RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Oct 23, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #3,466 of 6,034
How about we get back to talking about how great our units are compared to the competition. I will start.

The other night I was listening with the RME and various headphones. I started to think about the fact that I have no desire to upgrade. This is an absolute first in my headfi journey. Even the headphones I was using I was wonder about upgrades. I know there is the chord RME comparison which has been addressed here. I am curious about the comparison but not enough to let this unit go. Then I was thinking... is there competition in this price category? If not? Where is everyone? I seriously think this unit does not get enough love. There are not a ton of reviews out there so I am thinking I found something special. But seriously is it just a lack of advertising? Where is everyone?

Oct 23, 2020 at 7:21 PM Post #3,467 of 6,034
Its really hard when science meets in an area we enjoy artistic with our own expectations and preferences

Thats why i choose the rme it does the science part right and gives me the opportunity to color it for my taste

Oct 23, 2020 at 7:29 PM Post #3,468 of 6,034
How about we get back to talking about how great our units are compared to the competition. I will start.

The other night I was listening with the RME and various headphones. I started to think about the fact that I have no desire to upgrade. This is an absolute first in my headfi journey. Even the headphones I was using I was wonder about upgrades. I know there is the chord RME comparison which has been addressed here. I am curious about the comparison but not enough to let this unit go. Then I was thinking... is there competition in this price category? If not? Where is everyone? I seriously think this unit does not get enough love. There are not a ton of reviews out there so I am thinking I found something special. But seriously is it just a lack of advertising? Where is everyone?

I think it's just the nature of things. New offerings get more attention. Some of the best offerings go unnoticed after awhile.

Oct 23, 2020 at 7:48 PM Post #3,469 of 6,034

Exactly, my personal enjoyment of music with Meze 99C's was taken multiple levels up from any previous gear. It's mindblowing how this combo sounds, ADI-2 DAC is a dream come true :beerchug:

Oct 23, 2020 at 7:52 PM Post #3,470 of 6,034

RME is mostly into Pro audio therefore they are not advertising a lot in consumer channels and hence the relatively low popularity.

Mind you, the RME is very close to my personal endgame with its tweaking and features. Dont think any other DAC will match up in sound and features for this price.

Only of the few DAC/Amp combos that sound right off the bat with the notoriously difficult to power HD800. Its the quality not quantity in the HD800s case and this Teutonic combo covers all bases.

Oct 24, 2020 at 5:05 AM Post #3,471 of 6,034
Too much talk about Dac types. Delta-Sigma, R2R, FPGA... The whole implementation actually matters more than the type/starting square. Silly but trendy example: it is like talking about races. Blacks are better than whites, whites are better than blacks. Colour/type is not the point. There are good and bad people in all races. It is exactly the same with Dac designs.

I agree with you.
When I seat down and start listening to music, I really don’t know and I don’t care what type of DAC is the one I’m using.
I want the best experience I can have in a global way since I am a music lover.
And with ADI-2 I get that.
No matter what HF I plug, I know I will be transported to the magical place.
I had a Chord Hugo 2 for 1.5 years and I don’t miss it. Sold my first ADI-2 and two months later I was buying another one.
Audeze LCD-2c and ADI-2 it’s the pair I aimed for all my life. I really don’t need anything else.
Can I get better? Of course but at what price? Worth that price? I don’t know and I don’t care because what I have fulfill all my requirements.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2020 at 5:31 AM Post #3,472 of 6,034
I agree with you.
When I seat down and start listening to music, I really don’t know and I don’t care what type of DAC is the one I’m using.
I want the best experience I can have in a global way since I am a music lover.
And with ADI-2 I get that.
No matter what HF I plug, I know I will be transported to the magical place.
I had a Chord Hugo 2 for 1.5 years and I don’t miss it. Sold my first ADI-2 and two months later I was buying another one.
Audeze LCD-2c and ADI-2 it’s the pair I aimed for all my life. I really don’t need anything else.
Can I get better? Of course but at what price? Worth that price? I don’t know and I don’t care because what I have fulfill all my requirements.
You are in a great place. I've been searching for this so called end game sound since I got into headphones. The RME is a great DAC and competes well with other top tier DACs. I applaud you for resisting the inch to upgrade because it is not easy.

Oct 24, 2020 at 6:32 AM Post #3,473 of 6,034
You are in a great place. I've been searching for this so called end game sound since I got into headphones. The RME is a great DAC and competes well with other top tier DACs. I applaud you for resisting the inch to upgrade because it is not easy.

I'm not sure if "end game sound" exists.
For most of us this is an hobby. And like any other hobby, things are much more emotional than rational.
Until now I spent much more money with this hobby than I should.
I had many many equipments and started to have comparison points.
And now I have a more precise idea of what I like and what I don't (from this point of view, the money was well spent).
When I bought CH2 I couldn't believe my ears. Such a fantastic sound from such a small equipment. I didn't imagine it was possible.
But I think is much more expensive than I like and IMO has some flaws in usability.
So I sold it and tried some DAPs but I could't get the same enjoyment.
Then I tried the ADI-2. Another amazing surprise with the musicality and the dynamics.
And then I bought Audeze LCD-2c and all became obvious.
ADI-2 and LCD-2c is more or less the same price of CH2 and I'm getting the same levels of pleasure.
It's a solid combo and I don't have the itch of trying other gear.
I don't call it "end game sound" but fits all my needs and let me enjoy the music the way I always wanted.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #3,474 of 6,034
For most of us this is an hobby. And like any other hobby, things are much more emotional than rational.
And now I have a more precise idea of what I like and what I don't (from this point of view, the money was well spent).
When I bought CH2 I couldn't believe my ears. Such a fantastic sound from such a small equipment. I didn't imagine it was possible.
But I think is much more expensive than I like and IMO has some flaws in usability.
Then I tried the ADI-2. Another amazing surprise with the musicality and the dynamics.
ADI-2 and LCD-2c is more or less the same price of CH2 and I'm getting the same levels of pleasure.
I don't call it "end game sound" but fits all my needs and let me enjoy the music the way I always wanted.
I had a similar path to find my preferred sound signature as well. I know I spent a lot more than I should have and unfortunately for me just about everything that I enjoyed was near TOTL. There are some jewels out there as I discovered on my journey. From amps, DAC’s, to headphones there are products that perform way above there price. I have a mixture of mid and upper gear because I’m an enthusiast and love great sound.

The Hugo 2 is an amazing piece of kit. I like what you did in picking up a comparable DAC in the RME and a sweet sounding headphone in the LCD-2C’s for nearly the same price. The combo sound net you plenty of enjoyment. The RME’s headphone output is one of the best I’ve heard. From a feature standpoint the RME ADi-2 FS is almost unbeatable.

Oct 24, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #3,475 of 6,034
Exactly, my personal enjoyment of music with Meze 99C's was taken multiple levels up from any previous gear. It's mindblowing how this combo sounds, ADI-2 DAC is a dream come true :beerchug:
Now thats what I am talking about. With the RME you have so much room for headphone upgrades in the future. I bet the RME is pulling out the best in the Meze.

Oct 24, 2020 at 12:53 PM Post #3,476 of 6,034
RME is mostly into Pro audio therefore they are not advertising a lot in consumer channels and hence the relatively low popularity.

Mind you, the RME is very close to my personal endgame with its tweaking and features. Dont think any other DAC will match up in sound and features for this price.

Only of the few DAC/Amp combos that sound right off the bat with the notoriously difficult to power HD800. Its the quality not quantity in the HD800s case and this Teutonic combo covers all bases.
I agree my HD800s don't sound right with the RME. I use a dark voice connected to the RME for them. With the tweaks in the RME it is a perfect combination for me.

Oct 24, 2020 at 1:25 PM Post #3,477 of 6,034

In the price category? I don't think there is any competition. RME is a pro audio company that just happened to put out something the hifi guys can use. They probably don't want to be mass market and get pushed into bluetooth, roon, and a bunch of other crap.

Oct 24, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #3,478 of 6,034

Yep the RME and LCD-2C is rather killer, fantastic pairing.

Now thats what I am talking about. With the RME you have so much room for headphone upgrades in the future. I bet the RME is pulling out the best in the Meze.

The RME is a solid DAC. The amp is just not happening for high impedance dynamics. I don't consider that much of an issue, I have all my DACs running into amps. The only cans I use right out of the RME are HD 25s, LDC-2C, and Fostex.

I agree my HD800s don't sound right with the RME. I use a dark voice connected to the RME for them. With the tweaks in the RME it is a perfect combination for me.

Yep that's the way to do it.

Oct 24, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #3,479 of 6,034
The RME is a solid DAC. The amp is just not happening for high impedance dynamics. I don't consider that much of an issue, I have all my DACs running into amps. The only cans I use right out of the RME are HD 25s, LDC-2C, and Fostex.

Fully agree. I run mine into an OTL tube amp. What solid state amps do you recommend?

Oct 24, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #3,480 of 6,034
Fully agree. I run mine into an OTL tube amp. What solid state amps do you recommend?
On the low end of price, Meier Corda Jazz-ff is surprisingly good with HD 600 and does a great job with LCD-2C.
Going up in price the V280 is killer for just about everything. I have an ATROX V2 also but I can't compare it to the Violectric because they're not in the same place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back