be able to upgrade to its new firmware versions using the Ubuntu Linux OS? Does RME have firmware downloads for Linux? Or, can one upgrade the DAC's firmware via Android? (I'm guessing "no" on the latter.)

I do not use Microsoft Windows or Apple Macintosh hardware or operating systems. (I've read through this entire thread over the last few days, btw, and I must say it's a bit distressing to see that not a single poster here uses Linux. Fine, whatever, to each his own. But not one person?)

It's also interesting that no one here has, from what I can tell, used this DAC with the Nvidia Shield Pro Android TV box as the DAC's USB audio source, which is what I plan to do.

On the Shield, I'm using the USB Audio Player Pro, JRiver, and Sony Music Center software-programs-for-Android to play my DSD and other music files. (I'm still experimenting with all three. So far, I've used UAPP the most. It works well enough but it's slightly wonky -- some items aren't highlighted so you can't tell where you are in a list, say, of albums -- as UAPP is not officially supported for Android TV.)

I have a one-terabyte SSD (with lots of FLAC and DSD music files on it) USB-attached to the Shield. I need a DAC as the converter between, on the one side, the all-digital Shield and a new all-digital LG CX OLED 77-inch TV, and, on the other side, an analog two-channel room hi-fi sound system.

(I was using the LH Labs Geek Pulse as my DAC for this, but that old dog has just died on me, and, as you all here know, the company ghosted itself long ago.)

I want to hear everything -- all movies and TV content, as well as my DSD and other music files (as well as all streaming radio and/or spotify-type streaming services) -- through the analog system. Without a DAC, of course, all the audio from the Shield gets played through inferior TV speakers.

I plan to pipe the DAC mostly through the analog room sound system (a great-sounding vintage Marantz model 2238 B receiver and a pair of vintage Bose 601 floor speakers, which speakers I plan to upgrade soon) but also occasionally through a pair of Phiaton MS 400 headphones -- the red ones, I'm sure folks here are familiar with them.

Now, about drivers -- isn't Windows the only operating system for which one needs to use that silly ASIO driver or whatever it is? Or any software driver at all? My hope -- and my belief -- is that I can run the DAC from an Android box with NO SOFTWARE DRIVERS. I'm guessing I should be able to do this, but I want to make sure, so I'm running this by you all here.

(I may also plan from time to time to plug the DAC into my Linux box as well, using NO DRIVERS.) Generally speaking, it's my understanding that neither Linux nor Mac typically need drivers with DACs and such. (I did once have to lug the Pulse into my office to upgrade its firmware on a Windows box, because that was the only method LH Labs provided for firmware upgrading.)

Also, forgive my naivete here, but I'm guessing there is no way one can use balanced XLR line-outs to go to RCA inputs and have a balanced signal. This just doesn't exist using RCA connectors, correct? A balanced signal, I'm guessing, would require XLR connections on both ends.

I'm not a super-headphones guy -- though I do enjoy them when I'm in the mood for them -- but as a Linux-head, the ADI-2's customizability greatly appeals to me. I'm just trying to ward off any gotcha's before I pull the trigger, as my use case -- apparently -- is somewhat rarified.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2021 at 5:47 PM Post #4,457 of 5,998
I've been looking closely at the extremely attractive RME ADI-2 DAC FS, but I have a few questions about it.

First, will I be able to upgrade to its new firmware versions using the Ubuntu Linux OS? Does RME have firmware downloads for Linux? Or, can one upgrade the DAC's firmware via Android? (I'm guessing "no" on the latter.)

I do not use Microsoft Windows or Apple Macintosh hardware or operating systems. (I've read through this entire thread over the last few days, btw, and I must say it's a bit distressing to see that not a single poster here uses Linux. Fine, whatever, to each his own. But not one person?)

It's also interesting that no one here has, from what I can tell, used this DAC with the Nvidia Shield Pro Android TV box as the DAC's USB audio source, which is what I plan to do.

On the Shield, I'm using the USB Audio Player Pro, JRiver, and Sony Music Center software-programs-for-Android to play my DSD and other music files. (I'm still experimenting with all three. So far, I've used UAPP the most. It works well enough but it's slightly wonky -- some items aren't highlighted so you can't tell where you are in a list, say, of albums -- as UAPP is not officially supported for Android TV.)

I have a one-terabyte SSD (with lots of FLAC and DSD music files on it) USB-attached to the Shield. I need a DAC as the converter between, on the one side, the all-digital Shield and a new all-digital LG CX OLED 77-inch TV, and, on the other side, an analog two-channel room hi-fi sound system.

(I was using the LH Labs Geek Pulse as my DAC for this, but that old dog has just died on me, and, as you all here know, the company ghosted itself long ago.)

I want to hear everything -- all movies and TV content, as well as my DSD and other music files (as well as all streaming radio and/or spotify-type streaming services) -- through the analog system. Without a DAC, of course, all the audio from the Shield gets played through inferior TV speakers.

I plan to pipe the DAC mostly through the analog room sound system (a great-sounding vintage Marantz model 2238 B receiver and a pair of vintage Bose 601 floor speakers, which speakers I plan to upgrade soon) but also occasionally through a pair of Phiaton MS 400 headphones -- the red ones, I'm sure folks here are familiar with them.

Now, about drivers -- isn't Windows the only operating system for which one needs to use that silly ASIO driver or whatever it is? Or any software driver at all? My hope -- and my belief -- is that I can run the DAC from an Android box with NO SOFTWARE DRIVERS. I'm guessing I should be able to do this, but I want to make sure, so I'm running this by you all here.

(I may also plan from time to time to plug the DAC into my Linux box as well, using NO DRIVERS.) Generally speaking, it's my understanding that neither Linux nor Mac typically need drivers with DACs and such. (I did once have to lug the Pulse into my office to upgrade its firmware on a Windows box, because that was the only method LH Labs provided for firmware upgrading.)

Also, forgive my naivete here, but I'm guessing there is no way one can use balanced XLR line-outs to go to RCA inputs and have a balanced signal. This just doesn't exist using RCA connectors, correct? A balanced signal, I'm guessing, would require XLR connections on both ends.

I'm not a super-headphones guy -- though I do enjoy them when I'm in the mood for them -- but as a Linux-head, the ADI-2's customizability greatly appeals to me. I'm just trying to ward off any gotcha's before I pull the trigger, as my use case -- apparently -- is somewhat rarified.

Thanks for any thoughts.
Android O/S is limited to 48kHz natively and require 3rd party software for bit perfect playback

Sep 5, 2021 at 5:50 PM Post #4,458 of 5,998
Android O/S is limited to 48kHz natively and require 3rd party software for bit perfect playback
No, it's up to 24/192k now, but regardless of that, I've been using that third-party software -- as I indicated in my previous post -- which bypasses the Shield's DAC once the software recognizes a USB DAC.

I've successfully played DSD128 files from the Shield through the Geek Pulse before the Pulse conked out on me. So it's not like that can't be done. It's the whole point of using something like UAPP on the Shield.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2021 at 6:00 PM Post #4,459 of 5,998
No, it's up to 24/192k now, but regardless of that, I've been using that third-party software -- as I indicated in my previous post -- which bypasses the Shield's DAC once the software recognizes a USB DAC.

I've successfully played DSD128 files from the Shield through the Geek Pulse before the Pulse conked out on me. So it's not like that can't be done. It's the whole point of using something like UAPP on the Shield.
which version? my android 9 tablet is locked at 48

Sep 5, 2021 at 6:03 PM Post #4,460 of 5,998
No, it's up to 24/192k now, but regardless of that, I've been using that third-party software -- as I indicated in my previous post -- which bypasses the Shield's DAC. I've successfully played DSD128 files from the Shield through the Geek Pulse before the Pulse conked out on me. So it's not like that can't be done. It's the whole point of using something like UAPP on the Shield.
Are you planning on using the RME ADI-2's features like the PEQ? If not, is there a reason why you are not considering an integrated amp, which could simplify things for you. Something to consider if you are also thinking about upgrading speakers as well (just a suggestion as it might be money better spent if you are on a budget, which I do not know if you are).

I dont have a Shield TV but I did a quick Goodle search and see others have reported using a Shield TV with the ADI-2 (saw some posts on ASR for example). Dont know the exact model.

For the output from the ADI-2 DAC, you should not connect the balanced XLR output from the ADI-2 to an unbalanced RCA input on your amp. The RME ADI-2 has an unbalanced RCA output for this purpose.

Sep 5, 2021 at 6:08 PM Post #4,461 of 5,998
which version? my android 9 tablet is locked at 48
UAPP bypasses Android resampling, similar to how ASIO or Wasapi exclusive mode works on PCs. I used it for my Qobuz subscription to get bitperfect from my Android phones (S9, V60, OnePlus 8t) to my Dragonfly Cobalt (up to 96khz in the case of the DFC). It is a third party app and has to support your DAC and supports local file playback and some streaming services like Qobuz and Tidal (no offline downloads though). Using UAPP, he is correct that is possible to get >48khz on Android.

Edit: I have no idea if UAPP works with the ADI-2 DAC FS since I primarily feed it via coax from my Node 2i.

Edit 2: @watchpocket here is a link to the UAPP thread where people were discussing the RME ADI-2. There are a few other results that come up if you search that thread so I would ask any UAPP related questions there.

Post in thread 'USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP): 24- and 32-bit playback, ubiquitous USB audio support for Android' https://www.head-fi.org/threads/usb...udio-support-for-android.704065/post-16404553

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2021 at 6:16 PM Post #4,462 of 5,998
UAPP bypasses Android resampling, similar to how ASIO or Wasapi exclusive mode works on PCs. I used it for my Qobuz subscription to get bitperfect from my Android phones (S9, V60, OnePlus 8t) to my Dragonfly Cobalt (up to 96khz in the case of the DFC). It is a third party app and has to support your DAC and supports local file playback and some streaming services like Qobuz and Tidal (no offline downloads though). Using UAPP, he is correct that is possible to get >48khz on Android.

Edit: I have no idea if UAPP works with the ADI-2 DAC FS since I primarily feed it via coax from my Node 2i.
i understand and have UAPP. it is the only way I have for bit perfect playback otherwise it is 48kHz

Sep 5, 2021 at 6:19 PM Post #4,463 of 5,998
i understand and have UAPP. it is the only way I have for bit perfect playback otherwise it is 48kHz
So then we are in agreement. OP mentioned UAPP so that was why I replied to your post.

Sep 5, 2021 at 6:56 PM Post #4,464 of 5,998
Are you planning on using the RME ADI-2's features like the PEQ? If not, is there a reason why you are not considering an integrated amp, which could simplify things for you. Something to consider if you are also thinking about upgrading speakers as well (just a suggestion as it might be money better spent if you are on a budget, which I do not know if you are).

I dont have a Shield TV but I did a quick Goodle search and see others have reported using a Shield TV with the ADI-2 (saw some posts on ASR for example). Dont know the exact model.

For the output from the ADI-2 DAC, you should not connect the balanced XOR output from the ADI-2 to an unbalanced RCA input on your amp. The RME ADI-2 has an unbalanced RCA output for this purpose.
> Are you planning on using the RME ADI-2's features like the PEQ

Of course. I did say that I'm interested in the customizability of the DAC.

> If not, is there a reason why you are not considering an integrated amp, which could simplify things for you

Why would I need one? Simplify how? I need a DAC.

> and see others have reported using a Shield TV with the ADI-2

Thank you. I'll look further around with some searches on this. Since I've been reading through this thread, my initial impulse was just to ask here, but I had to wade through a lot of talk about headphones and IEMs. (What did I expect from a forum called Head-fi? LOL.)

> For the output from the ADI-2 DAC, you should not connect the balanced XLR output from the ADI-2 to an unbalanced RCA input on your amp. The RME ADI-2 has an unbalanced RCA output for this purpose.

Yes, it was just some wishful thinking going on there, like maybe I could jerry-rig a non-balanced connection into a balanced one. I'll be using strictly the RCA ports, as I have been. Thanks for your reply.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2021 at 2:25 AM Post #4,467 of 5,998

Thanks for any thoughts.
“It's also interesting that no one here has, from what I can tell, used this DAC with the Nvidia Shield Pro Android TV box as the DAC's USB audio source, which is what I plan to do.”

This is my main application. For TV Streaming Services Listening = Netflix, Prime, etc on my Nvidia Shield Pro.

Connected via USB into Shield - the port furthest from HDMI as recommended my Nvidia.
USB Volume is set to fixed out. As it should be.

VERY IMPORTANT - Turn off Dolby Processing in Shield Settings for Stereo PCM.

More questions please ask - happy to help.

Sep 6, 2021 at 2:43 AM Post #4,468 of 5,998
“It's also interesting that no one here has, from what I can tell, used this DAC with the Nvidia Shield Pro Android TV box as the DAC's USB audio source, which is what I plan to do.”

This is my main application. For TV Streaming Services Listening = Netflix, Prime, etc on my Nvidia Shield Pro.

Connected via USB into Shield - the port furthest from HDMI as recommended my Nvidia.
USB Volume is set to fixed out. As it should be.

VERY IMPORTANT - Turn off Dolby Processing in Shield Settings for Stereo PCM.

More questions please ask - happy to help.
Just to Clarify. My RME ADI-2 DAC is connected to Shield Pro TV for TV Streaming services listening.
this is why I purchased the RME ADI-2 DAC.
Headphones = Focal Clear MG.

Sep 6, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #4,469 of 5,998
Just to Clarify. My RME ADI-2 DAC is connected to Shield Pro TV for TV Streaming services listening.
this is why I purchased the RME ADI-2 DAC.
Headphones = Focal Clear MG.
Great, glad to hear, thanks. Does anyone know anything about firmware upgrades for Linux? (If not, I've posted a question on the RME forum about this.)

Also, no one has said anything about needing drivers on Linux for the ADI-2 DAC. (Probably because no one here uses Linux, LOL. I should probably ask about that on the REM Forum, too.)

But I'm basically ready to pull the trigger. Does anyone have a preferred dealer in the U.S.? I try to buy from Amazon as little as possible.

Sep 6, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #4,470 of 5,998
I have done, and would continue to do so, but support for Linux is very thin on the ground when it comes to commercial software, which, in my case, is unavoidable.

Hence Windows for gaming, and Mac for music production. I'd gladly switch to Linux if devs supported it and offered the same breadth of software available on the the other two platforms. Sadly they don't, and what "equivalents" exists in the Linux eco-system are amateurish at best, and just plain useless at worst.

It's a great OS, but without universal support it remains very much a third runner that's way behind.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back