RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Sep 6, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #4,471 of 5,945
Last edited:
Sep 6, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #4,472 of 5,945
I have done, and would continue to do so, but support for Linux is very thin on the ground when it comes to commercial software, which, in my case, is unavoidable.

Hence Windows for gaming, and Mac for music production. I'd gladly switch to Linux if devs supported it and offered the same breadth of software available on the the other two platforms. Sadly they don't, and what "equivalents" exists in the Linux eco-system are amateurish at best, and just plain useless at worst.

It's a great OS, but without universal support it remains very much a third runner that's way behind.
Well as you point out, that's totally dependent on what you're using it for. For security (and user-freedom), it can't be beat. And there's a whole lot to do on a computer OS besides games and music, but I get your point.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2021 at 3:04 PM Post #4,473 of 5,945
Well as you point out, that's totally dependent on what you're using it for. For security (and user-freedom), it can't be beat. And there's a whole lot to do on a computer OS besides games and music, but I get your point.
And that's really the problem. That whole lot of other things that you can do with a computer can be done just as well on Mac or Windows.

As for security well let's just say that it's so secure that my bank does not allow me to login and do internet banking on a Linux based system. I had a VM with Ubuntu installed purely to do financial stuff, however at the start of 2020 the bank wrote to me saying that it would cease to support Linux based browsers due to security concerns, and by April 2020 I was blocked when using Linux.

Sep 6, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #4,474 of 5,945
The real problem with linux are drivers, yes you get lots of drivers from lots of hardware, but most drivers are soooo basic, Soundblaster, RME, etc. no one does good drivers for linux period.

That's why I don't use linux, I'm not saying is a bad OS, is just that when you have good hardware, there's no good drivers/software to use it.

And to respond your question, no there's no RME drivers for linux (AFAIK), only for Mac or Windows, which are by far the best driver suppliers of any sound card in the world.

Sep 6, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #4,475 of 5,945
And that's really the problem. That whole lot of other things that you can do with a computer can be done just as well on Mac or Windows.

As for security well let's just say that it's so secure that my bank does not allow me to login and do internet banking on a Linux based system. I had a VM with Ubuntu installed purely to do financial stuff, however at the start of 2020 the bank wrote to me saying that it would cease to support Linux based browsers due to security concerns, and by April 2020 I was blocked when using Linux.
I've never had such a problem. You can easily get a browser extension that shows a different browser to the network. And all those programs on Mac and Windows are neither free dollar-wise nor free as in freedom. Mac and Windows will subvert you and surveil you in too many ways to recount here. Their main goal is profit. You have to want to use something to find out how to use it well. The fact is that the future of free, personal computing is in peril, and Linux shows us the way out of that.

As I said earlier, however, to each his own. If you like Mac and Windows, go for it. It was just a bit of a surprise not to find a single Linux user here. That's OK, Linux has a large, global user-base outside of head-fi. Anyway, we're a bit off-topic at this point, so I'll leave it.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2021 at 4:03 PM Post #4,476 of 5,945
Just upgrade your DAC in a friend's, neighbor's or family member's PC or Mac every year or so. Or install a Win10 in a VM. It is not like the ADI-2 DAC needs updating regularly, and still works great even with old firmware.

Sep 7, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #4,482 of 5,945
Yes NVIDIA Shield over samples always to 192. That’s why Android OS is unacceptable.
It's my understanding that if you use, for example, USB Audio Player Pro (which has to be side-loaded onto the Shield), with a DAC plugged via USB into an Nvidia Shield Pro Android TV box, UAPP will recognize the "USB device" -- the DAC -- and will bypass the Android box's audio system. I had no problem with my previous DAC displaying "DSD128," and UAPP also displayed "DSD128" for both the file being played and the DAC. You may have to have all your settings just right in the Shield for this to happen, and I think you need to have "Dolby Digtal Plus" disabled. YMMV.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #4,483 of 5,945
It's my understanding that if you use, for example, USB Audio Player Pro (which has to be side-loaded onto the Shield), with a DAC plugged via USB into an Nvidia Shield Pro Android TV box, UAPP will recognize the "USB device" -- the DAC -- and will bypass the Android box's audio system. I had no problem with my previous DAC displaying "DSD128," and UAPP also displayed "DSD128" for both the file being played and the DAC. You may have to have all your settings just right in the Shield for this to happen, and I think you need to have "Dolby Digtal Plus" disabled. YMMV.
Yes thank you. Am aware of USB Audio Player Pro but don’t have a Google Phone so can’t do this unfortunately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back