RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
May 7, 2020 at 3:29 PM Post #2,297 of 6,034
this is a tough conundrum:
ADI 2, Hugo 2 or Qutest + THX789
For desktop use only I would narrow it down to ADI2 and Qutest. Qutest is essentially the same DAC as the Hugo2 without a battery and headphone out. If you don't need portability, no need to pay the extra for H2.
I used to own the Qutest with some SS amps, now I have got the RME ADI2 and the THX-789 on order.

After previously owning the Mojo, Hugo2, Qutest, TT2 and now the RME I can say that the RME is more of a studio reference sound. More neutral, still very clean, detailed and dynamic. Chord in general sounds a bit more 'romantic', more lifelike. Still very detailed, but a smoother and more comfortable sound. A little warmer too, but without loosing out on any details. The RME is punchier and even as a Chord believer I would risk saying it is more fun with modern music, a bit more forward. Between the RME and the Qutest/H2 it really comes down to what you are looking for: a smoother, more lifelike and slightly more engaging sound, or a fun, clean, dynamic and confident performance. Two great horses from different stables.

May 7, 2020 at 3:52 PM Post #2,299 of 6,034
For desktop use only I would narrow it down to ADI2 and Qutest. Qutest is essentially the same DAC as the Hugo2 without a battery and headphone out. If you don't need portability, no need to pay the extra for H2.
I used to own the Qutest with some SS amps, now I have got the RME ADI2 and the THX-789 on order.

After previously owning the Mojo, Hugo2, Qutest, TT2 and now the RME I can say that the RME is more of a studio reference sound. More neutral, still very clean, detailed and dynamic. Chord in general sounds a bit more 'romantic', more lifelike. Still very detailed, but a smoother and more comfortable sound. A little warmer too, but without loosing out on any details. The RME is punchier and even as a Chord believer I would risk saying it is more fun with modern music, a bit more forward. Between the RME and the Qutest/H2 it really comes down to what you are looking for: a smoother, more lifelike and slightly more engaging sound, or a fun, clean, dynamic and confident performance. Two great horses from different stables.

Thank you very much for sharing, by any chance have u also tried the Benchmark DAC3?

May 7, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #2,300 of 6,034
For $700 less than a Cutest and half the price of a Hugo2, The RME is an absolute bargain by comparison at this level of sound quality IMO.
In the UK the difference is less. £1190 for Qutest and £850 for the RME. And you can get the Qutest secondhand for £900. (RME secondhand for £750.)
But I agree, the RME is absolutely insane value for money.
Thank you very much for sharing, by any chance have u also tried the Benchmark DAC3?
Unfortunately I haven't.

May 7, 2020 at 4:15 PM Post #2,301 of 6,034
In the UK the difference is less. £1190 for Qutest and £850 for the RME. And you can get the Qutest secondhand for £900. (RME secondhand for £750.)
But I agree, the RME is absolutely insane value for money.

Unfortunately I haven't.

Where I am, there’s a used Qutest asking £800 but no box nothing just a USB cable

btw, I recall that you love the Empyrean.The first time I heard it, I absolutely loved it but felt that it could be too warm or lush (demo’ed on TT2)

with a RME or say even Mojo + THX789, would the empyrean be less warm/thick?

Last edited:
May 7, 2020 at 4:35 PM Post #2,302 of 6,034
Where I am, there’s a used Qutest asking £800 but no box nothing just a USB cable

btw, I recall that you love the Empyrean.The first time I heard it, I absolutely loved it but felt that it could be too warm or lush (demo’ed on TT2)

with a RME or say even Mojo + THX789, would the empyrean be less warm/thick?
If you want to avoid the Empyrean to sound too warm and thick (which is a good approach) I think all the combos you mentioned should be fine. IMO the Empyrean is great out of the TT2, and it would probably benefit a lot from the RME's clarity and punch. Mojo? I love the Mojo for what it is (unbeatable portable sound for the price) but it is not really on RME or TT2 level.

May 7, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #2,303 of 6,034
If you want to avoid the Empyrean to sound too warm and thick (which is a good approach) I think all the combos you mentioned should be fine. IMO the Empyrean is great out of the TT2, and it would probably benefit a lot from the RME's clarity and punch. Mojo? I love the Mojo for what it is (unbeatable portable sound for the price) but it is not really on RME or TT2 level.

I recall the time I was looking to demo the Verite, spent awhile w VO and VC then I noticed the empyrean and thought oh well might as well since it’s not been demo-ed previously

And oh wow..sure it’s not as fast nor detailed as I’d liked (Diana Phi fastest and most detailed headphone I ever heard) but it sounded so enjoyable, albeit too warm for some genres as per my own listening preferences that is

May 7, 2020 at 5:07 PM Post #2,304 of 6,034
I recall the time I was looking to demo the Verite, spent awhile w VO and VC then I noticed the empyrean and thought oh well might as well since it’s not been demo-ed previously

And oh wow..sure it’s not as fast nor detailed as I’d liked (Diana Phi fastest and most detailed headphone I ever heard) but it sounded so enjoyable, albeit too warm for some genres as per my own listening preferences that is
True. The Empyrean is super fun, but not the epitome of neutrality in the price range. Very spacious, natural and engaging, but not the champion of technicalities amongst other (more expensive) flagship headphones. But I think the price is reflecting this pretty well.
I enjoyed the Empyrean more than the LCD4 or HE1000V2 or Verite open or HD800S or Utopia, but all of this comes down to personal preference.

May 8, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #2,305 of 6,034
I just received my RME ADI-2 today, and I am blown away by this quality and sound, as well as the incredibly powerful amp.

I am upgrading from an iFi micro iDSD Black Label, and have thoroughly loved that product for its versatility, but preferred something more permanent for home. I ended up ordering a SMSL SP200 before I jumped on this RME, and currently debating if I should send the SP200 back, as it hasnt arrived yet. I am having a hard time finding a need for it now with the RME providing even more power than my black label could(without it getting hot, as on turbo mode its not advised to use it permanently).

Overall though I can say I am a believer in the massive praise this thing has seen, and LOVE the amount of tinkering you can do on hardware. My only complaint now is my DT1990's need to show up(this pandemic messed up Beyers production line).

May 8, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #2,306 of 6,034
I have just had a listening session with a fellow audio enthusiast. RME-ADI2, Hugo TT, Hugo TT2, LCD2C, LCD3, Arya and Susvara. We both agreed that the RME is phenomenal value for money and it was actually driving the Susvara surprisingly well.

May 8, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #2,307 of 6,034
I have just had a listening session with a fellow audio enthusiast. RME-ADI2, Hugo TT, Hugo TT2, LCD2C, LCD3, Arya and Susvara. We both agreed that the RME is phenomenal value for money and it was actually driving the Susvara surprisingly well.
How did it compare to the TT and TT2?

May 8, 2020 at 3:42 PM Post #2,308 of 6,034
How did it compare to the TT and TT2?
Both the TT and TT2 are better in my opinion, but the RME comes almost embarrassingly close. As I said in one of my previous comments recently the Chord sound is a bit more lifelike and smoother. The RME is still super clean though and dynamic. The TT2 is better in resolving capabilities and spaciousness than the TT. All three are great DACs. Whether the difference is worth your money can only be your call. More details in another post.

May 8, 2020 at 8:00 PM Post #2,309 of 6,034
Both the TT and TT2 are better in my opinion, but the RME comes almost embarrassingly close. As I said in one of my previous comments recently the Chord sound is a bit more lifelike and smoother. The RME is still super clean though and dynamic. The TT2 is better in resolving capabilities and spaciousness than the TT. All three are great DACs. Whether the difference is worth your money can only be your call. More details in another post.
Thanks. I have that darn itch for the TT2, but it would be a costly remedy to the itch.

May 9, 2020 at 8:46 AM Post #2,310 of 6,034
Rme vs the Hugo 2....

Which does the xfade better?
I too am interested in this comparison.
Having replicated the RME crossfeed settings using Neutron, even with the 700Hz, -3dB setting, the effect is modest, with the image moving more front and centre, but still very much inside the head. There also seems to be a slight skewing with binaural recordings, but maybe that's to be expected. How does the Hugo 2's crossfeed image differ from that of the RME, and is it any more out-of-head?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back