RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Oct 24, 2020 at 5:50 PM Post #3,481 of 6,034
Now thats what I am talking about. With the RME you have so much room for headphone upgrades in the future. I bet the RME is pulling out the best in the Meze.
Indeed indeed, never thought my 99's are that capable :o2smile: This little machine is making me happy each and every day :L3000: Now onto saving for Empyreans :joy:

Oct 24, 2020 at 11:56 PM Post #3,482 of 6,034
In the price category? I don't think there is any competition. RME is a pro audio company that just happened to put out something the hifi guys can use. They probably don't want to be mass market and get pushed into bluetooth, roon, and a bunch of other crap.
That is a great point. If they were pushed into bluetooth that would be bad for all of us.

Oct 25, 2020 at 12:00 AM Post #3,483 of 6,034
On the low end of price, Meier Corda Jazz-ff is surprisingly good with HD 600 and does a great job with LCD-2C.
Going up in price the V280 is killer for just about everything. I have an ATROX V2 also but I can't compare it to the Violectric because they're not in the same place.
The vioelectric is the only upgrade I am considering. How does it change the RME sound and which cans have you found the best results?

Oct 25, 2020 at 12:01 AM Post #3,484 of 6,034
Indeed indeed, never thought my 99's are that capable :o2smile: This little machine is making me happy each and every day :L3000: Now onto saving for Empyreans :joy:
you and me both man. You and me both

Oct 25, 2020 at 5:38 AM Post #3,486 of 6,034
The vioelectric is the only upgrade I am considering. How does it change the RME sound and which cans have you found the best results?
My RME setup is either out the front headphone jack or into a Lyr 2. I haven't used the V280 with it, my V280 runs balanced off my Brooklyn DAC+ and is pretty much just for my Sennheisers, and LCD-3F once in while. I would say that you should expect the V280 will let the RME say what it has to say and not color it in any significant way. There is a big V280 thread, if you can't find it I'll post the link.

Oct 25, 2020 at 4:40 PM Post #3,487 of 6,034
Just wondering if anyone's tried the Ether 2s straight out of the RME? They're a little harder to drive than my LCD 2Fs and ZMF VCs. I currently use them on my PC via an Audioquest Cobalt and Rupert Neve RNHP. I'd like to keep the setup as simple as possible. Do you think the RME on its own is likely to improve on the current setup?

Oct 25, 2020 at 6:52 PM Post #3,491 of 6,034
Which tube amp are you referencing?

In my case an OTL amp, Woo Audio WA3, but this is good only with high impedance headphones. I have Sennheisers and a ZMF. But the WA6 works with all headphones.

Oct 26, 2020 at 3:56 AM Post #3,493 of 6,034
It will work great with most or all tube amps, why not?

Oct 26, 2020 at 6:11 AM Post #3,494 of 6,034
It will work great with most or all tube amps, why not?

One observation: For me the RME by itself connected via USB provides a clean, zero-noise background irrespective of where the volume is at and what headphones I plug in. But when I connect the RME to the tube amps, a low level noise is audible when the volume is off. So I resorted to using optical to the RME and this takes me back to zero noise, even with the tube amps. Is this your experience too?

Oct 26, 2020 at 6:34 AM Post #3,495 of 6,034
One observation: For me the RME by itself connected via USB provides a clean, zero-noise background irrespective of where the volume is at and what headphones I plug in. But when I connect the RME to the tube amps, a low level noise is audible when the volume is off. So I resorted to using optical to the RME and this takes me back to zero noise, even with the tube amps. Is this your experience too?
Interesting but I'm not sure I understand what you mean. I always run my DACs in line out mode (0 dB). I have auto ref off. I wonder if auto ref is causing noise in your scenario.
I don't think I'm getting noise when the RME is not playing but I'll check it. May take a while...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back